LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #1
ddd3

Distribution: Mandriva 2006

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry 'Mandrake 10 official' download CDs. FATAL ERROR IN STAGE1

I wrote about this a while ago, but so much has changed that I'm not going to complicate things further by going back to the original thread.

I have two sets of of these CDs, and have the same problems with both of them. I'm trying to upgrade from 9.2 to 10, and I get all manner of problems along the way, ranging from the disc not being recognized to the program freezing at various stages into the load.

After maybe a month of experimenting, I have established that by far the most common error message comes after the 'Loading program into memory' at the beginning of the intall. Sometimes there's a 'thinking period' before it and sometimes not, but the message is:-

error in exec of stage2 :-c
trying to execute '/usr/bin/runinstall2' from the installation volume,
the following fatal error occured

FATAL ERROR IN STAGE1: I/O error

I can't recover from this.
You may reboot your system.

That must be the most unhelpful error message ever, but has anyone else had this problem? If anyone else can identify what may be causing this I just might be on my way to sorting out whatever is causing the machine to malfunction at the sight of the Man10 CDs...

Last edited by ddd3; 06-24-2004 at 06:14 PM.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
furfurdemon666

Rep: Reputation: 30
I cannot help you in upgrading from Mandrake 9.x to 10.0 but I will suggest that you do a clean install of Mandrake 10.0. While it's possible to upgrade w/o problems (and I'm sure some have done it) Most of the people I've talked to who have used Mandrake for a long time suggest a clean install vs. upgrading. If you backup your system often this shouldn't be a problem.

If you insist upon upgrading vs. clean install just dismiss this post.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
ddd3

Original Poster
I always try upgrading first. Sometimes it works, and if it doesn't I can always do an install afterwards.

Unfortunately I'm getting the error message before I've even had the chance to choose...

Old 06-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
meccax5
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
i have the same exact problem.
anyone have a solution?

Old 06-08-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
HenchmenResourc

Distribution: OpenSUSE 12.2

Rep: Reputation: 30
even though you may be able to get the upgrade to work, in the case of your update, if you are doing this on your home system i would recommend doing a clean install since mandrake 10 uses the 2.6.x kernel.the new kernel handles quite a few things slightly differently than the 2.4.x kernel did, especialy when it comes to sound. I think you will have a much easier/smoother upgrade by doing a clean install.

Old 06-09-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
Black_iCE_mdk

OK - i had the same problem. All i did was rewrite the first CD @ a very low speed and then it all worked. It is the CD's that you wrote to that causes this error. Mine always stopped just before i was in the installer. (the program being loaded into memory). The CD worked before and then stopped working and i was successfull to re-install with the newly written CD. (I/O error - Indicating that somthing with the device or media is at fault)

BTW - Check that your dowload has the correct CHKSUMs, it would be useless to burn faulty ISO's to CD!.

Cheers.
Black iCE

Old 06-24-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
RogerRabbit
LQ Newbie

Hi all,

I had the same problem.
But i tried everthing. I tried 3 diffrent CD-Roms.
I burned 3 diffrent type of CD (slow,fast,other burner)

But nothing work, while loading program into memory,
the same error occured:

error in exec of stage2 :-c
trying to execute '/usr/bin/runinstall2' from the installation volume,
the following fatal error occured

FATAL ERROR IN STAGE1: I/O error

But the best is, i tried the same with mandrake 9.2 and i burned the Mandrake on
the same CD with the same burner.
that worked very well.

So i think it's not the CD or the CD Rom. I think it's the Mandrake 10.0 Version.
Now i installed Mandrake 9.2 and it works very well (without stress)

Old 06-24-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
ddd3

Original Poster
I reinstalled 9.2 so I could write to this forum. At that time it was working fine, but when I went to try burning CD1 at a slower speed I discovered that all my media players, including CD burning programs, had disappeared.

Very strange. Maybe I'll try reinstalling 9.1!

Old 06-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
prophet621

I'm having same issue. I downloaded the .iso on 3 different computers at least twice each from multiple sources and 3 different burners at different speeds. All get the same message and on each computer.

Currently I have Suse 9.1 and while there are several things I really like about it, it has several issues that are really irritating me and I want to give Mandrake a shot but 9.2 had some issues with my laptop that I would rather not go through again.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:44 AM   #10
KlaymenDK

Distribution: FreeBSD v6.0

Lightbulb Try this ...

I've also had some installation problems, but I finally managed to succeed.

The problem (for me), I think, was cause by unreliable memory. I mean, I've been running various Windows version on this pc (1.4GHz cpu, 265Mb ram) for some years without a hitch, but the memory test option provided on the linux installation reported hundreds of thousands of memory errors. I should note that my box accepts PC100/PC133/DDR ram, and I've got two sticks of PC100 and one stick of PC133 (running as PC100). All of these sticks were reported as faulty by the memory test (which I must admit I don't have very much confidence in).

What I did was, I removed some of the memory and ran the installation on 128Mb of ram -- this worked fine -- and then I plugged the memory back in, finding that Linux now uses all my memory without problems.

So, try installing with less (or possibly slower) memory, and see if that works.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #11
ddd3

Original Poster
I've got 3 sticks of 133. The memory test didn't flag up any faults, but after running it started all over again. It still didn't find any faults, and then it restarted... again. I let it run for one more cycle, and after it still found no errors I interrupted it.

I don't know why it kept repeating itself, but I think I can safely say there's no problem with my memory.

BTW. How long should a test take? I'm reckoning that the 3 run-throughs took over an hour.

Old 06-27-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
RogerRabbit
LQ Newbie

So i tested my memory, but my memory is good.

But the same error occurred as i tried to install mandrake.

But i tried another way.

I burned the ISO file from CD 1 on a DVD. Then the DVD-Rom could boot from this DVD.
No Fatal error, just the normal installation program starts.

But what's the different ?

Mandrake 9.2 on CD = works OK
Mandrake 10.0 on CD = didn't work
(i tried 3 different blank CD's, different CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives and different burner)

Mandrake 10.0 on DVD = works OK

Now what's wrong ?
Because if mandrake need CD 2 i gave them a CD and not a DVD, and then it seems,
that Mandrake cannot read my CD.
Could Mandrake 10.0 only read DVD ?

I don't know what happened. Tomorrow i will burn the other two ISO file on to a DVD,
and then try again.

Old 06-27-2004, 05:04 PM   #13
setlec_seta

Distribution: Mandriva 2010.1 pwp 64bit

Rep: Reputation: 31
hi all i had the same problem that u have or had i've resolve my problem like that:
- First i've tried to install with my CDs in another comp (it did'nt work!), so i've asked to a friend to dl the ISOs and he burned it.
-Second i've tried to install on my comp his CDs and it worked!
-Third before to install mdk 10.0 i've started my comp on mdk 9.1 and saved my progs and files on an other partition. And installed mdk 10.0 on a clean partition ( after formated it with partition Magik 8.0!)

I hope that u could dl mdk 10.0 once again on a friend comp and have this pacien too... I've been crazy with that!!!!!

Cheers