LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
everythingand2

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Can't connect to Windows shares w/ Samba

I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject but I have yet to find a solution to my problem. I think I'm in need of some individual help so here's a good explanation of my problem.

I'm wanting to connect to a Windows share within my network from my Linux box. Samba works just fine when connecting from that box to the Linux however I can't get it to work in reverse.

I used this command to try to mount my Windows share:

Quote:
mount -t smbfs -o username=myUsername //10.192.212.154/htdocs /usr/local/winshares
It prompts me for my password (which is my password to logon to windows I'm assuming...please correct me if I'm wrong). I enter the password and I get the following message:

Quote:
4070: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed
I know the sharing permissions on the Windows folders are set correctly because I can map to them from a different Windows machine. When I enter this command...

Quote:
smbclient -L //10.192.212.154 -U myUsername
...followed by my password I get a "session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" message. Any idea what is causing this? I'm thinking it has something to do with my username and password but if I can map to the drive from another Windows computer then the username and password shouldn't be an issue, right? Please help! Thanks.

- Brad

Old 11-22-2003, 10:48 AM   #2
wldkos

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2 =<3 and Red Hat 8.0 (server)

Rep: Reputation: 30
are you the same user on windows as on linux?

say windows user = everything and linux user = everything with the same passwords on both machines?

Also, use swat man, so much easiter http://localhost:901 (on the samba server machine)

Old 11-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
everythingand2

Original Poster
Can you use SWAT to connect to Windows shares? I know you use it to setup connection from Windows to Linux (which works fine for me) but I didn't know it could work in reverse.

My password for the linux box is different from my windows password. Does this make any kind of difference? Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-22-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
everythingand2

Original Poster
help...anyone?

Old 11-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
Misel

Distribution: Slackware current

Rep: Reputation: 31
AFAIK you must not use the IP in
Code:
smbclient -L //10.192.212.154 -U myUsername
use the computer's name.

Second thing: Have you enabled encrypted passwords? If so, have you set the passwords with smbpasswd?

Old 11-22-2003, 05:11 PM   #6
everythingand2

Original Poster
You should be able to use the IP, in fact the IP is usually more reliable than an actual DNS name. I'll try the actual computer name but I don't think it will make a difference.

I do have password encryption on. What does smbpasswd set? Does it set the passwords to connect to the Windows boxes or does it set the passwords to connect to Samba? The username that's entered in the command line...is that the Windows username or the Samba username?

It seems like I'm possibly connecting to the Windows box but it's not authenticating. Although smbclient doesn't return anything for the IP address I've used. Any suggestions?

- Brad

Old 11-22-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
wldkos

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2 =<3 and Red Hat 8.0 (server)

try changing hte passwords so they are same, and make sure the username is the exact same too. Think of it logging in to that machine basically. If you do not have the same passwors, it wont let you in. I think there is a way to have different passwords, but I had no need for it so I am not 100% sure.

Also, use swat to setup your shares and permissions. After that

try editing your /etc/hosts file so you can give the computer a name, same reliability as using the ip, but shorter and easier.

should look like this :

127.0.0.1 localhost (don't touch that!)
192.168.1.x servername

and there is a space after the Ip and the name,

then depending on which winOS you are using, C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (for winXp)

Old 01-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
H2O-linux

Distribution: debian testing

Not secure but good enough to grab files when needed from XP box:

Control panel
Computer management
Local Users and groups
Users
Click on guest and make sure it is enabled (disable when done)

type this in your web browser on slack box
lan://localhost/19x.16x.x.xxx
(replace the above ip with your XP boxes ip)

you should see smb folder wich will let you access shared documents on your XP machine.