LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
tho_x_tran

Rep: Reputation: 15
which DVD player can play DVD from hard drive *and* support DVD Menu ?

Mplayer is nice and suports so many types but it does not support DVD menu which is hard to understand. XINE is also a great DVD player but cannot play ISO or *entire* ripped DVD movies from hard drive. OGLE is so unstable and GUI is so inferior.

Anyone knows anything better than XINE and MPLAYER. I really like to see InterVideo DVD on Linux but it seems the effort got lost somehow.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
m_yates

Distribution: Debian, Mint, Mythbuntu

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Ogle supports menus.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
tho_x_tran

Original Poster
Actually I just found out that XINE can play ripped DVD from hard drive. In the setup input tab just replace the DVD device with the pathname on the hard drive where the movie is. Or one can also edit the 'config' file in .xine directory to specify 'input.dvd_device' to point to where on the hard drive the ripped DVD locates. It works great . I love XINE. Ogle is too buggy and GUI is very inferior.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
wearetheborg

Distribution: Mint 19.1

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally posted by tho_x_tran
Actually I just found out that XINE can play ripped DVD from hard drive. In the setup input tab just replace the DVD device with the pathname on the hard drive where the movie is. Or one can also edit the 'config' file in .xine directory to specify 'input.dvd_device' to point to where on the hard drive the ripped DVD locates. It works great . I love XINE. Ogle is too buggy and GUI is very inferior.
How do u rip dvds in linux?

Old 09-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
Electro
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Easy, use either mplayer, transcode, or dvd::rip. The linux way is to use dd and setting the image as a raw device.

Quote:
Mplayer is nice and suports so many types but it does not support DVD menu which is hard to understand.
The reason why mplayer does not support DVD menu (dvdnav library) is because the developers do not like the way dvdnav libraries works. The dvdnav library does an MPEG-2 hack to inject the menu information. Many Windows programs uses the MPEG-2 hack method to display navigation menus. I guess mplayer developers is waiting until MPEG-4 hits DVD movies because it is an object base codec that can make dvd navigation menus a little easier to make and to use. DiVix and Xvidx does not comply to MPEG-4 formats. You can look on mplayer's mailing list to see if there is a patch that adds dvdnav support.

There is totem and video lan player.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
jg123
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Lightbulb

I know this topic is old but I found it through Google. You can play dvd's with xine (xine-ui) using the following syntax:
Code:
xine 'dvd://path/to/file.iso'
or
Code:
xine dvd://"path with spaces/to/file.iso"
In mythtv:
Code:
xine --fullscreen dvd://%s

Old 03-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
david.dales

With all the appropriate supporting packages installed, many will play DVDs with menus.

Kaffeine, Mplayer, Xine, VideoLan, etc.....

Old 03-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
KimVette

Distribution: OpenSUSE, CentOS, RHEL

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearetheborg
'u' search and find one of the many threads covering that very topic, and don't hijack the thread.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
schneidz
LQ Guru

Distribution: fedora-35

Rep: Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918Reputation: 918
will kaffeine play dvd's from the hard drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg123
I know this topic is old but I found it through Google. You can play dvd's with xine (xine-ui) using the following syntax:
Code:
xine 'dvd://path/to/file.iso'

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dales
With all the appropriate supporting packages installed, many will play DVDs with menus.

Kaffeine, Mplayer, Xine, VideoLan, etc.....
will kaffeine play dvd's from the hard drive with dvd-menu support? (knoppix live-cd)

Last edited by schneidz; 07-21-2006 at 11:21 AM.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
jg123
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidz

will kaffeine play dvd's from the hard drive with dvd-menu support? (knoppix live-cd)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...05#post2164805

kaffeine "dvd://path/to/my/isofile.iso"

Old 07-24-2006, 01:36 AM   #11
ddales
LQ Newbie

JG123 is correct. Mplayer and VLC will also both do this but I'm not sure if they will work with Knoppix or not.

I would say most of the media players will have about the same functionality and that it's just a matter of preference.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:03 AM   #12
slantoflight

Distribution: Smoothwall

Rep: Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro
The linux way is to use dd and setting the image as a raw device.
yea!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
GNUlancer

Distribution: Slax KillBill

Hmm.. Since I have read some essential part of mplayer's manual (i mean the commandline core part, not gmplayer) i never thought about where to get a better player, cause it has literally all the features. Just search trough the manual ('man mplayer', then type '/', enter the search string, and hit Enter, use 'n' to move to the next occurence). I don't know, whether it has the DVD menu support,..

Old 11-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
GNUlancer

...but you don't really need it for managing your audio/video. The main key commands are left, right, up, down, pgup, pgdown, *, /, space, # (changing the audio tracks on a videoDVD; don't forget to hold Shift), <, > (changing the video tracks, again don't forget Shift). If you're still in trouble, download'n'burn a 6MB geexbox livecd, and forget about these problems.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
GNUlancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantoflight
yea!
Just don't forget, dd is a part of GNU coreutils and Linux is just a kernel

Tags
xine