LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Games
User Name
Password
Linux - Games This forum is for all discussion relating to gaming in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
TheOneAndOnlySM

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Howto: Install Unreal Tournament in Linux

This is the followup of my success story:
UT will run in linux! Two ways: wine or native

Under wine:
-20031212 is the one that i've had the most success with so far, however i could not get sound working (if anyone knows how to get sound working under wine, please let me know)
-anyway, do the usual ./tools/wineinstall
-edit ~/.wine/config, changing the line that talks about what windows version to emulate to win98 (you may just have to uncomment this line)
-make sure you have enough hdd (about 600 megs)
-mount your ut cdrom (i had to do it in either a drive with scsi emulation or one labeled as ide-cd for 2.6 kernels; otherwise, wine said something about truncated files) using mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (or whatever device it is)
-cd into your mounted cd-drive, and do wine Setup.exe, watch, be amazed, and click install (i installed all the options except the netgames online thing)
-from here, i chose not to run ut, but you can if you want (it makes not difference)
-since i had the installer install into the default directory, ut will run by doing cd ~/c/UnrealTournament/System, then doing wine UnrealTournament.exe
-a 3d devices chooser will come up, make sure you choose the software renderer! (because it is a software renderer, you may not need 3d drivers)
-select to run ut and there you have it!

*the main oddity with ut under wine, except for sound, is the inability to keep resolutions correct
to solve this, i edited my ~/c/UnrealTournament/System/UnrealTournament.ini, changing the lines about screen resoultions (all four of them, each with lines about horizontal and vertical resolution, so 8 lines) to 1024 and 786
now ut should look just fine
**note: if you accidentally choose direct3d instead of software, do not worry, ut will probably just start and hang; after this happens exit the terminal window and if X looks really messed up, logout and log back in; rerun ut and it will bring up a menu about ut's inability to start; elect to change video drivers
***also, you don't need the cd after install
****Does online play work under wine? info greatly appreciated

Now for those who want the native Unreal Tournament install
just to let you know, it is likely that you will come upon stumbling blocks, but don't give up! my first main stumbling block was that the installer just decided to die randomly and my cd drive would slow down and halt for some reason, but that just could be me
-anyway, first thing is first, download ut-install-436.run either by searching the web or from here: http://angelfire.lycos.com/ny3/mitec...nstall-436.run (you may have to right-click and choose save target as); *note: there is a goty installer for those of you with the 2-disc version of ut, search on the web, it should be able to follow the instructions here, but you will have to mount and unmount your cd's to change (personally, i didn't care about my second cd, i actually couldn't find it, so even if you have the goty edition, you can use the normal installer)
-make sure you have 3d support, 3d drivers installed (like nvidia drivers for nvidia cards)
-check that you have sufficient hdd space, about 600 megs (the installer will probably say 480 megs, but you will be having to decompress things later)
-now, become root with su, and do chmod 777 /usr/local/bin and chmod 777 /usr/local/games (yes, most people will go !!!!, but don't worry, nothing bad will happen and it can the permissions can change later); then, do exit to get out of root (the main reason for changing permissions is to avoid oddities that would happen later on if the game was installed as root)
-mount your ut cdrom with mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (or whatever device and folder), do ./ut-install-436.run (in the directory it is located), a graphical installer will come up, and hit begin install (at this point, you should watch the installer to make sure it doesn't fail; if it does, unmount your cd and remount it, and try again)
-after the installer is done, it will tell you to just run ut, but we need to decompress the maps first, otherwise you will get segmentation fault errors
-ut should have been installed to /usr/local/games/ut, so what i recommend doing is opening up a terminal or window browser like nautilus, and going into /usr/local/games/ut/Maps (if in terminal, do dir or ls when in this directory), so you can see all those map files (they should end in .uz)
-all the files that end in .uz are compressed, the ut will not be able to read these; you need to one by one decompress the maps (i was not able to find a shortcut, but the tediousness of the task is worth it); in a terminal, type ucc decompress /usr/local/games/ut/Maps/Mapname.unr.uz (each time you do this, you should see stage 1, stage 2, etc followed by a message about decompressed Mapname.unr.uz --> Mapname.unr *note: you can press up on your keyboard to show your last entry in the terminal; this way, you don't have to type /usr/local/games/ut/Maps all the time; also, use the autocomplete feature by typing just part of the filename and then pressing TAB
-now, rename the folder Maps to Maps2, and make a new folder called Maps in the ut game directory
-all of those decompressed maps are in your ~/.loki/ut/System directory; i just recommend opening up two window browsers, one for the ut Maps dir (should be empty) and one for the decompressed Maps dir; just move the ones in the .loki dir to the empty directory; you can also move the maps in Maps2 that did not end in .uz to the Maps directory
-change the permissions of /usr/local/bin back to its original (as root, su) with chmod 755 /usr/local/bin, and for me, i left /usr/local/games/ut with 777 permissions, you can change /usr/local/games back to 755 if you want, but games/ut will need to remain 777
-finally, sit back, relax, open a terminal and type ut, hit enter, wait a bit as a bunch of stuff appears in the terminal window, and watch ut with full color and sound appear... you now have Unreal Tournament working natively under linux!

*note: you don't need your cd anymore
**i have not tested online play, if someone could try that out, it would be greatly appreciated (i can't use aol on linux...)
***Have Fun!

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlySM; 12-21-2003 at 10:33 PM.

Old 12-21-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
trey85stang

Rep: Reputation: 41
native install.. just a note.. if you have problems installing from cd.. copy the game disc(s) to a directory on your HD, open a terminal, cd to the directory with the run file. and run the follwoing command,

export SETUP_CDROM=/path/to/cd/files/on/your/hdd
then run the setup... if you have GOTY, i do the following.. make a dir called ut, and two sub folders "one" & "two" put disc one in one, and disc two in two. i cut the files out of disc one and paste them in the ut directory, when the installer prompts for disc two, i cut all the files from the ut direcotry and paste them backinto the one folder... and cut all from two and paste into ut... to continue with the disc two.

works like a charm to me... and also GOTY year installer automatically decompresses the files.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Garrett85

Rep: Reputation: 6
What I'M getting

This is what I'm getting. Any ideas?

garrett@mint-desktop ~/Downloads $ ./ut-install-436.run
Verifying archive integrity...tail: cannot open `+6' for reading: No such file or directory
Error in check sums 1237260170 2341625838

Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
GlennsPref

Distribution: Devuan

Rep: Reputation: 283Reputation: 283Reputation: 283
Quote:
This is what I'm getting. Any ideas?
Sometimes this can be a permission error, but as the MD5sum failed, I'd say redownload and check the MD5sum again.

btw, sha.. is a better bit checker.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
kaostricks12
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
At one time, I spend at least an hour every day playing UT, I found the need to look down every possible avenue to get it to run in linux. I knew it was possible but I think I was a little lazy and a little scared of linux at the time to try. So I just booted into windows everytime I wanted to play. SO when I finally got it to run in Linux it was a big, totally cool step %) In an effort to put together a complete instruction guide for the total installation of UT, I depended on the current developers and my boyfriend Michael. Together we made a complete installation guide, from putting your GOTY Edition installation cd into the drive, to installing the umod packs, to starting UT for the first time. For any of these installs you will need the GOTY edition cds (or game data somewhere on your system)

Old 08-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Labello
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I am also for the fact that this permission error