LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
AxeZ

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 32
Firefox is in current!!!

..downloading it right now.

edit: and thunderbird..

Last edited by AxeZ; 03-08-2005 at 10:21 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 77
Mmm, thats an interesting move. At least in the future, I won't have to manually install Firefox and Thunderbird.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
BrianW

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
What I find even more interesting is that Mozilla has been removed. Wonder what the reasoning is to remove it instead of moving it into extra?

Old 03-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
reddazz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 77
I don't think Mozilla will be in Fedora Core either, its been deprecated in favour of Firefox. It would have been a good idea to have it in extras for those that prefer using the entire Mozilla suite.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
xushi

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 45
I wonder how one would be able to use gaim's msn now that mozilla is removed.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
keefaz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
How does gaim depend on mozilla ? Is it for the open url in browser functions ?

Old 03-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #7
coffeedrinker

Rep: Reputation: 30
Losing Mozilla is very sad. I personally like to be able to change settings on my browser. Firefox forces you to about:config for almost everything.

I also use Mozilla for my email. Nice to have one program to install, run, configure, etc. Simpler for my wife too. Bother.

Will have to do what I did before Slack's Mozilla had nice font support. Go get it from somewhere else.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
cathectic

Distribution: Slackware64

Rep: Reputation: 35
Firefox + Gaim (without Mozilla) Mini HowTo

I've been mucking about with Gaim, and it's actually quite easy to get it to work without Mozilla. Firefox has the necessary libraries, so it just needs to use those.

As root, add
Code:
/usr/lib/firefox
to /etc/ld.so.conf, run ldconfig and you're sorted.

(You can also muck about with symlinks if you want to, this page has the files you'll need to symlink from /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.1 that need to be in /usr/lib: http://mariner.cs.ucdavis.edu/slackw...ut-mozilla.txt

Be aware that Gaim doesn't like you symlinking to /usr/lib/firefox, as the linking depth is too deep for it's liking)

I've emailed Pat with these solutions, so it's up to him to decide which the best one is.

Edit

To answer Keefaz, Gaim needs the SSL libraries from Mozilla to connect to MSN (unless you build the SSL with various other libraries instead). As I say in the post, Firefox has these, you just need to point the library linker in the right direction

Last edited by cathectic; 03-08-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
amwink

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04

Rep: Reputation: 15
I've been using Mozilla since version 1.0. I use it in almost all its features. It will be an irreparable loss if the next version of Slack became "Mozilla-less". I think Firefox is an excellent browser, but Mozilla has more features, and usually you don't need to dive in those complicated settings of about:config if you need some particular tuning.

I probably won't change my Mozilla in favour of FFox, but I recommend the FFox for all my blind friends who still live in the Internet Explorer's world.

Last edited by amwink; 03-08-2005 at 10:35 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #10
gargamel

Distribution: Slackware, OpenSuSE

Rep: Reputation: 242Reputation: 242Reputation: 242
I think it's a logical move to replace Mozilla with the individual applications. However, I wish, that Pat will add the missing individual apps, too: Composer, Calendar (Sunbird), DOM inspector and the debugging tools.

Yes, I use the Calendar and Composer!

But I agree that the configuration of the Mozilla suite was easier.

With one exception, though: In recent versions I was unable to configure Mozilla to look for mail in my local mail queue fed by fetchmail. In Thunderbird there's a strange wording for this: They call it a "movemail" account. But it's there, at least. It used to be possible in older Mozilla suite versions, but not in 1.7.5.

gargamel

Old 03-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
keefaz
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
For my part, I use mozilla for 2 year or so, I could not leave it for another browser.
I tried Opera, Konqueror, Firefox ...all seem toys to me compared to mozilla, I mean
doing serious stuff like get some docs, login to a business account.

What I like with mozilla is the focus is in web page content, not in the eye candy toolbars.

Last edited by keefaz; 03-08-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #12
slakmagik

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I knew this was coming but it's still a little shocking to have it actually come to pass. I've been using mozilla from 1.0, also, and I'm not going to stop 'til they pry it from my cold dead hands. If they do take it away, I'm switching to w3m. Screw it.

But, while I expected it, he definitely dismissed without any ceremony - not even a so long and thanks for all the fish in the changelog, and no /extra or /pasture or anything.

No offense to firefox fanatics, but I really *loathe* that browser.

Find it interesting Pat's slapping in the official binaries too - I guess that *would* make maintenance easier. But why not slap in the moz binaries if that's all you're going to do? And why get excited when you could slap in Firefox binaries before? The only difference is an entry in /var/log/packages.

Somehow, even apart from Slackware specifically, with OOo and Firefox and the like, I ain't really feeling the wide open spaces of the promised land of open source 'choice' these days.

Ah well - it's all a pipe dream anyway, and nice while it lasts. When my choice is Microsoft, Sun, Apple, and Red Hat, I'm dropping off the net and going back to DOS 6.22.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #13
tank728

Rep: Reputation: 17
I think it is great that firefox is now here, but I am wondering
why Pat chose to use the official mozilla build (i686), and
not build his own?

As for mozilla being remove or put to /pasture or, /extra
it is a little early to speculate, but I have never been
partial to mozilla, it always took to long. In every aspect,
startup, web page to web page.

-tank

Old 03-08-2005, 07:30 PM   #14
shepper

Distribution: OpenBSD, Debian Wheezy/Jessie

Rep: Reputation: 33
This also blows away the Galeon/Ephiphany Browsers in the current Gnome build. Pat seems to be in a ¨remove"mode so I suspect gnome is on the block.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #15
rovitotv

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
This makes me very happy! I use firefox and prefer it to Mozilla. Don't fret Moz fans you can always just install the binaries (that is what firefox fans have been doing). Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if Slack just included a solid foundation (gcc, glibc, kernel, and X) everything else was user installed and not part of Slack. Maybe user packages could be provided at Linuxpackages.net this would make Pat's life easier and people could install what they wanted easily.