LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
mawarsha

Distribution: RedHat 8.0, Mandrake 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
SAMBA and XP Problem

I have setup my SAMBA server and everything was going fine until I tried to access the server via my Windows XP computer Network Neighnorhood.

I keep getting the message:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\Localhost is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

You were not connected because a duplicate name exits on the network.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. I am the network administrator (there are only 2 comps on the network)
2. There are not duplicate names on the network
3. It does not ask me for a l/p so how does it know if I have permission or not?

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
RonS
LQ Newbie

Samba and XP

Sorry I have no answer for you, but thought I'd let you know you're not alone. My setup is similar and I get a similar message.

Do you see you Linux system in Windows Explorer |My Network Places | Entire Network | Microsoft Windows Network | Workgroup???? In my case I see the Linux system listed, but get the error message when I try to open it. When I try to view my Linux machine (\\TPI) from XP it times out and error message reads: '\\Tpi is not accessible. You might not have pernission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access pernissions. No service is operating at the destination network endpoint on the remote system.'

I am able to mount my XP shares from my RH8 Linux system, just not the other way around.

Last edited by RonS; 02-02-2003 at 12:10 PM.

Old 02-02-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
mawarsha

Original Poster
It seems like a lot of people are having the same problems. I wish the SAMBA team would post something addressing this issue.

Anyway, I can see the "Samba Server" in My Network Places>View all Workgroup Computer - It's just that when I double click to view the samba server I get that error and cannot access it at all.

VERY frustrating. Can't wait til I move on to sharing printers

Old 02-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
Darin

Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, Gentoo, RH/Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 45
With XP home there is no true client-server networking, it only works as a peer network client. So with XP home you would have the same problem trying to browse a real Windows server's shares. What that means to you guys is that it's possible that you can't browse the linux machine till you fake a client-server connection by trying to access a particular share. So try start -> run -> \\linux-box\share_folder and enter a username and password that is valid for samba and then you should be able to browse it in net places.

At least that sounds like what you are experiencing, if that is the case set "security=share" in your smb.conf and that may fix it.

Old 02-02-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
mawarsha

Original Poster
Thanks Darin for the suggestion, but still no luck. Now I am getting a different error though: \\Samba is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permission. The network path was not found.

This is both when I do a Start>Run and when I double click on the Samba server in my Network Neighborhood>View workgroup computers.

Here is my smb.conf file if anyone can assist me better by seeing it...

[global]
workgroup = Mshome
netbios name = Samba
server string = Samba Server for Matt
hosts allow = 192.168.0.
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = lprng
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
pam password change = yes
obey pam restrictions = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
dns proxy = no

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
valid users = %S
create mode = 0664
directory mode = 0775

[printers]
comment = All printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks again.

Last edited by mawarsha; 02-02-2003 at 04:34 PM.

Old 02-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #6
RonS
LQ Newbie

In [Homes] try:
browseable = yes

Old 02-02-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
mawarsha

Original Poster
Nope, setting browseable = yes did not work

I am really surprised at how difficult something so simple should be. Thanks for the suggestion RonS.

Any others?

Old 02-02-2003, 03:42 PM   #8
RonS
LQ Newbie

Setting security = share didn't change my symptoms either.

I will start my own thread so as to not confuse issues with yours.

Good Luck!

Last edited by RonS; 02-02-2003 at 04:05 PM.

Old 02-02-2003, 06:59 PM   #9
jamrock

Rep: Reputation: 41
Please check your firewall settings. Make sure that the firewall is not preventing all access to the Linux box from the network.

If you trust everything coming to your Linux box from the network, make eth0 a trusted device.

Not too sure what the commands are on Redhat 8.0. On Redhat 7.* we type lokkit and choose cutomize.

Quesition for Darin.

I notice that the smb.conf file refers to the smbpasswd file as well as to PAM. Is this an issue?

Old 02-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #10
jamrock

Rep: Reputation: 41
By the way...

Are you on an existing network or are you trying to connect these two machines?

The settings in the smb.conf will be different.

Old 02-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #11
mawarsha

Original Poster
I am on my home network and these are the only 2 machines I am trying to connect right now, but in the future there will be more.

Old 02-02-2003, 08:40 PM   #12
mawarsha

Original Poster
I tried typing in my address as \\192.168.0.100 (the address of the samba server) and I can see a folder called Printers and Faxes on it. When I try to go to \\192.168.0.100\username I get a diolouge box asking for the password for the username 192.168.0.100\Guest What is the password for this? It does not let me change the username...????

Old 02-03-2003, 08:11 AM   #13
mawarsha

Original Poster
No more suggestions? Nobody knows how to logon as \\192.168.0.100\Guest? or what that is?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #14
Darin

Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, Gentoo, RH/Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by mawarsha
I tried typing in my address as \\192.168.0.100 (the address of the samba server) and I can see a folder called Printers and Faxes on it. When I try to go to \\192.168.0.100\username I get a diolouge box asking for the password for the username 192.168.0.100\Guest What is the password for this? It does not let me change the username...????
Guest AFIK means that samba doesn't have an existing username that matches your windows username so it is trying to authenticate you through the guest account.

Sounds like you need to set up users for samba, I think PAM is supposed to do that but looks like it isn't for some reason.
Just make linux accounts using useradd or your favorite X GUI and then use smbpasswd (or can it be done in swat?) to make samba accounts to match. the accounts should match the login names you are using for XP.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:02 AM   #15
Wolven

Rep: Reputation: 30
Another thing, in XP, go to a file manager window (explorer, my computer, whatever) and hit Tools, Folder Options. Click the VIEW tab, and scroll down to the bottom. Uncheck the "simple file sharing" thingy. It gives you more options to use networking. That MIGHT get you the ability to change the login from guest.