LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 AM   #16
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373

For Google Earth Google have a .deb file to download and even provide a 64 bit version though if you are using a 64 bit distribution you may have a few issues with Google Earth.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #17
Don Littlefield

Distribution: Debian 10 Buster

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I am really disgusted now. I received the Debian CD's and have been trying to install from them but to no avail. I have tried to use the CD but the machine will not read the CD on boot up. I tried every different setting in the NVRAM BIOS but no action on the CD at boot up. I tried all I know about trying to get the USB stick to work. I copied some of the files on the USB but it wont read the USB on boot up either. I have tried to use the alt boot method also. If I change away from the main hard drive it goes to a built in shell program. It auto does a map display of the devices but will not allow me to cd to them. Error says not in the system even tho it was listed on their map.

I also decided to copy the CD on to the hard drive so I could run it from the hard drive. I had to copy it to the local/don/Debian directory. I could not get it to make a directory or copy to the root directory. Now I have the files on the hard drive, How do I get the program to run to do the install? I could not find an install file that I recognized to run the install.

I want to re-partition the drive to be able to do dual boot if I can during the install. I tried to do it already with Gpart but it will not shrink the main partition. The error is that you have to be root to do that. and the other one is that it says the main part is 467320 and the min can not be smaller than 467320 so It will not do anything.

any help will be welcomed.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #18
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
How did you put the image on the USB stick, did you follow the guide here?
https://www.debian.org/releases/stab...copy-isohybrid

Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
Don Littlefield

Original Poster
No I did not do it that way. I tried to use a 2 gig stick and it did not work so I got a different one. A 16 Gig and just copied the whole CD on to it. I think it said it was 4.7 gig used on DVD. Now I can not follow the instructions you gave in your link. My system says that most of the commands do not exist when I try them. It does not seem to recognize the stick on boot up so I have been trying to put on the MBR but I can not find its location on the CD. Can you point me to the correct directory location? and file name? This was a new stick and had not been used before. A 16 GIG Cruzer. name is SDB1 on dmesg.

Can you just run the install from the cd files on the hard drive? It is currently booted up on Kbuntu. I don't care if it looses all info on the hard drive.

It would be much simpler if it would just read the CD at bootup like it should.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #20
LQ Addict

Those instructions are to be run on an existing Linux install so if they don't work then there is something wrong with your existing Linux installation.
In order to boot from USB you do need to tell your BIOS to do so and how you do that ranges from selecting "USB" as the first thing to boot from in your BIOS configuration to having to disable certain functions then select the USB drive as the first hard disk drive to boot from or some combination of the previous.
From your answers I think you may need to take a step back from the install and read all the manuals again from the beginning as if it were the first time you had ever used Linux. I've a feeling you're missing something here.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
Don Littlefield

Original Poster
My signature shows my system. I have been playing with it since I built it in june. I have made some mistakes that nearly broke the system. It does not work as well as it did when I first loaded it. During the time I have been working with Kbuntu I have been learning about Debian and have decided to change to it. I bought the DVD set including the source from Debian. I have caused problems with this system now. I am having trouble moving around so it is being difficult. I cant use the tabs at the bottom of the screen to jump between screens so I had to find out about the alt tab method. also I lost the start box. Just complaining. I will start reading the manual over again. Before I do I just thought is there a way to reset to default settings for the KDE?

Thanks Don

Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Don Littlefield

Original Poster
I do get a message every time I reboot that it has a problem and wants to send a report. It does not say what it is tho. This new motherboard does not have any ide type devices. It uses Sata devices and USB. This may be part of the problem. However I did use this CD/DVD device to load the original load of 13.10. IT came from the DVD in the Ubuntu magazine.

I was reading on the guide you provided on 4.3 it says that you should be able to just copy the files to the stick and it should work from there. It already should be bootable. I did copy the whole DVD to the stick. so There may be a problem with the bios. I will try to find out how to test it for working properly also.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
LQ Addict

I would suggest using Unetbootin to create a live/install disc for Ubuntu or Debian to ensure that you can boot from that ans go from there.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 AM   #24
Don Littlefield

Original Poster
I have tried every different way to set up the bios and have the USB, then the CDROM, then the Hard drive. in the boot sequence. Also it has the ability to hit F11 and select what device to boot from. When I do that the bios screen blinks a couple of times and then goes on and boots the 12 Ubuntu. If I select one of the recovery modes it will boot to 14 Kbuntu with its problems. Now the 12 works better than the 14 and is harder to use. Is there a command from the running system to check and fix the copies of the programs on the computer with out selecting them one by one and re install.

