LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
student04

Distribution: macOS, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 34

There are a few more steps than that, actually. First you need to make sure that you have the kernel source code installed on your system, and make your computer boot up into command prompt by default so that it does not load the X server before the installation is finished - you need to edit the configuration file to take advantage of the new driver. Then you install the driver, and modify the config file, reboot. Check to see if it works correctly by using the command "startx", and if it does you should see an Nvidia logo appear across the entire screen for a second, then it should load X and KDE or GNOME. If all goes well, edit another file to tell your computer to automatically boot into graphical everytime. The exact steps are in the ReadMe so i'll see if i can make them easier to follow (cut&paste a little, and reword).

Last edited by student04; 01-17-2005 at 09:40 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #17
Malhovic
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
How do I do all of this? Especially making sure that I have the kernel source code installed? I installed all of the packages at the mandrake install except the hosting stuff (FTP, Web, etc). And then how do you edit the config file to take advantage of the driver? I figure that I will just use "xorgconfig" to edit the config file and make everything work. Sorry I am such a !

Old 01-17-2005, 10:20 AM   #18
student04

Basically it'll be like this, to start out. I'll use // for commenting the commands.

Code:
# uname -r // this displays kernel version
# urpmi --fuzzy kernel-source //fuzzy searches for packages
// if you don't see your version listed, or any at all, then
// check to see if you have it installed already with the next line
# rpm -qa | grep kernel-source
// If nothing shows up, continue with the next line
# urpmi kernel-source<version>
//make <version> the same as from uname and what the second command finds

// finally edit this file....
# vi /etc/inittab
You're in vi, a can-be complicated commandline text editor. You'll look at the top of the file for this
Quote:
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by Mandrakelinux are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:
Make that 5 (or whatever you have) into a 3, by pressing the following keys after you put the cursor over that number:
<Insert>
<Delete>
<3>
<Esc>
<:>
<w>
<q>
<Enter>
(pretty noobish )

Then you reboot so that it does that
Code:
# shutdown -r now
BACKUP the X configuration file FIRST!
Code:
# cp /etc/X11/Xorg.conf /etc/X11/Xorg_BACKUP
Edit the X configuration file (/etc/X11/Xorg.conf i think):
Code:
# vi /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
Press <Insert> to edit...
Quote:
From LQ.org Tutorial: Mandrake 9.1 NVIDIA driver install for newbies
You will need to look for and change this part 'Section "Device"'. It's about half way down the file. You will need to change 'Driver "nv"' to 'Driver "nvidia"'. This will load the drivers when 'x' starts. Now look for the part 'Section "Module"'. It's pretty close to the top. Look for a line that says 'Load "dri"' and 'Load "GLcore"'. If you have these lines put a '#' in front of them. The system will then ignore those commands. I don't like deleting, if you have to switch back this will make it easier. Now, in the same section look for a command 'Load "glx"'. It should already be there but make sure it is. It needs to be there. Don't delete it. You have now got your XF86Config-4 file ready.
When you're done with that, do
<Esc>
<:>
<w>
<q>
<Enter>

Next download the driver, say into your ~/tmp
Code:
# wget -c http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...-6629-pkg1.run
# chmod u+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run //make it executable
# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run //execute it
Quote:
From LQ.org Tutorial: Mandrake 9.1 NVIDIA driver install for newbies
You should get a screen that says loading, then accept the agreement etc. Use the arrow keys to change your selection. No mouse here, sorry. Just let it walk you through. When it gets done with the install, you will be back at the prompt. If you get a error write it down and skip to the shutdown part or edit the XF86Config-4 file back to the way it was and type 'startx'. If you get no errors, type in 'exit'. You will be back at the login and will take you out of root. Login in as a regular user, mine for example would be 'dale' then type in your password. When you get the prompt, type in 'startx' and hit enter. 'x' should start. If it works you will see a white screen with a graphic and 'NVIDIA' in the middle. If you have this, the install was sucessful.
If you don't get this something went wrong. You will get a error message when 'x' shuts down. The important part will start with (EE). Write this info down and see if you can find a post that will help you diagnose the problem. If you can't find the error and need help, post with the subject "Mandrake 9.1 NVIDIA" and some of the error message. Put the entire error in the post. Someone will have run into and fixed or will know what the error means and how to fix.

If you have a error, you will need to change the XF86Config-4 file back like it was. You can do a 'cd ..' until you get to root, '/', then type in 'cd etc', then 'vi XF86Config-4'. This will let you edit the file back to the way it was. The really important part is to change 'nvidia' to 'nv' like it was. Hope you have the 'vi' info handy. It's a bit tricky for a newbie but I survived with out much damage. Just change the file back and save and exit the editor. When you get back to the prompt, type in 'startx' and it should get you back into the GUI with the old set of drivers. If you had rather just reboot into windows to get help you can type in 'shutdown -r now'. This will reboot your system and you will have the option to get windows as usual when it restarts.
If you do get into a GUI and see your mouse, and the Nvidia logo, congratulations. Just edit the /etc/inittab file back, putting the 5 there again. Just follow the steps as above, when you did it the first time.

I'll add: to get out of X (derek said "type exit" but you can't type that in X...) press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Backspace> but note that this is the "ungraceful" way to exit X.

I believe that is all.

