LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2004, 04:33 AM   #1
nemesix
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
configuring ADSL connection with USB Modem

Hi, I am using MDK 10.0 and am trying to install An Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem for using my ADSL connection. I have to use an IP address that has been given to me, i.e. manual TCP/IP, but when I select the manual TCP/IP option in the Mandrake Configuration wizard, it doesn't ask for an IP address at any stage. When I complete the stages, It says the connection has been set up but obviously there is no connection, as it has not asked for any IP address. Could anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Old 12-19-2004, 04:46 AM   #2

Arrow Try Network Configuration

Why don't you try in the "Network Configuration" in System Settings. When you edit your device, you could set a manual IP address, subnet mask and default gateway as well...

Old 01-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
ahmetgurel
LQ Newbie

Nemesix: I can help you if you contact me by elisha.c@gmail.com or by using msn: sofihfy@hotmail.com

Note: I'm using an alcatel speedtouch usb modem, too and currently typing this message on mandrake 10.1.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Proud

Distribution: Used to use Mandrake/Mandriva

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Ok, I've got my silver (revision 4) Speedtouch 330 working with Mandrake 9.2-10.1 though atm it's more of using a few commands than a nice gui button but it suits me.

Firstly install the pppd, bc and pppoatm packages via the Mandrake Control Center.

Then try the speedtouchconf script found here:
http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net/

Basically every time you plug in your modem you want the following command to be run:
modem_run -m -f /path/to/mgmt.o

I've found various problems with things related to this:
The speedtch driver in the kernel never seems to run this command for me, so I modprobe -r speedtch after plugging the modem in to stop the driver.
The mgmt.o fireware might be split into the boot code and other, in which case you can use -a path/to/boot_portion or just append both together into one file.
You can use -v 2 to get details feedback from modem_run as to why it's failing.
Most of these modem_run options can be used via the various speedtouch and speedtouchconf scripts.

And to connect you issue pppd call adsl
To disconnect kill the process id from cat /var/run/ppp0.pid

Use a seperate console running tail -f /var/log/messages to see the drivers load, fireware update and connection establish.