LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
CanadianPenguin

Distribution: Ubuntu "Hoary" - The best distro around by a long shot.

Rep: Reputation: 15
Converting vop-packed DivX to MPEG

I have some "vop-packed" DivX movies that I would like to make into a DVD. They work fine in MPlayer. I have DVDStyler, which can take regular MPEG movies and make an iso to burn onto a DVD, but first I need to conver these DivX files into MPEGs. I've converted regular DivX/XviD files to MPEG using the command:

mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video -oac copy input.avi -o output.mpg

which works great and only takes ten minutes or so. However, when I try this same command on a vop-packed DivX file, I get the error:

1 duplicate frame(s)!
Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!

repeatedly, and the output is just the audio track (slightly garbled) with no video at all. avidemuxer seems to have an option to just unpack the vop-packed files, but I either can't figure out how to use it properly or it doesn't work. I know I could use transcode to convert the files into MPEG, but that takes several hours as opposed to the few minutes that converting them with mencoder takes.

So, does anyone have suggestions on how to convert these files? Even if there's some quick way to convert them to regular DivX, that would be fine because then I can just run the regular DivX through mencoder as above and it will convert it quickly and with no quality loss.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
CanadianPenguin

Distribution: Ubuntu "Hoary" - The best distro around by a long shot.

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Bump?

Old 06-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
syaochan
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
you can use avidemux to unpack vop packed divx, and you can use it also for encode mpegs, it works great and it is very easy to use
bye ^_^

Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
santiagosilva

Rep: Reputation: 30
I just tried the command mentioned earlier, but in the converted file, i didn't get sound.
the video plays fine, but just no sound.

any ideas of why this would be?

kind regards

Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
syaochan
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
mmm five years later...
The only thing I can think is some problem with the audio codec of the source video. Just try to re-encode the audio also, sorry no better ideas.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
santiagosilva

Rep: Reputation: 30
i know it's an old thread, but if i would've started a new one, our lovely admins would written me a formal complaint about "starting new threads when there's old once pertaining to it". haha.. JK

maybe i should specify that it's when i try to play the file on a DVD player hooked up to my TV that the sound doesn't work. on the computer it works fine.

does this mean anything to you?

thanks for the reply

kind regards