LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Development Machine Build & Setup

I am building yet another development system all tricked out. Rather than write my own install history and steps (which I must have done a hundred times), I thought doing a thread here might bring together some positive collaboration.

Specifically the dev environment I will be building targets these:

Debian install, Cross compiler/toolchain (BBB & am3*x), yocto, git, C++ DSP libs, nightly regressions (Jenkins), JS/mysql web, neo4j, LabJack, Node.js, Python, etc.

The new parts I will adding this time are R Studio, Eclipse, and Anaconda. (I am a command-line guy, but some of our developers insist on IDEs)

I am not an expert, nor am I a newbie, but I do hope that folks here feel that this is an appropriate use of LinuxQuestions.org, and that someone gets some minor amount of help somewhere. Oh; I have a pretty busy schedule so please forgive in advance any tardy and/or terse responses.

The Plan:

Each post will be a separate part the build, (ie OS install, yocto, etc.) Where possible I will point to existing posts and not copy the content into here.

Long live Linux!

Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Debian Installation

Normally I build VMs, but this time I have need of a field laptop for testing in remote regions of the world. I have a Dell E6410 with Windows7Pro setup in a 128GB partition to start with. It has served me well, but the Ubuntu 12.04 I have on it has been through so much that it's time for a clean start. Now that I have Yocto dialed in on Debian8, I've decided to rebuild the Linux on this Dell.

The system I set up uses a separate partition for the /home directory, but that is irrelevant here. The arrangement I follow on linux is to completely separate my code, data, files, whatever from the OS, by keeping everything tightly confined within the /home directory. Also, all development (except installation of code outside the /home directory) is done with a standard user account. This greatly reduces the chance that some errant program that I write or download will damage the operating system.

Specifics:

Dell E6410, i7 620M, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M, 8GB, 1TB SSD

A long hard lesson about these Dells is that the stock supplied power supply can overload, shut down, and cause cold shutdowns of the kernel that will orphan inodes (bad) and eventually destroy the OS. And you can be misled about it, because once the laptop shuts down, the power supply resets, and you have no clue what happened. Get a hold of a Dell 130 watt adapter if you can.

You will need:

- An optical disc CD-R/DVD-R with debian-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso imaged onto it (https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/)
- A USB 2.0 stick with missing network firmware files, prepared as described here: [SOLVED] How to provide non-free firmware files to the Debian Jessie Installer. Before starting the install, insert this memory stick into some computer and make a note of its name. This will help you identify it in the blkid output later.
- A network cable connected to the internet (Optional, but likely better). If you plan to use wireless, you'll need a network to connect to and a password.
- An hour or two.

Steps to check out the laptop:
  1. Plug in computer and press power on. Press the F12 key until you see "Preparing one-time boot menu..." appear briefly in upper right corner.
  2. Arrow down to Diagnostics under OTHER OPTIONS: and press Enter.
  3. The system will conduct a number of self tests. Pay attention as you will be asked to very that the screen is working.
Steps to Start Install:
  1. Power off computer and connect AC power adapter.
  2. Power on computer and press F2. You will see "Preparing to enter Setup..." appear briefly in upper right corner then you will be taken the the bios page.
  3. Arrow down to "Systems Configuration" and press Enter.
  4. Arrow down to SATA Operation and choose AHCI as the SATA operating mode.
  5. Press Exit and computer will shut down.
  6. Insert optical disc into drive.
  7. Prepare to push F12, and to look at the bottom of the screen and read the BIOS Revision AXX. (If you are older than A16, you might want to consider upgrading).
  8. Press power button.
  9. When Dell BIOS screen appears, press F12. You will see "Preparing one-time boot menu..." appear briefly in upper right corner then you will be taken the the boot selection page.
  10. Arrow down to select "CD/DVD/" option under "LEGACY BOOT." (There is more after the second slash in CD/DVD/, but it varies depending on which type of drive you have.)
  11. Press return.
  12. A cyan colored screen will appear with "Install" highlighted. Press Enter.

Now the install has started.

