LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
ritaopal
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Jessie upgrade to samba

Over last weekend I upgraded one of my Debian boxes to Jessie. I have two, both running samba in order to communicate and file share with a Windows 7 laptop. All three machines have fixed IP addresses in my private molard.ca domain with its 3-bit address space.

Since the upgrade Windows 7 complains about accessing shares on the upgraded Debian machine -- it suggests checking the spelling -- but on a subsequent attempt connects as it did before. I can reproduce this behaviour using smbclient: a first attempt to list shares has "session setup failed NTS_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL" but an immediately following attempt succeeds.

I also have failures using the printer attached to the Debian machine from Windows, but I suspect that is the same problem -- the first connection attempt fails, and that cancels the print job.

I can provide my smb.conf file if necessary, but I suspect there has been some simple change in configuration for samba or some of its required packages. There was a syntax change, which I was able to fix, required to mount Windows directories on the Debian machine.

I can be contacted as roger@molard.ca

Old 05-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
ritaopal
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Further information on the above problem from a more verbose samba log file: the first attempt to list shares using smbclient fails with "getpwuid(4294967295) failed". Subsequent attempts, if they occur relatively soon, are successful "check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [root] -> [root] -> [root] succeeded".

I am not familiar with how the software works but it seems that the getpwuid process is being fed a garbage uid number. For some reason this does not occur again until after some timeout period.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
ritaopal
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I did claim some lengthy experience with computers: the unlikely uid number that smbclient is looking for is 2**32 - 1 --- the largest possible unsigned integer with 4 bytes, a string of binary 1's. It is obviously garbage, and clearly indicates a bug somewhere in samba or its interface.

Last edited by ritaopal; 05-05-2015 at 04:26 PM.