I have just about worn out my power button and the restart box with the many restarts and reboots. I finally got the usb drive to start an install. I copied the whole DVD to a new 16 gig Cruizer and fiddled with the bios till it finally loaded and did an install. All I got to do was say I wanted English and I live in Chicago time zone and to split the current hard drive in 50% for the new system. As you know I am running Kbuntu 14.04. I don't know how it changed from Ubuntu but it did. After the install was done, about 2 hour wait, it came up with a reboot and display showing Ubuntu 12.04LTS. HOW REVOLTING! That came directly from the DVD and some downloading of packages while installing and setting up. Now I have a sort of broken 14.04lts and a 12.04 that wont update. I have joined the Debian IA64 list but it seems to be out of favor and is apparently not being supported any more either. This really sucks.

Would you consider this to be a bug in the DVD to load an old Ubuntu instead of the debian 7.5.0 that I expected to get from the Debian IA64 DVD? Should I put in a bug report or what? Next? I have tried to do the unetbootin but have failed to accomplish that feat also.

Without another idea I will try to start over and reload from the start again. By using the 13.10 dvd and update from the net automatically. I better quit for now as I am angry and not thinking very straight.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #25
widget

Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
The only file you want to copy is the entire .iso file. Like;
grml96-full_2014.03.iso

The very best way to do this is with the dd command.

If you got all the CDs then the only one that will boot is CD1. That is the only one that boots and has the installer on it. Have no idea if that is the problem or not but thought I should mention it.

The other CDs are simply a snapshot of the repos at the time the CDs were created. This happens, I think, once a week.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #26
Don Littlefield

Original Poster
Hi widget and 273.

I want to thank you both for being there for me and helping out. Even when I did not understand what I was doing. This morning I gave up. I am tired of rereading the RTFM and decided to quit trying the Debian DVD and go back to the beginning and reload the Ubuntu again. As I stated before I got 13.10 from a magazine. It loaded the first try again so I must have had all of the settings correct on my bios. It took a bit over 2 hours. When it finished, before I could go to the software site to get the Chromium browser I like to use, it had already notified me that the newer version of the software was available and ready for me to download and upgrade to 14.04 LTS. I installed the Chromium Browser first and then clicked on the notification and started it. A couple of hours later I came back and checked and it was almost finished with that upgrade. Was waiting for me to say OK to something. It completed in about 5 more minutes. Works OK now. except for the repeat rate on the keyboard. I need to slow it down some. (DONE) All better now. Was using back space more than forward. I wonder if I could trade the Disk set for one of UBUNTU instead. I will try to call tomorrow to find out. If not I will use it any way to learn with.

I did only expect that Cd1 would be the only one to boot and did not try the others. They only contain the source codes for the programs. I planed to use them to learn about the C++ programming techniques. In the past I learned a lot more from reading source codes after I learned the program commands and features. like when I learned Basic I rewrote a check book program that I got from a friend. Later I wrote a cash register daily check out program that worked for every days count out. The totals carried over for the week, the month and the year totals. That was a 13 sheet database that transferred data from different sheets to continue the totals. It figured the tax collected and paid, and kept track of all the other expenses also. I used the data for Tax resolution for three years. I never really learned C so I will be challenged to do it now. I learned some about machine language the same way and wrote a driver for a new block device a hard drive in the late 80's.

Again thanks for the help.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #27
Don Littlefield

Original Poster
273 did you say you have a .deb file for Google Earth that will work. I have looked all over the two sites that I can get to and am not finding the way to get the file. i will download and install Google Earth because I like that program. Marble just does not compare.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 AM   #28
LQ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Littlefield View Post
273 did you say you have a .deb file for Google Earth that will work. I have looked all over the two sites that I can get to and am not finding the way to get the file. i will download and install Google Earth because I like that program. Marble just does not compare.
On Debian, at least, the 64 bit .deb installs straight away for me but crashes most of the time before opening. I use the 32 bit version with the only problem being missing Panaramio photo's (a well known issue) and do so by modifying the .deb to remove the dependency on ia32-libs (since it no longer exists) then installing the necessary 32 bit libraries by either running Google Earth in the terminal and installing things it suggests are missing or running ldd against googleearth-bin and finding and installing the missing dependencies that way.
A friend runs Ubuntu though and I'm not sure whether he's installed it so at some point I'll try it again in a VM for Ubuntu but I can't understand why it's not the same process there.