LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Lakota

Distribution: Mandriva 2007 Free

Rep: Reputation: 30
Tux Magazine Refund

Does anybody have any idea how to get a refund from Tux Magazine? I was quite excited when they announced the magazine and paid for a subscription in December. They since have become a free web based magazine, and their website claims they will refund all paid subscriptions. I have heard nothing from them so far, and even emailed them about it over a month ago. All I got was a auto generated email returned to direct me to a free web based subscription. I am eager to get this refund as I plan to redirect it to Mandrake club, as they are the distro that got me into linux in the first place.

BTW: On the topic of distros, check out Puppy linux. Trying to find a light distro for my elderly laptop and came across this. Could not get it running on laptop yet, but have been playing with it on my desktop. I am absolutely amazed by the speed, runs in ram, rather than off cd or hard drive and even opening firefox is fraction of a second. This thing is pretty cool, although takes some getting used to.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
JSpired

Distribution: Slackware, Suse 9.2

Hmm...did you try calling? Also, are you sent your email to the right address? See here.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
Lakota

Original Poster
No, I did not try calling as I cannot find a phone number on their site. When they were accepting paid subscriptions it was on their form. Unfortunately I did not keep a copy and it is no longer posted on their site. Yes I emailed the link "Questions about your TUX subscription? Please e-mail us." on the "customer servervice" page on the website you linked to in your post. That was January 20.Does anybody by chance know the phone number?

Old 02-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Lakota

Original Poster
I'll put this thread on hold for moment. Tried emailing the publisher of ssc, and received response in less than an hour. Says, should have already happened, and is checking into it. ...........less than an hour (actually it was 9 minutes!), there is still such a thing as customer service, in a world of disservice. Praise be to scc publishing.

Last edited by Lakota; 02-16-2005 at 09:38 AM.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Lakota

Original Poster
Well, guess maybe time to give up. Nothing has happened about a refund and all email I have sent since does not get a reply. So I sit here with a receipt from the bank and a poor attitude. Will never subscribe to a linux magazine again. Too bad, I did have a Linux Journal subscription for the last year, which I had no problems with. Since this Tux Magazine, that I got shafted on is the same publisher, I will just find alternative reading material.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Come on, don't be a sore sport. You should look at it as if your supporting the Linux Community.

I don't get mad when I bought that new stereo for $500.00 bucks and the next week to find it elsewhere on sale for $350.00... if your still getting your magazine monthly that you opted to pay for despite them giving it away for free now, you should settle just for that and not let one magazine ruin your whole outlook on any others. Just look at it this way, if they never decided to give away the magazine for free, would you be here complaining about a refund? Most likely not cause you chose to buy something you were interested in and supporting apparently..

Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
Lakota, if you email me your info I'll make sure it gets forwarded to the appropriate person.

--jeremy

Old 04-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
Lakota

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
Come on, don't be a sore sport. You should look at it as if your supporting the Linux Community.
Ok, you have a point to some degree. I suppose the reason I want a refund is simply if everyone else gets it free, then I prefer to be on par. Apparently everyone else was issued refunds. My poor attitude has somewhat subsided today. Reason being it was compounded by the fact that I was furious with Mandrake Club due to the following scenerio. February 18 past, I ordered a Mandrake Club membership. I paid for a US money order and sent that with the pages they tell you to print off, to the address they give you. I got a somewhat abrupt email from the webmaster saying I had subscribed and not sent payment. Due to the nature of a money order (you pay cash out of pocket to purchase it), I assumed I paid, they got my money, and sent me unwelcome email. Have spent a month grinding my teeth, sending emails that don't get responded to over that as well. I finally thought to read the back of the money order receipt for Mandrake Club, and found a phone number to find out if a recipient has cashed the money order. To my surprise, it is uncashed, so I now realize they really did not get it, and it must be lost in mail. So my anger is now over, I have to send a stop pmnt, order a refund, and will redo the Mandrake Club thing using a different pmnt method. Actually, glad to find out Mandrake was in the right here as I really do like their distro, but now I am miffed at the Post Office. \

Anyway, in the end, I thank Jeremy for the kind offer, and will take you up on it within the next few days. A little crazy here as I am moving to another town this weekend.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:49 AM   #9
floppywhopper

Distribution: Mageia , Centos

Rep: Reputation: 136Reputation: 136
Ah dont be too quick to blame the post office, the MO could simply have been stolen.

Happened to me once ordering Passports. The documentation all arrived but apparently not the MO - hmmm. And it too was uncashed so I had the royal run around ... cancelling, getting another etc etc

There is no moral to this story, it simply is life.
floppy