LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
multiplex22

Distribution: most

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Installation, Fedora Hangs on Partition Lookup

I am trying to install the latest version of Fedora. I installed the iso on a USB drive and booted with that. On boot I am brought to two graphical options. I select install to hard drive. It asks me for a language, I select english.

The next screen wants me to verify 4 things before continuing. It attempts to auto detect these and grays (disables) until it comes up w the best fit. Detecting partitions, to choose where to install, never ungrays and stays lost for hours. This is where I can do nothing but cancel the whole process.

Thunar can mount most partitions (live part), though it encounters a cannot mount. The cannot mount goes away mysteriously after reattemting later.

I have about 25 partitions and I am thinking Fedoras mount tools are not designed well enough for this...

Old 06-05-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
dijetlo

Distribution: Solaris 11.2/Slackware/RHEL/

Quote:
have about 25 partitions and I am thinking Fedoras mount tools are not designed well enough for this...
I'd suggest you mount your root or system partitions to get the instance to boot cleanly (quickly) and then worry about mounting your data partitions once you have access to /dev and /dev/mapper.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiplex22 View Post
Thunar can mount most partitions (live part), though it encounters a cannot mount. The cannot mount goes away mysteriously after reattemting later.
If it were me I'd be running SMART tests over that drive. Might explain a lot of unusual occurrences.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
multiplex22

Distribution: most

Original Poster

Sorry, but no go for anyone. You have to use your skills in understanding what partitions R first. Starters, a drive can hold 4 ext parts and 15 ext 3. No one these days knows what this is. I make around 36 installs a day...