LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
AzCoder
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, Suse

Rep: Reputation: 0
DNF update super slow on 32 bit Fedora

For the last several releases of fedora I have used the DNF upgrade commands. I have a 32 bit F23 and a 64 bit F23 on the same system that I upgraded to F25. The 64 bit version update took about 1 1/2 hours to complete for ~4000 packages. The 32 bit version update took more than 24 hours for ~3900 packages! They both download the packages very fast, but the 32 version starts to crawl when doing the transaction check and update and then gets slower from there. There seems to not be any disk or CPU activity. CPU is only about 3-4%. It looks like it is just waiting a second or two between operations. I have seen this from dnf since dnf replaced yum.

This slowness also seems to be the case doing a list of updates. The 64 bit version zips through, while the 32 bit snails along. If I do multiple updates in a row, each one gets slower and slower until it takes minutes to do transaction checks for only a few updates. If I reboot the system, the normal speed is restored, but again slows with each update.

Any ideas? I really need to maintain at least one 32 bit version of Fedora Linux for testing. Some one else must have seen this too.

Jim

Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120
I only infrequently update my 32-bit F25, so the updates are fairly large, but haven't noticed similar.
My issues tend to be slow mirrors - and crappy ADSL.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
AzCoder
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, Suse

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
I only infrequently update my 32-bit F25, so the updates are fairly large, but haven't noticed similar.
My issues tend to be slow mirrors - and crappy ADSL.
Try doing your updates in steps, like "dnf -y update a\* b\*". That will just do a* & b*. Then do "dnf -y update c\* d\*", etc for 10 or more update sequences. See how slow the updates get.