Steps in Beginning of Install:
  1. Choose language, location, keyboard.
  2. Some time later you will be asked about missing firmware. Here you follow the instruction mentioned above with one very important difference: This post [SOLVED] How to provide non-free firmware files to the Debian Jessie Installer. says to press <CTRL>+<Alt>+<F5> when finished, for me it was: <CTRL>+<Alt>+<F1>.
  3. Ensure <Yes> is selected in the [!] Detect network hardware dialog box and press Enter.
  4. Now the [!] Configure the network dialog box will appear. If you are cabled choose "eth0". If wireless "wlan0".
  5. Press Enter.
  6. Supply hostname, tab to <Continue>, press Enter.
  7. You can skip Domain name: tab to <Continue>, press Enter.
  8. Enter root password, create user account and password.
  9. Before choosing time zone, this is a good time to unmount the USB stick used above.
  10. With the [!] Configure the clock dialog box showing, press <CTRL>+<Alt>+<F2>
  11. Then type "umount /lib/firmware" and press Enter.
  12. Remove USB stick.
  13. Now press <CTRL>+<Alt>+<F1> to return to the install.
  14. Select time zone and press Enter.
  15. After some seconds of action, the partitioner will reappear. The easiest thing to do is "Use entire disk" (Skipping details of my partitioning scheme)
  16. Use the tab key to select <Yes> and write to the disk.

Now a time of downloading and installing occurs ...

Finish installation:
  1. Select country and mirror for package manager
  2. You can bypass (tab to <Continue> and press Enter) the HTTProxy part unless you are a network that requires one
  3. Now you wait while the Net Install pulls down packages from the internet (can take a while)
  4. Participate in the popularity contest if you want, otherwise press Enter (<No>).
  5. In the [!] Software selection dialog box, choose whatever desktop you want (I will be configuring LXDE), but make sure that "web server", "SSH server", and "standard system utilities" are selected.
  6. Now you wait while Net Install pulls down more packages from the internet (can take a while)
  7. Now say <Yes> to installing Grub, and choose the disk (likely /dev/sda).
  8. When the drive door pops open, remove the optical disc.
  9. Now in the [!] Finish the installation dialog box, select <Continue> and press Enter.
  10. The system will reboot, and if all's well a dialog box will request your password (can take a minute or two) You may notice that there are still complaints about missing firmware. We'll fix that below.
  11. Type your account name and user password to login, and say yes or no to saving history as is your preference
  12. Click the lower left corner of the screen to pop-up the desktop menu, and under System Tools >, select LXTerminal.
  13. Type "su -", and enter root password.
  14. Now we fix missing firmware. If you have done the installation over the wireless, this method will not work. Instead you'll need to download the firmware-iwlwifi deb file, and install it from a USB stick using dpkg. If your on a cable to the internet, then add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    Code:
    deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
  15. Type at root prompt#: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi
  16. Type: modprobe -r iwlwifi ; modprobe iwlwifi.
  17. Now type "reboot" and when the system reboots again, the firmware will be found.

This concludes basic Debian installation. Next we will proceed to install drivers and verify full functionality of all parts of the computer.

Last edited by Clarkman; 03-14-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
onebuck

Distribution: Slackware®

Rep: Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159
Moderator response

Moved: This thread is more suitable in <Debian> and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Installing NVidia Drivers

Installing the Nvidia driver brings the full functionality of the graphics card to the table.

There are many ways, This page: NvidiaGraphicsDrivers is a good resource.

Perhaps one of the easiest ways is this:
  1. Become root, type su -, and enter password
  2. Type: apt-get install nvidia-detect. (You have already added non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list, so you don't need to do that again.)
  3. Type: nvidia-detect followed by Enter. The output should look like:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
    Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 304.
    It is recommended to install the
        nvidia-driver
    package.
  4. So we accept the advice of nvidia-detect and type: apt-get install nvidia-driver followed by Enter.
  5. Now we wait for a somewhat lengthy installation. If you pay attention, you'll realize that kernel driver is built from source during all this activity.
  6. You'll see a warning about a conflicting nouveau kernel module. This is normal, and again we will follow the installer's advice and reboot after the installation is complete.
  7. You will also see a warning that the nvidia driver is not set up. We'll fix that next.
  8. now install nvidia-xconfig to configure the driver: apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
  9. Type nvidia-xconfig followed by Enter and you'll be informed that a new configuration file has been generated.
  10. Type reboot followed by Enter.

Now you'll be rewarded with the nvidia splash screen during boot!

