LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
rick030391

getting windows to see a linux partition

hi, everyone!!!

im new here so i've probably put this in the wrong place...

could someone please tell me if it is possible to get windows XP Professional to see a linux partition on the same hard-drive, if it is possible, how. ive been trying for days and looked everywhere, please HELP!!!!

Old 02-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
you could use somethign like explore2fs, but you really really should not even bother, you'll break stuff very quickly. use a shared vfat / fat32 partition to move data between two systems like this.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
rick030391

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_kewpie
you could use somethign like explore2fs, but you really really should not even bother, you'll break stuff very quickly. use a shared vfat / fat32 partition to move data between two systems like this.

ok, thanks.

i thought when i couldnt find anything on google about it might not be worth it, my science teacher and some computer technicians have been trying for years and cant find out how to do it. i'll just blame windows for this, as its normally windows' fault!, thanks

Old 02-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
thekid

Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04

Rep: Reputation: 30
It's because MS doesn't recognize Linux filesystems, i.e. ext2, and reiserfs. Yet another MS attempt at ruling the world.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #5
karpi

Distribution: Suse

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hello,

I use a "Totalcommander" with a reiserfs plugin.
But it is read-only.

HTH

Old 02-25-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
cs-cam

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 57
There is a Windows driver for ext2/3 that works. I think it's read only but it plugs in quite nicely unlike explore2fs. Google for EXT2IFS, I think that's it

Old 02-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
pixellany
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid
It's because MS doesn't recognize Linux filesystems, i.e. ext2, and reiserfs. Yet another MS attempt at ruling the world.
ummmmmm....there is absolutely no requirement for MS to read Linux filessystems---any more than Adobe should be required to read .doc or .ppt files. Plus, MS has better tools for ruling the world....

To the OP's question: Best solution is shared data partition (FAT32)--ideally on a separate physical drive.

Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
thekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany
ummmmmm....there is absolutely no requirement for MS to read Linux filessystems---any more than Adobe should be required to read .doc or .ppt files. Plus, MS has better tools for ruling the world....

To the OP's question: Best solution is shared data partition (FAT32)--ideally on a separate physical drive.
There's no requirement for Linux to see ntfs/fat partitions either, but it does. It's just MS edging out the competition again.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
pixellany
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
Here is the problem: Microsoft is an entity--a corporation with established policies, business plan, etc.
Linux does not have any of these things........to be sure, they exist with RedHat, Novell, etc.---but not for Linux.

The Linux community has support for NTFS, because they are motivated to do so. MS has no motivation to support Linux filesystem---so they don't. And that is OK.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
thekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellany
Here is the problem: Microsoft is an entity--a corporation with established policies, business plan, etc.
Linux does not have any of these things........to be sure, they exist with RedHat, Novell, etc.---but not for Linux.

The Linux community has support for NTFS, because they are motivated to do so. MS has no motivation to support Linux filesystem---so they don't. And that is OK.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for capitalism and free enterprise. Hell, that's what makes America great. I was merely stating why MS doesn't support Linux FS', which because they want sole control over the IT world.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
pixellany
LQ Veteran

They already HAVE sole control---we'll almost...
However, I don't think lack of support for Linux files systems is one of their major power tools for achieving world dominance.........

Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
thekid

How about this: By not recognizing any filesystem but their own they are saying screw the user who doesn't conform to our view of the world as it is stated by the almighty Bill Gates.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
MasterC
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu ; CentOS ; Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 69
Eh? What does this all have to do with fixing this person's problem

Let's keep on track. We've identified that MS doesn't (by default) recognize other OS's filesystems, and Linux does, no need to subjectively break this down. What are the work arounds available?

Another (albeit more complicated) way would be to run a Samba server. Windows works with Samba (or rather Samba works with windows...) and you could share out your linux filesystem with it (but this requires a second linux box to play the mediator and file server). Far more complicated, but for dedicated file sharing between multiple OS's, Samba is a nice piece of software to look into.

Cool

Old 02-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
Franklin

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 217Reputation: 217Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC
Another (albeit more complicated) way would be to run a Samba server. Windows works with Samba (or rather Samba works with windows...) and you could share out your linux filesystem with it (but this requires a second linux box to play the mediator and file server). Far more complicated, but for dedicated file sharing between multiple OS's, Samba is a nice piece of software to look into.

Cool
Could not agree more. My server serves up the same /data directory via samba and nfs. The filesystem is ext3 and windows doesn't know the difference. You don't need much in the line of hardware to do this either. My server is a celeron 366 runnining at 412 with 128 MB of ram, no mouse, no keyboard, an od vid card, and of course a network card. Best setup, and you learn alot doing it.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
Moved to General since neither the original question
nor the resulting philosophical discussion are Linux-
or Linux-Newbie questions ....

Cheers,
Tink