LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
eddie2go
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSe Linux 7.3

Rep: Reputation: 0
What modem for SuSe 7.3

I've figured out my modem just ain't gonna cut it. It's a Creative ModemBlaster Flash56 PCI and it's a softmodem. So now I have to invest in a new modem. Now, before I go out there and start tossing Euros around like Daddywarbucks and find out the one I get is a piece of s**t, does anyone have any suggestions?

I would like to hear from other SuSe 7.3 users, but anyone can pipe in with their own 2 cents.

Please state the market name of the product (like above with the Creative modem) rather than just the card's chipset or whatnots. I might have to order the modem thru an online service as I live in Germany and if you live in America or elsewhere the product names are sometimes different, sometimes not even available outside of your country.

Thanx in advance

Eddie2go

Old 09-22-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
MasterC
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo ; LFS ; Kubuntu ; CentOS ; Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 69
Moving to Linux - Hardware

Cool

Old 09-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
fatgod

Distribution: Suse 7.2, Gentoo 1.4, Solaris 9

Rep: Reputation: 30
Here's a tip, phone up your ISP and ask them what type of modems they are using.

Modems like to talk to other modems that are of the same make You will get the best compession between two identical modems and often really crap to non-existant compression between different modems.

But if they just tell you "Uhhh... All different ones" then I suggest a US Robotics. I always liked them

Oh, BTW, you sound definate that your modem wont work, but I was wondering what the chipset is anyway did you take a look at the database here at all?

http://65.70.147.202:8080/gromitkc/pci_list.html

Some PCI Creative ModemBlasters have linux drivers available... Just a thought

Old 09-23-2003, 02:22 AM   #4
eddie2go
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hey fatgod, (interesting name, which one? )

Well I've got a problem with that. . . see I live in Germany and use a type of annonymous logon with a program called SmartSurfer. You have to understand that Germany doesn't have the Unlimited Internet that others do, unless you use something like T-Online (German gov't run Phone company). And that's reeeeeal expensive. The other option is by-call connection thru small ISP's. And each one charges differently depending on time of day, day of the week, phase of the moon, whether the wife is having PMS, whatever. What SmartSurfer does is determines the cost-per-minute charges and gives you a list of possibles. So each time I go online it could be with a different ISP. No telling who.

So that's why I want some feedback on modems that have worked for others and their Linux box.

As far as Creative goes their website states emphatically that they don't do Linux. They direct you to an Open Source website that I wasn't able to figure out how to d/l a driver. But then again, I don't even know how to install a driver yet. . . but that's on the list of things to learn.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:37 AM   #5
fatgod

Hey,

fatgod is actually the name of a little known, but entremely wicked english beer

So long as you get an external modem, it will work. USR are a cool brand, but there are many others. I've heard that Rockwell are good too. I;ve always prefered external modems. you can switch them off (to hang the other guys MS-DOS box - heh heh, oh the memories!) They have pretty lights that show you whats going on, they dont need a seperate IRQ, and you dont have to decide what other cards can run on the same bus channel.

You really need to know the chipset on your modem in order to determine if it's supported or not. take a look at all the links for "Creative ModemBlaster" on that page I posted. You can find out the chipset via the model number too, I think it will be D-somthing. Some of the links even have pictures of what the card should look like!

Old 09-23-2003, 03:29 AM   #6
eddie2go
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Well, I've checked the site fatgod. It seems that Conexant has a driver. . . I would have to buy it. Typisch.

Old 09-23-2003, 03:45 AM   #7
fatgod

bummer.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:43 AM   #8
eddie2go
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Went over to Linuxant and checked out the price for the modem driver they offer: $15.00. Now tell me something? Why should I pay $15 for a driver that *might* work for my modem and Linux, when I can buy a new external modem in the $25 price range? Not a clue.

Old 09-23-2003, 05:36 AM   #9
fatgod

I've no idea either. sounds like a rip-off to me. Your better off with an external modem anyway IMHO.

Old 09-23-2003, 12:39 PM   #10
codec

Distribution: ubuntu 5.04 knoppix Slack91/10 freebsd51 vector4 redhat9

Get the conexants free drivers first, run the config (hsfconfig?) then you can connect with the HSF modem at crap speed (14k).

Maybe it's not a bad idea to buy the driver. My friend has a conceptronic modem, in windows it's a crap 28k but the linux driver has V.92 support and connect at 56k.

Last edited by codec; 09-23-2003 at 04:53 PM.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #11
itsjustme

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Smoothwall

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally posted by eddie2go
when I can buy a new external modem in the $25 price range? Not a clue.
Spend a little more and get a good modem. I have this one:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0025404

Works great. No special driver to get and install. Smoothwall just used it.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #12
eddie2go
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanx itsjustme, that's what I'm looking for: brands that work with Linux.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:51 AM   #13
aaa
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slack 10.1

I got this actiontec modem from micro center for $50. Any external *serial* (not usb) modem should work, without anything special.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:19 PM   #14
eddie2go
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
aaa wrote:
"Any external *serial* (not usb) modem should work". . .

is there something I should be aware of if I were to buy an USB ext. modem? I've got a hub, so that might be pretty easy to plug it up, but what about running it?

Old 09-28-2003, 05:18 PM   #15
itsjustme

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Smoothwall

I haven't had any luck with USB devices in Linux. But, then, I haven't yet had a chance to put a lot of effort into it either.
Save yourself some headaches and go with the serial modem. The port's just sittin' there waitin' for it anyway.