Do take the time to look at the nvidia dialog box. Click lower left corner to get Desktop menu and click Preferences > NVIDIA X Server Settings. Best for now not to change anything and simply click quit.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Enabling sudo

For many reasons sudo is preferred over simply using the root account. Here we show how to add your user account to sudo, while still requiring a password to use sudo. It is possible to configure sudo to allow passwordless use, but this is not recommended unless you have certainty that no one else has access to your machine, either physically or via network.

Ubuntu by default enables sudo for user accounts and disables direct root access, but Debian does not. This is a good page about sudo: How To Edit the Sudoers File on Ubuntu and CentOS.

There are many other ways to configure sudo, this method is preferred (by me) for a developer account, as so many different usages occur, and it is just simple.

To enable sudo for your user (developer) account:

Open a terminal (click System Tools -> LXTerminal).
Become root, type: su - and enter password.
Type visudo at the root prompt.
You will be taken inside the nano text editor (default).
Arrow down to the bottom of the file and enter a new line at the end:
Code:
myAccountName	ALL=(ALL)	ALL
where myAccountName is the exact case-sensitive name of the account you created during installation.
Type Ctrl-o and press Enter to write the file (/etc/sudoers.tmp), and Ctrl-x to exit the nano text editor. (visudo handles moving sudoers.tmp to sudoers)
Now test it. Type exit and press Enter.
Type cat /etc/sudoers and press Enter.
You will see:
Code:
cat: /etc/sudoers: Permission denied
Now type: sudo cat /etc/sudoers, enter your password, and press Enter.
Now the contents of /etc/sudoers will be dumped.

Henceforth the need to use the root account is essentially never. Lest ye forget, a clever safeguard is to turn both the desktop and the shell command prompt to be red for the root account.

Root account login disable is another option, as is shown here:
Type: sudo passwd -l root
Re-enable by: sudo passwd root

Old 03-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Add "Empty Trash" to right click on LXDE

You can follow the steps here:

PCManFM empty trash menu

But: Beware cutting and pasting the instructions will insert a hyphen instead of a dash, and in the step where you use mkdir, you will in fact create a directory called "–parents" which is not what you want. Corrected instructions placed here:

Code:
sudo apt-get install trash-cli
mkdir -parents $HOME/.local/share/file-manager/actions
wget -O $HOME/.local/share/file-manager/actions/ask-trash-empty.desktop https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NicolasBernaerts/ubuntu-scripts/master/lubuntu/trash-empty/ask-trash-empty.desktop
sudo wget -O /usr/local/bin/ask-trash-empty https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NicolasBernaerts/ubuntu-scripts/master/lubuntu/trash-empty/ask-trash-empty
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/ask-trash-empty
Log out or reboot to make it work

Last edited by Clarkman; 03-12-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Set up Clock with NTP to synchronize with internet time servers.

The default Debian/LXDE does not synchronize the clock with internet time servers.

These steps change the clock to synch automatically:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y ntp
# To reconfigure/confirm timezone:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
sudo service ntp restart

Old 03-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Backup dual OS system

Now that the basics are done, it's time to back it up.

Perhaps the best solution for these older laptops is to buy a dock which has USB3.0, eg:

The E-Port Replicator with USB 3.0 from Dell™.

2.5 inch notebook disks >= 2TB with eSATA are hard to find. This product offers the best of both worlds, eSata and USB 3.0:

MiniPro 2.5-inch eSATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.1 External Hard Drive Enclosure

To take it on the road, the USB2.0 on the E6410 is just too slow. What I have handy is the HornetTek Viper SSC 3.5" Enclosure (HT-316SSC). I have inserted a 2TB 7200RPM drive into the enclosure for use in backing up this laptop.

To use this drive as eSATA requires an eSATA cable and then connecting it to the one shared eSATA/USB on the laptop. Remember that by default, SATA devices are not hot-swappable, and must be connected with the laptop powered off.

The back strategy I will implement is to divide the 2TB drive into two partitions. One will hold the disk image that will be made with Clonezilla live. The other partition will incremental backups of $HOME made by rsync. This post describes the Clonezilla live portion, while a later post (after git is in) will described the rsync portion.

