LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
futz

Distribution: Fedora4/Ubuntu/Suse/ Mandriva/PCLinuxOS

Rep: Reputation: 15
Samsung ML-1610 printer install nightmare

I bought a cheapy ML-1610 laser printer today. It has Linux driver on the disk, so I followed instructions to install it. When finished it wouldn't print.

Tried a zillion different things. No luck at all.

I seem to have messed something up somehow, cuz now when I run the setup program, it returns this:
Quote:
[root@localhost cdrecorder]# ./setup.sh
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
Reusing existing ksycoca
uninstall: dynamic-link.h:57: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed.
setupdb-bin.ojuIJs: dynamic-link.h:57: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed.
Keeping existing configuration file.
The first time I ran it, it only gave the "kbuildsycoca is unable to register" warning, but seemed to work anyway.

I tried setting up with Fedora's printer configuration thing. Tried several different things there with zero luck, and now it gives me this error:
Quote:
Failed to write queues.
Then, after you get rid of that box, this pops up:
Quote:
There was a problem sending CUPS test page
to 'printer' queue:

sh: /usr/bin/lpr: No such file or directory
I'm totally lost now, being somewhat of a newb. I DID get it to work on my Ubuntu box, with the printer configuration tool, using a ML-1510 driver. The setup program on the CD would not work on Ubuntu.

I have a Mandriva LE 2005 partition on this box too. Tried it on that and got exactly nowhere with it.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
rblampain

Distribution: Debian 11

Rep: Reputation: 52
I'm no expert but I think if you're using CUPS you're not using LPR, these are 2 different printing mechanisms.
I've got a ML-1740 I'm currently trying to get working under Debian, it was running just last week under FC2. I think this printer is probably very close to yours. What I found under FC2 is that I couldn't get the driver supplied by Samsung working and the best I could do was to use the driver available from FC2 for the nearest printer which was Ml-1710, that worked. Unless you get a better advice from someone else I would suggest you try to restart the installation of the printer with a clean slate, make sure there is no printer at all before you try again and if you're using CUPS make sure LPR is not introduced in the process.

Hope this help.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
futz

Original Poster
Well, that install of Fedora 4 was badly messed up, so I did a complete backup, format & reinstall. I had done some yum updates in the past with a conflicting rpm repository in the list, and some stuff was badly broken. Best to start fresh at that point.

The printer works fine as a ML-1510 now. I didn't bother with the Samsung driver disk. I just set it up with the Fedora printer config tool. Gonna download the ML-1610 PPD and try that next.

EDIT: The 1610 ppd does not work, but I don't care, as long as it prints.

Last edited by futz; 10-11-2005 at 12:54 AM.

Old 11-12-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
zbry
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
My experience isn't any different from that of the previous users. The Samsung driver doesn't work on my Aurox 10.1, which is based on Fedora Core 2/3. Installing the ppd file supplied by Samsung doesn't help either. What is more, my CD supplied with the printer was empty!
Fortunately, the printer works perfectly as ML-1710. If only I had known that, I wouldn't have bothered with Samusung's drivers (which cost me 3 hours).
Zbry

Last edited by zbry; 11-12-2005 at 06:21 AM.

Old 11-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
futz

Original Poster
Quote:
printer works perfectly as ML-1710. If only I had known that, I wouldn't have bothered with Samsung's drivers (which cost me 3 hours)
Yup. Thanks to Samsung for at least trying, but there's just way too many different distros and variations of Linux out there for hardware companies to get drivers right, IMHO.