LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
beeblequix

Distribution: Debian of course...

Rep: Reputation: 30
How I install a Debian Sarge setup from DVDs

To dual boot with multiple hard drives:
begin 11:50
0. boot from DVD drive with first Debian DVD
1. add new hard drive on primary slave (hda=XP, hdb=Debian)
2. install the base Debian (2.4.27-k7) system on one easy partition on hdb
3. install Grub boot loader to master boot record
4. remove DVD1 and reboot
11:58
5. set up timezone
6. root password
7. user
8. archive access method for apt: cdrom.
9. pay attention! Insert DVD/CDROM#2 first.
**Why you may ask?**
**because every time I started with #1, then #2 the less than intuitive prompts ended up having disk#2 still in the drive when it was actually ready to install packages. When it found no DVD#1 it started downloading the needed packages from the ftp server, which takes a LOT LONGER to finish the install than if I made sure DVD#1 was in the drive when it was ready to rumble**
10. scan another cd? --> insert DVD/CDROM#1
11. scan another? --> No.
12. Debian software selection -->desktop
12:08
** this is where the security updates get downloaded via my aDSL connection, but then uses DVD#1 to actually install the packages*
12:28
12:29 Pregonciguring packages ...
13. Configuring xserver-xfree86 --> ATI (radeon 9800 pro, I'll only configure one output)
14. PCI:2:0:0
15. attempt mouse detection? Y
16. attempt monitor detection? Y
17. LCD? Y
18. advanced --> horizontal 30-82, vertical 50-85
12:47
19. mail --> no configuration at this time (because I just don't care)
20. login! 12:48
breaktime

damn.
In order to install my ATI drivers I need 'glibc 2.2 or 2.3 installed'. My new install only has glibc 2.1. Will edit this post with instructions on how the **** to do this once I've actually got it. ****

Old 10-25-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
powadha

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 31
I cannot see any point in this post. Is there actually a question hidden in there somewhere?

If it's the version of glibc, a simple apt-get update & dist-upgrade would do (if you configured your sources.list to use ftp). The version in stable is beyond 2.2

Last edited by powadha; 10-25-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
beeblequix

Original Poster
I promise on the life of the dead bird my cat slew yesterday -- there's no question.

It's more of a docu-drama-dery on my Debian installation with the goal to hopefully end up with a working system with 3d enabled, with ATI drivers working nicely, with UT2003, UT2004, Doom 3, Quake3, Tux Racer working, with the DVD playback capable of playing DVDs and various Winderz programs functioning with wine/cedega.

I suppose the only question so far is "why did the ATI installer not go into purdy graphics mode and mentioned glibc 2.1?". Maybe this installation I'll figure it out.

ß

PS Theory -- I believe in previous installations I would use Synaptic Package Manager to install all the GNOME and KDE goodies before getting to the ATI drivers. When I'm in front of my pc I'll install the 'a' GNOME packages, retry ATI installer. If that doesn't work the 'b' packages and so forth until I locate exactly which one makes the installation work properly.

Last edited by beeblequix; 10-25-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
beeblequix

Original Poster
Hehe. hehehe. heh.

That error I mentioned wasn't an error per se. I DID have the correct glibc thingie installed. And kernel source thingie. And Colonel Sanders thingie (jk). The big that that was throwing me off was that when I executed the ati...run script I did this:
su - root
passwd
./ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run
or
sh ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run

THE CORRECT WAY IS THIS:
su
passwd
./ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run
or
sh ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run

NOTICE the part about logging in as root -- if you use "su - root" it's not quite the same as "su". The former gave me a text interface that doesn't work. "su" gives me the graphical penguin....lol. Weeks to figure that **** out.....

Old 11-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
mechmg93

Distribution: debian sarge-backported

Rep: Reputation: 15
in my opinion in "step 12", it is better not to choose anything(for a standard desktop machine) and then install what exactly you really need.

for example, after finishing the installation i simply do the following:

apt-get install kdebase x-window-system kdm

and i have only the "base" kde and not all the kde and gnome and and and.....which are installed if you choose what you choose.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
beeblequix

Original Poster
Thanks. That's some good advice. Honestly I'm not sure how to set it up to not be bloated yet.

note: i've split my steps between two systems: one a k7+9800pro and one a 686-smp+X800pro. Frankly the older hardware was easier to set up (k7 + 9800pro).

step--
21. goto Synaptic Package Manager and install the "kernel source". This is a good opportuninty to install the kernel 2.6.8 or 2.6.11-686-smp or 2.6.8-k7 or whatever kernel I'd rather use, also install the kernel-headers.
22. reboot machine into new fancy schmancy kernel
23. download the new ATI installer script
24. to execute ATI installer script open a terminal window
25. type "su". Do not type "su - root". See post #4.
26. <click> <click> <click> through the pretty graphical interface. Do automatic install. It actually works with Debian.
27. when it's done close that terminal window and hit <ctl> <alt> <backspace> to kill X window session
28. hit <ctl> <alt> <f1> and login as root
29a. cd to /etc/X11 and copy off the existing XF86Config-4 file.
29b. finish the ATI install by typing "fglrxconfig"
30. note to self: I use a ps/2 wheelmouse and a 5 button Microsoft Trackball. When the setup asks about the mouse I've had the best luck by choosing /dev/psaux which makes the ps2 mouse work (and for some reason also the usb trackball). I'm curious to know if /dev/input/mouse would work for the usb trackball.
31. write changes and type "reboot" to, well, reboot the machine.
32. boot up. Open terminal window
33. find out if AGP is working -- type "glxgears". For a 9800pro I was getting about 4000-4500. For a X800Pro I was getting about 5500-5900 fps.

If it's anything under 4000 for these cards be worried. IF it's less we must enable the AGP and 3d mode.
34. type "modprobe -l|grep agp" to find out if the agp drivers were loaded. If it comes back with nothing there are no agp drivers loaded. Seems that on my 9800pro it did it, mainly because the install recognized the 9800 pro card. On my X800 pro it did not recognize it as ATI or Radeon so I chose VESA. This is likely why the X800 was tougher to figure out....
35. IF the above gave you nothing we must load up the AGP drivers. The location for the agp drivers on my system I think is under /lib/modules/2.6.11-686-smp/kernel/drivers/char/agp. There are two drivers on my Intel system there: intel-agp.ko and intel-mch-agp.ko. Not sure which is which but I loaded them both and it works.
36. to load them use 'modprobe'. I think the command is "modprobe intel-agp" and "modprobe intel-mch-agp". Notice to not use the '.ko' extention.
37. to see if it's loaded type "fglrxinfo". It better mention ATI and your card. If it mentions "Mesa" at all then you have my permission to kick in a wall. -jk-

The above so far has worked for me. I installed UT2004 Demo and played a vehicle-heavy map to make sure it ran smoothly. On another of my threads I complained about my other system running this demo like ****. That system is Mepis 3.3.1, uses Xorg instead of XFree86, later kernel build....not sure the difference yet.