You will need:
Steps to confirm eSATA connection:
  1. Power down laptop: sudo poweroff.
  2. Connect eSATA drive to AC power and power on
  3. Connect eSATA cable to to the one shared eSATA/USB on the laptop.
  4. Power on computer and press F2. You will see "Preparing to enter Setup..." appear briefly in upper right corner then you will be taken the the bios page.
  5. In the "General" tab, arrow down once to "System Information".
  6. Using trackpad/mouse scroll down until you can see the hard drive info. If you see a device listed as "System eSATA Device" that matches the size of your hard drive, you're in business.
  7. Press Exit.
Steps to prepare eSATA drive:
  1. Power up laptop and login. Open an LXTerminal
  2. Type: sudo -s and enter password. You have a root-permission prompt
  3. Type: which parted to verify you have the partitioner, type apt-get install parted if you don't.
  4. Click upper right corner of terminal window to make it full screen (optional).
  5. Type: parted
  6. After a moment you will see "Welcome to GNU Parted!"
  7. At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: print devices. With nothing but the internal drive and the eSATA drive connected, you should see two:
    Code:
    /dev/sda (1000GB)
    /dev/sdb (2000GB)
  8. Choose to edit the eSATA disk. At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: select /dev/sdb.
  9. Dump whatever partition table exists and inspect it: At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: print partition.
  10. If your listing shows:
    Code:
    Partition Table: unknown
    The disk is likely new. Either way we'll blow it all away.
  11. At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: mktable msdos. If the disc has data on it, you will be asked:
    Code:
    Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sdb will be destroyed and all data on this disk will be lost.  Do you want to continue?
  12. Type Yes and press Enter.
  13. Now create the partitions.
    At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: mkpart primary ext4 0GB 1000GB and press Enter.
    At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: mkpart primary ext4 1080GB -1s and press Enter.
  14. At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: print partition and you will see the result:
    Code:
    Model: ATA WDC WD2003FZEX-0 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 2000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  1080GB  1080GB  primary  ext4         lba
     2      1080GB  2000GB  920GB   primary  ext4         lba
  15. At the parted prompt "(parted)" type: quit to exit parted. (parted takes a while to quit as it is writing changes to disk)
  16. Format partition 1: sudo mkfs.ext4 -L image /dev/sdb1
  17. Format partition 1: sudo mkfs.ext4 -L increment /dev/sdb2
  18. Type: exit to leave root permissions and return to your user account.

Steps to set up "Clonezilla live"
  1. Open up a web browser and navigate to: Clonezilla.
  2. Click on: "Download an ISO file for CD/DVD", which will take you to the Clonezilla Live Download page.
  3. Click in the stable link, as of today, "stable - 2.5.0-25" which will take you to the Downloads page.
  4. Choose: "Select CPU architecture: amd64", "Select file type: zip", and click the Download button.
  5. Once downloaded, insert USB2.0 stick (formatted as FAT32, and empty)
  6. Determine path to memory stick by typing df.
  7. Use a shell variable to hold it, e.g. type: USBSTICK=/media/cuz/UNTITLED with no spaces and press Enter.
  8. Now unpack the "Clonezilla live" distro into the USB stick: unzip clonezilla-live-2.5.0-25-amd64.zip -d $USBSTICK.
  9. Typing df again, determine the device, e.g. "/dev/sdc2"
  10. Use a shell variable to hold it as well, e.g. type: USBDEV=/dev/sdc2 with no spaces and press Enter.
  11. Now cd into the Clonezilla distro: cd $USBSTICK/utils/linux.
  12. and set the partition as bootable: bash makeboot.sh $USBDEV
  13. Now type sudo reboot, and press F12 at the BIOS screen.
  14. Arrow down to select under LEGACY BOOT: "USB Storage Device" and press Enter.

Steps to back up disk image:

This page: Clonezilla live doc under Save disk image"" describes the process of creating an image backup of the internal hard drive.

