LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
njbrain

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

I am trying to install wine, but I just get this error.

tools/wineinstall: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
320mb

Distribution: Slackware, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 48
this error usually pops up if one does not have write access to a certain directory.......

Old 12-14-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
njbrain

Original Poster
I have permission to write, but it still won't work.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
urka58

Distribution: slackware 15

Rep: Reputation: 43
If the script has executing permissions for the user and group (if not already logged as root), may be the file system hosting such file has been mounted with the "noexec" option. Is it possible?
Ciao

Old 12-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
slacksource
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
are you using the bash shell. It should then read /bin/bash not /bin/sh, If I am not mistaken thats a different shell and thats the reason you get the bad interpretor error.

when writing scirpts dont you start by stating the interpreter

#/bin/bash

??? just a thought

Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
philippeP
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian sarge/etch

Might not be the same, but I had such an error when trying to execute a file on an external filesystem. So same reply as above, make sure there is no "noexec" option preventing file execution.

My added comment: look out for other options which imply "noexec" (e.g. "user", or the order of the options)

See man mount if this is the issue.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
Woodsman

Distribution: Slackware 14.1

Rep: Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546
Quote:
are you using the bash shell. It should then read /bin/bash not /bin/sh, If I am not mistaken thats a different shell and thats the reason you get the bad interpretor error.
In Slack the two are soft linked and essentially are one and the same. The difference between the generic shell and the bash shell is in the script headers. If the script uses #!/bin/sh then bash limits itself to running as a generic shell. But since /bin/sh is soft linked to /bin/bash, bash still runs the script. However, if the script header is #!/bin/bash then one is able to use the additional features available in bash not available in the generic shell.

Quote:
. . ./bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied. . .
I see this often when I copy files from Windows to my Slack box and the original file is in DOS text format. This sometimes happens to me when I snag a code snippet or script while surfing the net in Windows and I save the file locally. The default saved format is then DOS and not 'nix. Possibly check your config files and verify they are not using the DOS End-of-Line (EOL) marker.

Another quirk is trying to run the scripts from a non-'nix file system, such as FAT32 (as mentioned just above by philippeP. I saw this happen on my multi-boot box when in Windows I saved downloaded scripts to my shared FAT32 partition. When I rebooted into Slack I then could not run the scripts from that partition. Not sure why because my FAT32 is read-write-exec. I haven't tried that in a long while, however, so perhaps my problem was actually the DOS EOL format and not the file system. But just another thought.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #8
Widgeteye

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbrain
I am trying to install wine, but I just get this error.

tools/wineinstall: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

Thanks in advance for your help.

#!/bin/sh

MUST be at the very top of the page and it's best to have a carriage return after it.
There CANNOT be a empty line ABOVE #!/bin/sh or you will get this error.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
njbrain

Original Poster
Hi all,
I changed the line in my fstab to this, and now all works fine.
/dev/hda2 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
spoonyfork
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SLES

This happened to me when I FTP'd up a #!/bin/sh shell script from a Windows host. The fix was to run dos2unix against the shell script.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
chess

Distribution: Slackware and OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 190Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonyfork View Post
This happened to me when I FTP'd up a #!/bin/sh shell script from a Windows host. The fix was to run dos2unix against the shell script.
Yes, this is the most common reason for the problem, I think. Lots of ^M characters added for Windows/DOS carriage return that breaks the script.

Edit: wow, this is a thread from 2005 and I did not even realize it.

Last edited by chess; 04-26-2010 at 11:47 AM.