LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #31
Stephanie
LQ Addict

Distribution: 9.2 Mandy 1.4 Gentoo 5.1 FreeBSD WinXP

Rep: Reputation: 45

I personally believe the human mind is capable of many things, including psychic powers, but that would raise an intereting question. If it can be done thru psychic means, then it would be a matter of time before we could create machinery that can do it for us, such as time travel, moving objects remotely, reading minds, etc.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:33 PM   #32
ChasidishHarry

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie
I personally believe the human mind is capable of many things, including psychic powers, but that would raise an intereting question. If it can be done thru psychic means, then it would be a matter of time before we could create machinery that can do it for us, such as time travel, moving objects remotely, reading minds, etc.
so why don't we have that machinery yet?

time travel is a question in itself - the famous (or not so famous) paradox: A guy is depressed, and wishes that he was never born. So he goes back in time and kills his grandfather. He comes back , and it's just as it was before he killed him.
Why?
Two Answers: 1) the "consistant histories approach". even if space-time is warped so that it would be possible to travel into the past, what happens in space-time must be consistent with the laws of physics. According to this, you could not go back in time unless history showed that you had already arrived in the past and had not killed your grandfather while being there. Moreover, you wouldn't be able to change recorded history - no free will.(Humans have free will because we can't predict what they''l do) For example, if a man goes off in a rocket ship and comes back before he set off, we will be able to predict what he will do because it will be a part of recorded history.
2) the "alternate histories hypothesis". when time-travelers go back in time, they enter alternate histories which differ from recorded history. because each thing you do in life could have been done differently, with different consequences to each side. So, you could kill your grandfather over and over, but that's not recorded history, that's the alternate universe that was created by you, and it will not affect our universe.

Regards,
Jerry

Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #33
WindowsBurner

Distribution: OpenSuse

Quote:
I personally believe the human mind is capable of many things, including psychic powers
Stephanie you just hit the nail directly on the head.
You are totally correct about psychic powers because I have them myself.Everybody has them but most people dont use them or know they are there so it seems as if they dont have them at all.A lot of the psychics who have you sit at a table and they read your past,future and talk to the dead are fake. But it is possible to do that.

Regards
WB

Old 01-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #34
SciYro

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 51
ok people care to do some reasearch here? teh brain is nothing more he the most complex computer, like a biological quantom computer, because its made of space space efects it, thus if it were wired corectly u could sence how much energy was in there air around you and stuff. as for psycics there are soo many kinds of things (remote veiwing(you can see what happens regardless of time and were it is) and clavoyance (can see the unknown) i 4get that the other 2 are but one is knowing the past the other knowing the future and mybe 1 other but i 4get it), each one should require the brain to be wired in a way that makes it possible to know such stuff. and i should point out sence soo amny people seem to be talking about tiem like its a elementry force that is in the universe, when in reality thats impossible, if tiem exists them u get soo many possibiliteis all ending in paradoxes like teh one above a bit, that would basicly destroy teh univerese. instead when you relize that tiem can not exit you then relize its not the universe that has tiem , its only our brains trying to make sence of things, sence out brains and everyithing we use to meause tiem in the end are molded on space, space effects time as we see it, the faster the particles go the fast tehy are moing thru what we see as time, thus leading to the conclusion that what we see as tiem is actual only the speed of particeles you relize that its impossbile to reverse it (even if a particle can travel at negative speeds would it go back in time? or would it curve a demention(s) that ours is molded on? meaning thats its basicly folding space), and this makes sence in another experment done (search this up if you dont beleive me), they made a atom give away 2 particeles(i 4get what ones it was either electrons or photons , think it was photons) and made them travel 6 miles apart, tehn one was stimulated and the other acted instinaniously to what happens to the 1rst particle (this is were quantom code is made) , it jsut coulda been that those particeles were acutaly the same particles in one demention that is folded, while in ours we see around teh folds so it apaears to be 2 particels when it just could have actualy been one?, i feel this is importants in this discusion cuse it makes sence of what would be nonsence, and givs a way for this psycic stuff to take place

Old 01-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #35
WindowsBurner

Distribution: OpenSuse

SciYo...I'm not sure I understand what your getting at...I'm having a hard time understanding what you wrote too.Are you saying there is such thing as psychic "powers" or that there isnt?

If your saying there isn't then I have to disagree big time.Because I can do many things with "psychic powers" some examples are : Seeing the future, sensing energy streams, altering phiscal reality. Everbody on this planet has these powers but some people dont know how to use them.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #36
SciYro

yea im not to good with the whole enlish language (even tho its my first and only language i know), alto i do admit its not overly clearly put ill say now that i am saying there is such a thing (most of it was just ramble about hows its possible) -- also i remberd the other 2 things
reconnition - knowing the past
pregodnotion - knowing the future

Last edited by SciYro; 01-06-2004 at 07:17 PM.

Old 01-07-2004, 07:28 AM   #37
matthewhardwick

personally i believ, and i think that the cia thing, there may be some truth in that, although maybe slightly twisted so he could get on tv. How it works, aparently, but the cia dont deny this, is that physics do something called remote vewing, not a snazzy name, but it aint that good, basically the person can see what is gong on in the room, like for instance a fly on the wall, dureing mediation and relaxation the person see visions.
my experiences have been favourable and pleasant with no reason to disbelive the theories. so myself im a beliver.

matt

Old 01-08-2004, 01:57 AM   #38
SciYro

http://web.tickle.com/tests/esp/auth.../esp/index.jsp lol thsi is fun check it out

Old 01-13-2004, 06:34 AM   #39
williamwbishop

A whole lot of non-critical thinking thought going on here.....ugh. Messy.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #40
SciYro

lol i ahte critical thinking too much hard head work

Old 01-13-2004, 10:22 PM   #41
williamwbishop

Yeah, I'd say most of the population agrees with you on that one. People still believe in pixies and the like. Makes me scratch my head sometimes.