Steps to mount incremental partition:

The goal here is to mount the second partition we created on the eSATA drive at a known location within the file system and then repeatedly back up to it. To accomplish this we will use the system known as UUID, which is essentially a unique number assigned to a drive.
  1. First create the mount point. A good standard location is inside /mnt, so type: sudo mkdir /mnt/backup.
  2. Now identify the drives & partitions. Type sudo blkid and press Enter.
  3. You will see something like this:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="DellUtility" UUID="3030-3030" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="a42d04a3-01"
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="80A89343A893371E" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="a42d04a3-02"
    /dev/sda3: LABEL="[BOOT]" UUID="685A97045A96CDE6" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="a42d04a3-03"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="b890bcd9-4a7c-47a6-a8e7-35804b81ae56" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a42d04a3-05"
    /dev/sda6: UUID="c6316848-ea91-4c77-b8c4-26d0ac1fdc5f" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="a42d04a3-06"
    /dev/sda7: UUID="f5dbdf70-52e9-4952-8544-21d555848714" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a42d04a3-07"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="image" UUID="ffd21641-6ed4-4f30-b9e1-b38b255db791" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="e2603555-01"
    /dev/sdb2: LABEL="increment" UUID="aa8ea858-fabc-44d7-aab3-5bb2cdd3e882" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="e2603555-02"
    The last line is the partition we created for incremental backup.
  4. Add mount of eSATA drive to fstab, type: sudo echo "# Added as back up mount" >> /etc/fstab and press Enter.
  5. Then type: sudo echo "UUID=aa8ea858-fabc-44d7-aab3-5bb2cdd3e882 /mnt/backup ext4 defaults,nofail 0 2" >> /etc/fstab and press Enter.
    The "nofail" option is important as it tells mountall to not report errors for this device if it does not exist, which eSATA won't unless it is plugged in.
  6. Now mount it: sudo mount -a and press Enter.
  7. If successful, the mount can be seen in df. Type df -h and press Enter. The output shows that /dev/sdb2 is mounted at /mnt/backup:
    Code:
    Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda5       76766240 3344740  69498864   5% /
    udev               10240       0     10240   0% /dev
    tmpfs             783884    9344    774540   2% /run
    tmpfs            1959704      68   1959636   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs               5120       4      5116   1% /run/lock
    tmpfs            1959704       0   1959704   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sda7      345912912  285064 328033380   1% /home
    tmpfs             391944       4    391940   1% /run/user/118
    tmpfs             391944       8    391936   1% /run/user/1000
    /dev/sdb2      884592052   73744 839560560   1% /mnt/backup
  8. We need now to change the owner and group to be our user account. First identify the user account. Type: id and press Enter.
    You will see something like:
    Code:
    uid=1000(cuz) gid=1000(cuz) groups=1000(cuz),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),108(netdev),110(lpadmin),113(scanner),118(bluetooth)
  9. Type: cd /mnt/backup and press Enter.
  10. Change the owner of the mount using the uid and gid: sudo chown 1000:1000 . and press Enter.
  11. Type cd and press Enter to return to home directory.
  12. Test read/write: echo "new file" > /mnt/backup/hello.
  13. Verify the file exists, type: ls /mnt/backup/hello and press Enter.
  14. Now cleanup, type: rm /mnt/backup/hello and press Enter.
  15. Install rsync, type: sudo apt-get install rsync and press Enter.
  16. Do a first sync, type rsync -auv $HOME /mnt/backup and press Enter.
Now we have made a backup of the internal as a disk image, and also created a mount point where we can use rsync (a later post) to regularly back up $HOME.

Last edited by Clarkman; 03-13-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Install and Configure minicom on Debian 8 Jessie

An important tool for embedded development is a terminal emulator. There are many, and I use minicom. Here we will set it up and create a profile for talking to a Beaglebone black computer.

You will need:
  • Beaglebone Black computer
  • 5 Volt Power Supply
  • USB to TTL Serial Cable

Steps:
  1. ls /dev/ttyUSB* You will see:
    Code:
    ls: cannot access /dev/ttyUSB*: No such file or directory
  2. Connect the USB to TTL Serial Cable to the Beaglebone Black computer. The six pins of the connector are parallel to P9. Find the small triangle indicating pin on the circuit board and on the connecter, then plug it in. Make sure the connector is aligned so that all six pins align.
  3. Now connect the other end of the cable to a USB port on the laptop.
  4. Again type: ls /dev/ttyUSB*. If the connection was successful, you will see:
    Code:
    /dev/ttyUSB0
    (Your usb serial port identifier may differ. If so, use it below)
  5. Now install minicom: sudo apt-get install minicom and press Enter.
    Minicom operates via control key combinations. For example Ctrtl-a followed by x, will exit minicom.
  6. Type sudo minicom -s and press Enter to start minicom setup.
  7. Arrow down to "Serial port setup" and press Enter. The serial port setup dialog will appear.
  8. Type A and edit /dev/modem to match your usb serial port identifier, in my case /dev/ttyUSB0. Press Enter.
  9. Now inspect line E - Bps/Par/Bits : is set to "115200 8N1"
  10. We also need to turn off all Flow Control. The default has "F - Hardware Flow Control : Yes" Press F to change it to No.
  11. Press Enter again to leave serial port setup.
  12. Arrow down to "Save setup as.." and press Enter.
  13. Name the configuration "bbb" and press Enter.
  14. Arrow down and Exit from minicom
  15. Now re-enter minicom with the saved configuration: sudo minicom bbb and press Enter.
  16. Connect power to the Beaglebone Black computer, and you will see the bootup message sequence

