LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
jkw109
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora Core 1 Won't Install on Compaq Presario SR1010NX Desktop

Here's what happens when I try to install Fedora Core 1 on my Compaq Presario SR1010NX desktop:

1. I insert installation CD #1.
2. I reboot the PC.
3. The Fedora installation screen appears.
4. I press Enter to begin the installation.
5. The installation script prints the following 2 lines:

Loading vmlinuz . . . . .
Loading initrd.img . . . .

and then the PC reboots, putting me back at step 3. No error messages are given.

(It also doesn't work if I use a boot installation floppy instead of a CD.) I get exactly the same behavior with Fedora Core 2. Knoppix will run from the CD if I boot it with the failsafe option, but the PC hangs if I try to install it. I've tried countless permutations of boot options such as noprobe, noapic, nomce, nousb, nopcmcia, etc., and I've turned off "Legacy USB support" in the BIOS. Of course, I've configured the BIOS to boot from the CD first. And, yes, I've read the long thread on this web site about the similar problem with ASUS motherboards.

Here's my hardware:

- CPU: 2.8 MHz Celeron
- RAM: 256 MB (248 MB available, 8 MB used by the video card)
- BIOS: Phoenix AwardBIOS rev. 3.09 03/25/2004
- Motherboard: MSI MX-6577 M-ATX Rev. 3.1
(Note: MSI couldn't help me because this is an OEM board, presumably made by Compaq.)
- Display adapter: integrated Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
- IDE controller: Intel 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller-24CB
- Hard disk: ST340015A
- CD drive: Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S
- Monitor: Dell 1503FP analog LCD
- Network adapter: Realtek RTL8139/810x
- Audio: integrated Realtek AC'97

I've spent 2 months trying every idea I can find on the Internet. Of course, Compaq won't help because it's not Windows. And the store won't take the PC back now because I've had it more than 30 days. I don't want to give up on this machine yet, but I realize it may just not be compatible with Linux. Please help.

Old 09-12-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 87
This situation seems a little unusual, so let me toss out a couple of random thoughts:

1. How is your current disk partitioned? If it's 100% allocated to Windows, then I'd suggest dealing with the hard drive partitioning work first. Obviously in order to install Linux, you will need free, unallocated disk space to install it into, and you might as well have it available before you kick off the installation process. (Note that unallocated disk space is a totally different thing than unused space within your Windows installation.) Use a partitioning tool such as Partiton Magic, or the one I like BootIT NG to resize your existing Windows partition, and thus create your Linux space if you have not done so already.

2. Along these lines, I'd recommend going ahead and defining at least 2 partitions for Linux in your newly available space before you attempt the installation. At a minimum you'd need a 256Mg swap space and a "/" (aka root) partition but to be honest it would be better to go with at least 3 partitions: swap, / and /home. Partitioning schemes are highly subjective and everyone has their own ideas as to what is best, but if you've got a 40G drive, and assuming you set it up as a dual boot and give half it to Windows, a generic approach might give 256Mg to swap, 5G to /, and everything else (approx 15G) to /home.

3. Although FC1 may be your distro of choice, you may want to give a few other distros a try-out as well. Both LQ ISO and LinuxISO are excellent sources for many of the most popular distros. Be sure to MD5SUM your ISO images before burning them to CD however; there is no point in burning a corrupted image to a disk and then expecting it to work.

4. As a general comment, most hardware is neutral when it comes to what operating system you are trying to install. I'm not familiar with the exact PC you happen to be using, but I'm pretty sure that you should be able to successfully install Linux on it. It sounds like you've been hitting a dead end so far, but don't give up hope. Having a successfully running Linux system is a worthy prize.

Good luck with it and Welcome to LQ! -- J.W.

Last edited by J.W.; 09-12-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:49 AM   #3
bountyhunterxl
LQ Newbie

I have the same problem, this time with FC2.

@ J.W.
I really dont see how resizing partitions will help, as installation never actually starts. You may have misunderstood the nature of the problem jkw109 and I seem to be having. The initial splash screen shows up, asking if you want GUI installtion or text, then after making your choice it immediately reboots after these lines show up:

Loading vmlinuz . . . . .
Loading initrd.img . . . .

It reboots immediately after these lines show up. Neither the text or gui installer shows up, just a straight up reboot.
In any case, i did try what you suggested and still ended up with the same result.

Strangely enough, FC1's installation seems to go on fine with me. The gui installer shows up. I have yet to try if it completes, as i'd like to try and get FC2 in instead. You hafta admit, this is strange behavior indeed.

