LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
rameshvgnr
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Post Firefox is not displaying / running on OS console

Hi all,
I am running RHEL 5.5 on non prond and production environment.Everuy time i tried to access firefox from the OS Console getting error
# firefox
Error: no display specified

but no problem while accessing firefox from terminal. only error prompted while accesing from RHEL CONSOLE.

Please help

Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
rameshvgnr
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
i a m trying to find what is exact cause for this.... is any dependent package is causing the error?? ...
what is probable solution for error....:-(

Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
devil24g
LQ Newbie

How do you access the console? Directly or over ssh? Firefox needs xserver support, as well as xclock.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshvgnr View Post
i a m trying to find what is exact cause for this.... is any dependent package is causing the error?? ...
what is probable solution for error....:-(
The solution would be for you to have X server software running on your local workstation, and for you to export your DISPLAY variable on the remote server to the IP address of your local workstation. You do this AFTER you allow incoming X sessions on your local workstation.

Much like your other thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...lz-4175513567/

...this has the same cause/solution. Also, these are NOT 'urgent' issues, so asking for/expecting volunteers to hurry up and help you is fairly rude. Also, since you're using Red Hat ENTERPRISE, you are PAYING FOR RHEL, RIGHT???? Have you called their support, since you're paying for it???

Questions like these have been asked and answered on this site many, MANY times, with very detailed answers. Use the LQ Search function to find threads about X not working.