Last edited by Clarkman; 03-13-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Memory Upgrade!

Never never never expose your precious linux installation to new, untested memory modules! That's a hard lesson.

I use memtest86 to check new memory DIMMs, etc.

Steps:

Download memtest86 for linux here: http://memtest86.com/download.htm. Scroll down to "Image for creating bootable USB Drive" and click to download.
List current disk storage: ls /dev/sd*. In my case:
Code:
/dev/sda   /dev/sda2  /dev/sda4  /dev/sda6  /dev/sdb   /dev/sdb2
/dev/sda1  /dev/sda3  /dev/sda5  /dev/sda7  /dev/sdb1
Insert USB Stick > 256 MB in size
Noe type: ls /dev/sd* again.
Code:
/dev/sda   /dev/sda2  /dev/sda4  /dev/sda6  /dev/sdb   /dev/sdb2  /dev/sdc1
/dev/sda1  /dev/sda3  /dev/sda5  /dev/sda7  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdc
A new device, /dev/sdc, with a single partition on it /dev/sdc1 has appeared.
Change directories: cd ~/Downloads
Unpack tarball: tar xvfz memtest86-usb.tar.gz.
NOTE the next step will completely overwrite the USB stick!
Type: sudo dd if=memtest86-usb.img of=/dev/sdc and enter your password. This will take a few moments.
Once completed, unmount it: sudo umount /dev/sdc1.
Pull out memory stick.
Now power off computer: sudo poweroff
Install new memory
Insert USB stick with memtest86 on it and power up computer. Press F12 to enter boot select menu.
Arrow down to select the "UEFI BOOT:" option and press Enter.

Last edited by Clarkman; 03-14-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #11
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Code:
# Clarkman _______________________________________________

### BASH SHELL STUFF ####
#
#export HISTCONTROL=$HISTCONTROL${HISTCONTROL+,}ignoredups
export HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%a, %F %H:%M:%S  "
# Prompt o matic
export PS1="\[\e[0;32m\]\u\[\e[0;0m\]@\[\e[0;34m\]\h\[\e[0;0m\]:\[\e[0;33m\]\W\[\e[0;0m\]$"
#export PS1="\[\e[0;31m\]\u\[\e[0;0m\]@\[\e[0;34m\]\h\[\e[0;0m\]:\[\e[0;33m\]\W\[\e[0;0m\]#"
#export PS1="\[\e[0;32m\]\u\[\e[0;0m\]@\[\e[0;34m\]\h\[\e[0;0m\]:\[\e[0;33m\]\W\[\e[0;0m\]$"
# From nano head
#export PS1="\[\033[36m\]\u\[\033[m\]@\[\033[32m\]\h:\[\033[33;1m\]\w\[\033[m\]\$ "
#export CLICOLOR=1
#export LSCOLORS=ExFxBxDxCxegedabagacad
#export LS_COLORS='di=95:fi=0:ln=31:pi=5:so=5:bd=5:cd=5:or=31:mi=0:ex=35:*.rpm=90'

export GIT_EDITOR=vim

# Oldies but goodies
#alias ls='ls -Gh'
alias ll='ls -l'
alias lr='ll -atr'
alias la='ll -a'
# Beware Mercurial users!
alias hg='history | /bin/grep'
alias hs='history'
alias eg='env | /bin/grep'
alias pg='ps -ef | /bin/grep'
alias man='man -a'
alias pd='pushd'
alias df='df -h'
alias make='make -j4'

# Build Stuff
#export CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
#export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
#export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"

# Little old me
export PATH=$PATH:/Users/cuz/bin

Old 03-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #12
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Install tightvncserver