In case if it is indeed hardware related (i woudnt know why, but just in case) the specs of the box in question:

proc: P4 2.8ghz, 800mhz fsb, HT enabled (turning this on or off makes no diff)
board: Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
ram: 2x 512mb apacer ddr400
hdd: Seagate ST3160023A
vid card: GF FX5200

Any ideas anyone? Any help would be appreciated.

<--edit!-->

found this in the distro notes:

Attempts to install Fedora Core 2 on ASUSŪ motherboards in the P4P800 series may not proceed past the "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel." message, making installation impossible. No workaround is available at this time. For more information, monitor bug 121819:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=121819

so much for hardware being neutral
i guess its FC1 for me then.

@jkw109: i suggest you try looking at the link to bugzilla, they got a lot of posts about FC installations hanging on certain mobos (mostly Asus tho).

Last edited by bountyhunterxl; 09-21-2004 at 01:56 AM.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:35 AM   #4
KevAvatar
LQ Newbie

Same problem as jkw109 and bountyhunterxl. My hardware is P4 on Asus P4P800.

I get this:

Loading vmlinuz......................
Loading initrd.img...........................
(clear screen)
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel
(screen cleared by system reset, reboots)

The "uncompressing..." message flashes for a tiny fraction of a second. I had to use a digital video recorder to catch what it said.

There are several workarounds in Bugzilla at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=121819 , the most promising of which is "Additional Comment #201 From Mani Singh on 2004-08-27 20:55".

However it's all quite a hassle, and I see now that Fedora Core 3 is in test, so I'm trying that next. I'll report negative results here.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 PM   #5
ieeestd802
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Fedora Core 2: Installer reboot the system when loading initrd.img

It also happens on my Compaq Presario (Celeron ) machine.

Is there a workaround ?

I wonder if this only happens for Fedora release or if it also happens for other release.
has Fedora 3 released fix this problem ?

Old 10-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
aswokei
LQ Newbie

Yup, I have the same problem installing Fedora Core 2. \

2.8 Prescott, 800 FSB
Asus P4800s mobo
2 x 512 PC3200
Geforce FX 5900 XT

Maybe it's something to do with our motherboards?

Old 11-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #7
jkw109
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Problem solved, thanks to tormented_one.

To sum up, here's how to get Fedora Core to install on the Compaq Presario SR1010NX:

1. Get a copy of Fedora Core 2.
2. At the installation prompt, enter "linux acpi=off".

Note: This will not work with FC1. Also, this will not help those of you with ASUS motherboards.

Now if only I can get my CD player to work.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Cyber Strike
LQ Newbie

Well i've tried:

Fedora Core 2
Fedora Core 3
CollegeLinux
Morphix LiveCD
Suse 9.1 LiveCD
Suse 9.1 Personal
Slax LiveCD

All of them cause the same problem - reboots of the system (more or less). Errors none the less. Fedora reboots my computer at setup just like mentioned.

So how do I access the prompt for Fecore Core? I am really new to this. I'd like to get Suse 9.1 going if possible, if there is a similar root?

System Specs (yes, we all have mighty compaqs!):

My system is SLIGHTLY modified, but not much.

Intel Celeron 2.53 GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM (upgraded from 256MB)
40GB hard-disk (not sure of brand, never looked)
80GB hard-disk (samsung)
ATI Radeon 9200 SE PCI 128MB DDR (installed after)
Lite-On 4832k CD-R/W

Motherboard: MS-6577 M-ATX

Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Ogi

Distribution: Anything with a bash prompt :P

I hate compaqs because of their (lack of) linux support.

Anyway. The problems you are having is due to a buggy ACPI implementation, hence adding the "acpi=off" option to the linux prompt will fix that (although you will lose all ACPI features).
This will work on all linux dustros, just before they boot they have what looks like a command line (and usually the F1 button will give you help with prompt commands)

Now I just need to find a way of getting the stupid graphics working with debian.....

Good luck all of you compaq users! (i dont have a compaq, but i have been asked to install linux on them for people, what a pain to do.... )

Old 12-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #10
vtecturbo13

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

i have a presario sr1110nx and it sounds like i used to have the same prob, try loading the kernel, linux acpi=off

Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
stabface
LQ Newbie

Compaq Presario SR1010NX

i have the Compaq Presario SR1010NX i had all of the same problems trying to install linux, after usingapic=off it would get into the install of the system but i would normally get a crash or an error somewhere during install.

however, Using Vectorlinux SOHO 5.1 with the 2.4.29 kernel it was a straight install with no apic=off or other codes. straight install and up and running. I ran into a problem trying to install the system with pci video card taking the card out fixed the install, then you pop it back in you still run into problems getting it to boot with the card in with PCI video card enabled in the Bios but i am sure someone with a little more EXP in linux could get around this. So, i would say anyone using this machine look at vectorlinux.com for help