Last edited by student04; 01-18-2005 at 08:33 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #19
Malhovic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
You are the shiz student04. Thank you so much for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated, I will go home, print this out, and then perform it, THANK YOU!!! You definately went into mode for me and it is greatly appreciated! Thank you again!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #20
student04

Aw, you put me in your signature.. I feel honored . It really wasn't that much of an effort...

Though we should see if this worked correctly, first, or ? ooo i can't wait... installing the driver allows you to play games and view the cool 3D screen savers!!

Lemme know how it goes when you get back.

Last edited by student04; 01-17-2005 at 10:38 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #21
Malhovic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I will definately let you know how it goes, remember, I have to go home first, I am at work. And you definately deserve the credit. You walked me through this entire process!

Old 01-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #22
Malhovic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
OK, it didn't work completely. I can tell that it is trying, but I get these error messages on the command line and I followed your instructions to the T.

Here are the error messages that I get:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): ***Aborting***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Those are the errors that I am getting. Is there something to do in which will fix this? I am using Mandrake 10.1 just so that you know.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #23
student04

At which point did you see those messages? What were you doing? And which of the X server configuration files do you have?

Last edited by student04; 01-17-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #24
Malhovic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I type startx, it begins to pull up the x server, screen goes blank, and then comes back in the command prompt with the errors. That is when it comes up. No graphics just a black screen. And I have the xorg file!

Old 01-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #25
Malhovic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I take it that the configuration files are messed up. I don't quite know what it could be, my only guess is that the tutorial was for Mandrake 9.1 instead of 10.1 and maybe 10.1 has something new in it that 9.1 does not??? I don't know this is frustrating since I like triple checked to make sure that everything was done to the way that you described Alex.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:11 AM   #26
student04

Just to make sure of everything... anywhere in the process, did you encounter any errors? For example during the installation of the driver?

can you post the xorg file? and /var/log/xorg.0.log?

Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #27
jkassemi

Distribution: slackware-current, slamd64-11

Quote:
Originally posted by student04
Don't start with slackware until you have a firm grasp on the basics of a linux system, and that could be a while. To learn, you need to start off easy, and make the transition as smooth as possible.
Okay... just a quick comment on that statement. I think it really depends on the purpose for the installation. If you have a goal in mind and really need to learn linux pretty quick, I think slackware's the best distro. I've learned more with slackware in the past three weeks than I have with Fedora and Mandrake in the past two years. It forces you to figure out what's going on and to do your research. For instance, all the RPMs available for the larger distributions really force you to rely on somebody else having compiled the software for your use, and not how to compile it yourself. And then, on some of those occasions where you run into a file you have to compile, you just get instructions on how to do it, never an explanation of what's actually going on.

For those reading this thread, who have the extra time and the motivation to actually learn something well as fast as possible, go with Slackware.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #28
student04

Ok, i agree with you there. When i wrote that i was thinking about those that aren't as quick and have no real background knowledge at all, and would like to take it slowly... that's how it was for me, and how i wanted to approach it.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #29
student04

The only thing that is different between 9.1 and 10.1 that i can think of that may have any effect here is the fact that 9.1 uses XF86Config-4 and 10.1 uses Xorg.conf. However I read from the README file on nvidia's site, and i'll quote what they say about it:

Quote:
From the Nvidia README

(sec-03) EDITING YOUR X CONFIG FILE

In April of 2004, the X.org Foundation released an X server based on
the XFree86 X server. Many Linux distributions will use the X.org
X server in the future, rather than XFree86. The differences between
the two X servers should have no impact on NVIDIA Linux users with
two exceptions:

1) The X.org configuration file name, though it uses the same syntax
as XFree86's XF86Config file, is called /etc/X11/xorg.conf;
this README refers generically to these configuration files as
"the X config file".

2) The X.org log file, though its output is nearly identical
to the XFree86.0.log file, is called /var/log/Xorg.0.log; this
README refers generically to these files as "the X log file".
Their installer has a kernel interface which allows the driver to "talk" to the kernel. It is different for each kernel, and might not be supported for the newest, but i could be wrong. It says that if a binary one is not found, the installer compiles one with information from the kernel source, which you provided.

So i would agree with you so far that it would be a configuration file mistake (which is why i would like to take a peek at it, as well as the log file for it). Though it could be something else... maybe other people could provide their input if they have any?

Also, are you sure when you opened the X configuration file, you typed its correct name (Xorg.conf) and not 'xorg' because i don't have Xorg on my computer and wasn't sure of the exact name (i updated the post to match it).

Last edited by student04; 01-18-2005 at 08:36 AM.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #30
Malhovic
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
OK I used the Xorg.conf file that is located in the /etc/X11/ location. I don't know how to copy and paste the information to the web so that I can show you so I printed out the log file and I will type EXACTLY what it says at the bottom after is start to set the screens:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA (0) : Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA (0) : RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA (0) : Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA (0) : Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) NVIDIA (0) : Linear framebuffer at 0xD0000000
(--) NVIDIA (0) : MMIO registers at 0xE4000000
(EE) NVIDIA (0) : Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA (0) : ***Aborting***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the X.Org Foundation support

at http://wiki.X.Org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional help.

That is esactly what it says (I did a hardcopy command from the log file to get that out of it). I hope that helps, I am at work so I can't get you my Xorg.conf file for now, but I hope that helps somewhat.

Last edited by Malhovic; 01-18-2005 at 09:37 AM.