1. sudo -s
  2. apt-get install -y tightvncserver
  3. Run TightVNC Server to create its config file:tightvncserver :1
  4. Now kill it: tightvncserver -kill :1
  5. Create tightvncserver startup script: vim /etc/init.d/tightvncserver

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:          tightvncserver
    # Required-Start:    $local_fs
    # Required-Stop:     $local_fs
    # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:      0 1 6
    # Short-Description: Start/stop tightvncserver
    ### END INIT INFO

# More details see:
    # http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/tightvnc

### Customize this entry
    # Set the USER variable to the name of the user to start tightvncserver under

eval cd ~$USER
    PATH="$PATH:/usr/bin/"
    DISPLAY="1"
    DEPTH="16"
    GEOMETRY="1280x1024"
    OPTIONS="-depth ${DEPTH} -geometry ${GEOMETRY} :${DISPLAY}"

case "$1" in
        start)
          su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver ${OPTIONS}"
          ;;
        stop)
          su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :${DISPLAY}"
          ;;
        restart)
          $0 stop
          $0 start
          ;;
    esac

exit 0
  6. Make it executable: chmod 775 /etc/init.d/tightvncserver
  7. Automatic start with system boot: update-rc.d tightvncserver defaults 99
  8. Start TightVNC Server: /etc/init.d/tightvncserver start
  9. On a different computer open VNC Viewer and point to IP_Address:5901
  10. exit

Last edited by Clarkman; 03-17-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
Clarkman
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Install Acrobat Reader on Debian 8.x

For schematics and PDF documents such as Texas Instruments' series of ARM TRMs, there is no substitute for Acrobat Reader.

It's a 32bit executable, so install this way:
  1. Make sure it still exists and download:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads && wget -c http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
  2. If you are on a 64 bit machine (and we are):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libnss3-1d:i386 libnspr4-0d:i386 lib32nss-mdns libxml2:i386 libxslt1.1:i386 libstdc++6:i386
    sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines:i386 gtk2-engines-*:i386 libgtkmm-2.4-1c2:i386 libcanberra-gtk-module:i386
  3. Now install it:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb
    and select it as the default:
  4. Code:
    mimeopen -d *.pdf
That's it!

The following is copied from one of TI's manuals:

Acrobat Reader Tips
Acrobat includes two methods to search for words in a PDF:
• The Find toolbar provides a basic set of options to locate a word in the current PDF.
• The Search window lista words or partial words that match your text in the current PDF.
These guidelines apply to Acrobat Reader 5.x, 6.0, and 7.0.

For more information on Acrobat Reader search features, see the Adobe Reader Help.

To search for words in a document using the Find dialog box:
1. Open the document.
2. To display the Find toolbar, right-click in the toolbar area and select Find.
3. In the Find box, type the word, words, or partial words for which you want to search.
4. From the Find Options menu, select options as desired.
5. To view each search result, click the Find toolbar, the Find Previous button, or the Find Next button to go backward or forward through the document.

To search for words in a document using the Search PDF window:
1. Open the document.
2. Click the Search button on the File toolbar or right-click on your document and select Search.
3. Type the word, words, or part of a word for which you want to search.
4. Click Search.
5. The results appear in page order and, if applicable, show a few words of context. Each result displays an icon to identify the type of occurrence. All other searchable areas display the Search Result icon.
6. To display the page that contains a search result, click an item in the Results list. The occurrence is highlighted.
7. To navigate to the next result, choose Edit > Search Results > Next Result (or Ctrl+G).
8. To navigate to the previous result, choose Edit > Search Results > Previous Result (or Shift+Ctrl+G).
Navigate through your previous view

To retrace your path within an Adobe PDF document:
• For the previous view: Choose View > Go To > Previous View or Alt+Left Arrow.
• For the next view: Choose View > Go To > Next View or Alt+Right Arrow. The Next View command is available only if you have chosen Previous View.
If you view the PDF document in a browser, use options on the Navigation toolbar to move between views.
• Right-click the toolbar area, and then choose Navigation.
• Click the Go To Previous View button or the Go To Next View button.
NOTE: This navigation tip is useful to return to your previous view after clicking on a register call hyperlink.

Tags
cross-compile, debian jessie, development, jenkins, toolchain