LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
rwhite7890
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Image::Magick for FC4 AMD64

I am trying to install Image::Magick for Perl, but getting tons of different errors. Not sure what to do. When I do the 'make' command, after I do the "perl Makefile.PL' command, I get error message pertaining to the magick.xs file. I get an error for about every line in that file. Over 9000:

[root@localhost PerlMagick-6.20]# make
Magick.xs:63:24: error: magick/api.h: No such file or directory
Magick.xs:152: error: syntax error before ‘MagickRealType’
Magick.xs:152: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
Magick.xs:159: error: syntax error before ‘*’ token
Magick.xs:159: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘image_reference’
Magick.xs:159: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

I was having the same problem at work. But then I downloaded the RPM for imagemagick and installed it on my system at work, and then I was able to install Image::Magick for Perl. But at work I use a RH9 on 32bit system. So.....

Right now I just deleted all the ImageMagick RPM's from my at home system (FC4 AMD64) and am trying to re-install the RPMs with this package: ImageMagick-6.2.3-3.x86_64.rpm. But when I do, I get this message:

[root@localhost installers]# rpm -ivh ImageMagick-6.2.3-3.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
libgs.so.8()(64bit) is needed by ImageMagick-6.2.3-3.x86_64

So I guess I don't know what to do. I have been trying to get Image::Magick to work for over a week now, and its been sending me on these journeys that I didn't think I'd have to go on. I found this page:
ftp://ftp.fifi.org/pub/ImageMagick/linux/fedora/x86_64/
I'm not sure which RPM packages I need. I'm not sure if these would even fix the problem. I have no idea what libgs.so.8 is and/or how to get it.

I tried the above RPMs and I am getting the same error messages. This is really frustrating.

Any help? Thanks....

Old 07-05-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
wipe

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 30
You didn't google for libgs.so then? It's in the ghostscript package on your installation CDs or DVD. Install it and tell us if you get it working. If I had to guess, I'd say that those ImageMagick-perl packages contain the Perl modules/bindings you are trying to install.

Regards
Simon

Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
rwhite7890
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by wipe
You didn't google for libgs.so then
I did google it. I found it in the RPM for ghostscript. This is the RPM: ghostscript-8.15-0.rc3.3.src.rpm. When I upgrade/install using the command: 'rpm -Uvh' it works fine. No errors. But when I search for it after its 'installed' I get this:

[root@localhost installers]# rpm -qa | grep ghost
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-13
ghostscript-7.07-40
ghostscript-7.07-40

So it doesn't look like it installed. Then I try to delete these old RPMs, and I get these errors.
[root@localhost installers]# rpm -e --allmatches ghostscript
ghostscript is needed by (installed) ghostscript-fonts-5.50-13.noarch
ghostscript is needed by (installed) hpijs-1.7.1-3.x86_64
ghostscript >= 6.51-16 is needed by (installed) system-config-printer-0.6.131-1.x86_64
ghostscript is needed by (installed) libgnomeprint22-2.10.3-1.i386
ghostscript is needed by (installed) libgnomeprint22-2.10.3-1.x86_64
libijs.so()(64bit) is needed by (installed) gimp-print-4.2.7-7.x86_64

I'm so stuck. All I'm trying to do is be able to get Image::Magick to be installed so I can create thumbnails with my perl scripts! This is so irritating. I have been trying everything for the past two weeks.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
wipe

I see what you mean. First of all, those packages ending with .src.rpm are the source code packages. They are used to build the binary packages. Just installing them doesn't give you a working program.
  • You have AMD64 (x86_64) and FC4.
  • The Fedora installation media contains ImageMagick-6.2.2.0-2.x86_64.rpm, ImageMagick-perl-6.2.2.0-2.x86_64.rpm, and ghostscript-7.07-40.x86_64.rpm (+ the i386 versions). Look in here.
It's all there. No need to go compiling, unless you really need a newer version. When you are updating a package, you don't have to remove the old one first. Use rpm -Uvh, it automatically updates the files. If there isn't any previous version of the package installed, it just installs it. I hope you succeed.

Simon

Last edited by wipe; 07-06-2005 at 01:50 AM.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
wipe

One more thing; the problem you were having with libgs.so.8 was probably due to FC4 having libgs.so.7 (libgs.so.7.07 to be precise) by default. Try ls -l /usr/lib/libgs.so*. So the ImageMagick package you found required version 8 instead of version 7. Unless the thumbnail scripts you want to use are very new, it likely won't matter which versions of ImageMagick and the perl module you use. You may be better off using the official Fedora binaries. If you get really frustrated about those dependency errors, you can bypass them by using rpm with the --nodeps argument.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
rwhite7890
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks. Well I did install that ghost RPM with the command "rpm -Uvh". Then when I try to install the ImageMagick rpm I still get the same message. This libgs.so.8 file said it came with the ghostscript rpm. But it appears it did not.

[root@localhost installers]# rpm -ivh ImageMagick-6.2.3-3.x86_64.rpm
libgs.so.8()(64bit) is needed by ImageMagick-6.2.3-3.x86_64

I will try the ImageMagick version you suggested, but I'm pretty sure that that is the one I had originally installed from my disc. I'll let you know what happens...

Thanks

Old 07-07-2005, 01:51 AM   #7
rwhite7890
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Simon,
Thank you so much for your help. I finally got this to work! I can't believe it. I have posted SOOO many messages about this to SOOO many boards and no one knows what was up. I guess I was just installing the wrong RPMs. So simple really. But I didn't know exactly what needed to be installed.

Anyways, thanks again. This is awesome.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:19 AM   #8
wipe

You're welcome! I want to still clarify that the link I gave was to Fedora's (Red Hat's) download server and those RPMs are the same ones as on your FC4 CDs or DVD. Updated packages are also provided but those are in different directories. Generally speaking, distributions such as Fedora Core contain many programs that are not installed by default but are used by a lot of people.