LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
RSpendl
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Installing Fedora Core 4 on Toshiba M60-135

Dear all,
here are some hints for fellow Toshiba M60 users and maybe some other notebook users. Though I have installed FC4, some advice (regarding X and wireless) is probably generic for any other distribution, that's why I have put it in the "Laptop" forum, not "Fedora".

As this is my first thread, the URLs could not be correctly inserted, replace ! with slash (security is a bitch, isn't it...)

Robert

----------
Installing Fedora Core 4 on Toshiba M60-135 (ATI Radeon Mobility X700/128 M, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG)

Fedora Core 4 is well compatible with Toshiba Satellite M60, but it still needs some tweaks to make it work. I hope these instructions will save some time to M60 and possibly some other users.

1. PCMCIA freeze
After FC4 is installed and computer rebooted, it freezes. To get to the command line, you have to press I (Shift+i) when prompted (before it freezes, OFF/ON is the only solution once it happens!) and answer Yes to first 4 (or 5?) questions, and No to PCMCIA, after that answer Continue and the startup will continue well. X server will not start, but we'll come to that later - just answer that you do not want to see the X log, nor try to fix the installation.

The reason for PCMCIA freeze is, that I/O port range 0x800-0x80f is obviously taken by some device, so cardmgr freezes on start
Change /etc/pcmcia/config.opts line:
include ... 0x800-0x8ff... to
include ... 0x810-0x8ff.

You do not have to restart computer, you still have to install X in the text mode, so you can proceed.

2. X setup
Download ATI proprietary Linux driver for Xorg 6.8 (fglrx_6_8_0-8.16.20-1.i386.rpm) from www_ati:com (https:!!a248.e.akamai.net!f!674!9448!1m!www2.ati.com!drivers!linux!fglrx_6_8_0-8.16.20-1.i386.rpm)
In text mode this is done with elinks (and the full address, then select 'Save').
If you try
rpm -ivh fglrx_6_8_0-8.16.20-1.i386.rpm

it will complain about missing libstdc++.so.5 (GLIBCPP_3.2). So you have to download also an older version of libstdc++ (4.0 is installed with FC4), you can find mirrors of RPMs at http:!!rpm.pbone.net!index.php3!stat!4!idpl!1988152!com!libstdc++-3.2.3-52.i386.rpm.html.

When both rpms (fgrlx and libstdc++) are downloaded, install them with
rpm -ivh --force fglrx_6_8_0-8.16.20-1.i386.rpm libstdc++-3.2.3-52.i386.rpm
--force is necessary to allow ATI driver to overwrite existing OpenGL driver and to install older libstdc++.

After that you have to run fglrxconfig and configure the card. I guess the default answers are OK (I have not tried dual monitors yet, probably "clone" shall be the right option). The proper keyboard is 104 key. ATI knows of much less national layouts than Xorg, so if yours is not on the list, just select any other, you’ll need to fix xorg.conf manually anyway (Option "XkbLayout" "xx").

To enable 1440x900 resolution, /etc/X11/xorg.conf shall be edited manually. In the Section "Device" (Identifier "ATI Graphics Adapter") add line
ChipID 0x5652
(mine is at the end, just after BusID "PCI:1:0:0", but anywhere is fine)
This is necesary because the driver incorrectly auto-detects the chip 0x5653, but with that, the default resolution is 1024x768, stretched across the display.

The monitor is correctly autodetected, you do not have to put any ModeLines or sync values. If someone would have problems, the correct values are
HorizSync 54.7
VertRefresh 60
ModeLine 96.2 1440 1504 1536 1760 900 903 906 912

You can restart the computer now, so Fedora will finish it's installation. When asked about graphics card and monitor, just leave it as it is (otherwise, you'll have to go through fglrxconfig and manual editing of xorg.conf again), and answer, that you have heard the sound, though there was no sound.

3. Sound
When you try the test sound, you will not hear anthing, but ANSWER YES. The drivers are correctly installed, only External Amplifier is switched off by default. Switch it on in Kmix (Start-Sound&Video-KMix) or alsamixer and the sound will be fine.

4. Wireless network
Download ipw2200-1.0.0.tgz and ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz from ipw2200.sourceforge.net
These are the stable versions, mind that every version of the driver has appropriate firmware (1.0.0.-stable needs fw-2.2, not the newest version)

When you unpack (tar xzvf ipw2200-1.0.0.tgz), ./configure and make; make install the driver, you have to add
/sbin/modprobe ipw2200
to the startup scripts. Mine is in /etc/init.d/network, just before the comment #Check that networking is up (after /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia). I am not sure whether this is the correct place (I feel it should be more elegant, but did not learn it yet), but it works.

After that, you can restart networking (/etc/init.d/network restart), and the driver module will load. Check it with /sbin/lsmod | grep ipw2200, there should be two lines, one for ipw2200 module itself and the other for module ieee80211 which uses the ipw2200 module.

To actually connect to wireless network, you have to enable NetworkManager (in Start-System Settings-Server Setting-Services). NetworkManagerDispatcher is not necessary if you only want to connect, but if you want to run some custom scripts when the connection is made (e.g. to change hostname after connection to DHCP is made), you’ll need the dispatcher, too.

After you enable the NetworkManager, you have to manually start (Alt+F2) NetworkManagerInfo. A radar icon will appear in the right part of the taskbar, left-click on it and a menu with the network will show up. Click on the wireless network name and enter authentication code (if necessary). This is only necessary the first time you connect, afterwards it shall connect automatically after login.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:01 AM   #2
springshades

Distribution: Mainly just Mandriva these days.

Rep: Reputation: 30
This is good information.

I think it would be best if you posted this to the tutorial or wiki section on this website though. Then it won't immediately disappear to the second page and be lost forever.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
yemu
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
hi!
thanks for the great info about linux on m60 notebook. i also think about buying this notebook. i have some questions to you: - did you try to use a video-out with external monitor or a monitor? i plan to give some presentations on mine notebook that's why a possibility to switch video to external monitor is an important issue for me.
- how about hibernation and suspend to ram?
thanks in advance for your answers
best regards
yemu