LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2002, 05:56 PM   #16
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 72

Sorry about the long wait on reply, I hit the road for the holidays and haven't been able to do much more than check mail for a couple days.

I pattered around a bit but didn't find any more than you have already. I really don't understand by this point why this doesn't work.

DRI is only ever 1 line in a file... so it really can't be the config... maybe the ATI hackers working on DRI for XFree just can't nail that one card down. I dunno...

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 02-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #17
sfenders
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I had a similar problem with my new laptop. X would crash hard when DRI was loaded.

The latest Mandrake cooker kernel RPM of 2.4.21pre4 works for me. According to the changelog, they merged in some drm patches.

I'm running the XF86 that came with Mandrake 9.1beta2.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #18
SoulSe

Distribution: Gentoo, Mandrake, Arch

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Ok, so I have literally tried EVERYTHING since this started.

But today I got hold of Mandrake 9.1 (Bamboo) and installed it - problem solved!

I think a mixture of XFree 4.3 and the best Linux distro I have ever seen cured the problem.... hey, it only took six months

Big thanx to you, finegan - everyone else ran off, crying.

Old 03-31-2003, 06:45 PM   #19
drphibes

I can explain the problem with ATI Radeon-series cards and XFree 4.3.0. The stock 2.4.20 kernel drm is version 1.1.1. The XFree 4.3.0 DRI Radeon libraries require drm 1.3.x and higher to operate properly. If you are having problems loading dri and are not getting any hardware acceleration with your Radeon under stock 2.4.20 and Xfree 4.3.0, first verify the problem:

export LIBGL_DEBUG="verbose"

in a terminal window using X. Next, crank up gears:

glxgears -info

You will see a message to this effect in the window:

[Radeon DRI was expecting DRM version 1.3.x and higher, but only 1.1.1]

To fix the problem, you need to do the following: Obtain the drm-trunk portion of the XFree 4.3.0 source code. You can either download the entire XF source (unnecessary), or, you can find the drm-trunk section separately. Here's one place:

http://cvs.gentoo.org/~gerk/distfiles/drm-trunk.tar.gz

So what is this thing anyway? It is the kernel drm you need to run Radeon dri under XF 4.3.0. Unpack the tarball and do this:

make -f Makefile.linux radeon.o

Now recompile your kernel by first setting DRM/Radeon support to M for modular (not built-in). You will find after your modules are built this file:

/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/char/drm/radeon.o

That radeon.o file should be replaced with the one you compiled separately from the newer drm-trunk above. Finally, just add /sbin/modprobe radeon to you rc.modules and you are all set --- the kernel drm is ready for the XF 4.3.0 Radeon dri libraries adn you will have your hardware acceleration back.

Kernel patches that bring the drm up to snuff are out there, but this is the way to do it without patching -- Hopefully they will fold the new drm into the stable kernels soon......

drphibes

Old 04-02-2003, 07:25 AM   #20
wildtiger23
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

I need this file.

Your link dosen't work anymore.

Old 04-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #21
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
Re: I need this file.

Quote:
Originally posted by wildtiger23
Your link dosen't work anymore.
However, Google does ;)

Cheers,
Tink

Old 04-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #22
drphibes

Find a mirror for the XFree86 4.3.0 source code. There are millions of them. Download the compressed tarball X430src-3.tgz. Decompress and extract the files.

cd ./xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/

which is the aforementioned drm-trunk for linux.

make -f Makefile.linux radeon.o

Use this radeon.o as a substitute for the radeon.o module built under 2.4.20 (just copy over it after you make modules_install).

That's it.

drphibes