LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2004, 05:21 PM   #1
EchoUK
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Mandrake 10 + vmware error

Hi

Im running vmware 4.0 and trying to install mandrake 10 onto the virtual machine that i am creating.

Everything goes fine until just after the installation asks for the 2nd cd its again ok for a while after the 2nd cd is inserted. However shortly after this vmware jumps out of full screen mode and the following error message appears.

*** VMware Workstation internal monitor error ***
PANIC F(135):777 bugNr=13647

Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "REMOVED URL SO COULD POST". Please provide us with the log file (D:\Linux\Linux\vmware.log) and the core file (D:\Linux\Linux\vmware-core.gz).
If the problem is repeatable, please select 'Run with debugging information' in the Options panel of the configuration editor. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
We appreciate your feedback,
-- the VMware Workstation team.

I have tried running the install from the cds as well as pointing the vmware to the isos but either way it still causes the error.

The following is from the log file created and shows the last few actions that occurred before the error plus the point where the error occurs:

Mar 14 22:57:21: mks| Changing display mode to <16, 800, 600, 85>
Mar 14 22:57:21: mks| MKS DIMOUSE done grabbing
Mar 14 22:57:21: mks| MKS FSS release vcpus after ack
Mar 14 22:57:25: ide1:0| ATAPI_CDROM: Unknown command 0x51.
Mar 14 22:58:27: vcpu-0| MONITOR PANIC: PANIC F(135):777 bugNr=13647
Mar 14 22:58:27: vcpu-0| Core dump with build build-4460

I am running winxp pro on the machine that I am running the vmware on.

Has any one else had this error or does anyone know what the problem and how to solve it?

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Echo

Old 03-25-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
mike635
LQ Newbie

I was able to get past that error by disabling acceleration in:

Edit | Virtual Machine Settings | Options | Advanced

Also, look at the VMWare | Guest Operating System Install Guide for Mandrake Linux 9.0 Installation Guide instructions. Some of it is applicable to version 10.0.

I still haven't worked out all the problems, such as being able to install the VMWare tools--the guide indicates that you do this through the guest OS, but I couldn't find the directory that is referred to in the instructions.

This is my first experience working with Linux, so maybe I've jumped into the deep end by trying to install Linux under VMWare.

Good luck and report back your findings.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
cghost98
LQ Newbie

Hi EchoUK

Try getting a hold of Vmware 4.5. I had the same issues when installing Mandrake 10 on a version 4 virtual machine and ran into issue. But 4.5 ran smoothly - no errors.

However I still can't get the VMWARE Tools to install but who cares when Mandrake 10 picked up all the drivers anyway! Runs perfectly despite this.

I think because Version 10 is so new, VMWARE hasn't caught up yet??

Cheers.

The MisFiT

Old 04-06-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
pudn
LQ Newbie

I have just put Mandrake 10 onto VMware version 4. When I go to install VMTools everything is ok until I get the following message:

"What is the location of the Directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [usr/src/linux/include]"

I'm fairly new to VMware and almost totally new to Linux so I don't have a clue on this. Anyone got any ideas please?

tia

Old 04-27-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
jaypeesmith
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by cghost98
Hi EchoUK

Try getting a hold of Vmware 4.5. I had the same issues when installing Mandrake 10 on a version 4 virtual machine and ran into issue. But 4.5 ran smoothly - no errors.

However I still can't get the VMWARE Tools to install but who cares when Mandrake 10 picked up all the drivers anyway! Runs perfectly despite this.

I think because Version 10 is so new, VMWARE hasn't caught up yet??

Cheers.

The MisFiT
You need to install the "kernel-source" package that matches your running kernel. To find out what kernel you have, type the command "uname -r" (without quotes).