LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
OzwaldoRinaldo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
TV Out

Hi guys, i am a linux novice. I recently installed Ubuntu after a brief stint with Debian, and I am pretty damn pleased with it. However, the main reason why i even have this computer with ubuntu on it is that I want to use it with my television. In the computer is an nvidia geforce fx 5200 which has an svideo out slot. I also have another computer with an ati card that has an svideo out, and ive tested that and it all works. In fact, if i boot up the ubuntu computer with the svideo cable attached, it shows the whole bootup on the tv! However, once it loads the OS the tv displays some fuzzy staticy thing. I think it's the upper right hand of the screen, because it changes with the color of the desktop (ie black/white shows dark or light static)

How do i get my tv working as a monitor with ubuntu?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Maestro485

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 16
Try lowering the resolution down to 640x480 or 800x600 on the ubuntu box. If that doesn't work, try lowering the refresh rate. TV's generally don't have a very high quality image compared to a computer monitor, so lowering these settings usually does the trick.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
OzwaldoRinaldo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
how do i even do either of those things?

(i am a )

Last edited by OzwaldoRinaldo; 01-30-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
OzwaldoRinaldo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
alright i found those options in System->Preferences->ScreenResolution, but no combination of screensize or refresh rate makes a difference on the ascii-like output i see on my tv. (blocks and lines and dots ina grid) Any other things i can try?

Old 01-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
OzwaldoRinaldo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Talking

Alright "OzwaldoRinaldo," if that is your real name, you wanna run these lines through your root terminal. (enable root by setting it's user password and changing the securities of your system login)

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/NVIDIA-Settings.desktop

(then insert these lines into the file you opened)

[Desktop Entry]
Name=NVIDIA Settings
Comment=NVIDIA Settings
Exec=nvidia-settings
Icon=
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;System;

By the way if you want to set up your tv as a monitor (or even use it is a clone of your monitor so you can use both at once) check out this page.

Good luck you crazy wetback

Last edited by OzwaldoRinaldo; 01-30-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
lowebb

Distribution: Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
Just to add to this discussion is it at all possible to configure TV-out using the 'nv' linux driver (and NOT using the linux Nvidia drivers)

The reason I ask is cause I find everytime I reconfigure my kernel I have to reinstall the nvidia drivers and its a pain