LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
halo14

Distribution: Debian | CentOS | Arch

Rep: Reputation: 45
Toshiba Satellite 315 CDT... Distro ideas??

hey guys... just looking for input...

I have a Toshiba Satellite 515 CDT:
200 MHz Pentium MMX
32 MB RAM
3 GB HD
Optical Drive and Floppy as well as PCMCIA NIC

I want to set it up for my daughter to use.. (7) so i want it to be both well running, and easy to use...

Sounds like a job for Vector right?? wrong.. I tried that... and it won't install... I get all these errors half-way through the install about ther timestamp on some files being like 10 years into the future... er something along thsoe lines...

I have done HD installs of DSL ans Feather... which both seemed to run okay... but the new DSL wouldn't install.. or even boot up live... it hangs right after detecting the Processor...

DSL .8.1 i think was the one i installed.. and it's okay... but fluxboxisn't really ideal for a 7 year old... I had an older book with a Red Hat 6 publishers edition... so it was only 1 disc... and it installed... but the resolution is terrible and i couldn't figure out how to fix it..

I have never tried red hat 7.3 but it always seems to be the best older linux... anybody know of some screenshots... or even if it will work?

I was going to try arch... but it's only a Pentium I...

I'm considering sticking Win95 on it for her... but I really don't want to... But I need something still functional enough for her to play games with, as well as learn how to use the internet... I have both a PCMCIA wireless card and a 3Com ethernet card for it... so networking is not a problem...

Old 11-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
hostprotect

Rep: Reputation: 15
I had slackware going on my old toshiba no probs.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:05 AM   #3
theYinYeti

Distribution: Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: 66
I have a Toshiba Satellite 300CDS (150 MHz Pentium MMX, 32 MB RAM, 2 GB HD).
I installed Mandrake9.1 on it (Mdk10.0 install fails with Perl errors). Everything's working perfect.

As for easiness, I use the Matchbox window manager. I can't imagine a simpler window manager for childrens (all windows are full screen), and it is lightweight-enough for this laptop.

See:
http://matchbox.handhelds.org
Write a follow-up if you need help.

Yves.