LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > JDS
User Name
Password
JDS This forum is for the discussion of the Sun Java Desktop System.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 AM   #46
swhiser
JDSHelp Founder

Distribution: JDS, NetBSD, SuSE 9.x, Morphix

Rep: Reputation: 15
JDS on notebooks

People have asked in several places about JDS on notebook or laptop PC's.

I run it all day on my alternative IBM ThinkPad (PIII, 256MB RAM). WiFi card was tricky but solved happily by Linuxant's DriverLoader. And Winmodem drivere for dial-up connection is difficult (I avoid it). Apart from these
2 issues, I have had smooth sailing and rely on it everyday when I'm not at my main workstation. Also, it has given over a dozen live presentations without Murphy's Law kicking in.

And I have Windows XP on there if I need to demonstrate something like transferring address book contacts, or clipping screenshots.

So I've been dual booting JDS successfully on the -Pad. Recommended.

Don't forget that you can get Crossover Office for about $40 to emulate Windows on JDS and have your workers access certain Windows apps to which you already have licenses on JDS itself.

Kindly, let me know if further detail is useful.

-Sam

Old 11-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #47
Adler

Distribution: Debian Jessie

Rep: Reputation: 18
swhiser,

Good post - those questions were in the back of my mind already. I have both the Linuxant DriverLoader and Crossover Office on my Sony Laptop.

When you run dual boot is like the old OS2 Warp set-up or the LILO Linux type?

Old 11-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #48
swhiser
JDSHelp Founder

LiLO-like. It's actually GRUB, now.
-Sam

Old 11-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #49
halo14

Distribution: Debian | CentOS | Arch

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 45
Good to hear...

I still didn't get the answer I was looking for about the Wal-Mart PCs.. (If I missed it I appologize)

When you buy the PCs with JDS pre-installed from Wal-Mart, do you also get the Full version installation discs for JDS as well??

Old 11-02-2004, 01:16 PM   #50
swhiser
JDSHelp Founder

Answer - no CD's in Microtel pack, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by halo14
Thanks for the update.

I have seen those PCs at Wal-Mart, and was considering purchasing one or two fro my office. Do these come with the JDS discs and a membership than? Because I would like to purchase them for my an office I am the System Admin for, but they would then be reformatted with XP (I can't make the decision to switch to linux, though I'm getting close)

But if I could then have the discs to insall on something else, like my notebook.. I would definitely get one.. perhaps two...

Checking with Sun...

-CD's NOT included in the Microtel pack
-documentation is included pointing you to a serial number for upgrades
-license for 1 year of upgrades is included
-that would include r3 for free if its release falls within 1 year of your purchase

Your option would be to buy a similar Microtel (or other) box without an OS...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A41937%3A86798
...and buy JDS for $50 at Sun Store. This would make sense since the JDS license permits you to install it 5 ways, and any permutaion could be Windows dual-boots if you wish.

-Sam

Old 11-02-2004, 01:20 PM   #51
halo14

Original Poster
okay thanks... i won't be buying one of those than..

I don't understand why they would not include the discs... what are you supposed to do if you need/want to re-install... because you cannot download the ISOs online....

Old 11-02-2004, 01:41 PM   #52
swhiser
JDSHelp Founder

It's a way for Sun to save cash and W-M to preserve margin. From the companies' perspectives, it makes things awefully easy to do batch installs on multiple machines and save the cost of the CD packets. It's one reason we are looking at PC's starting at $188.

It's not too difficult to revive 3 discarded whiteboxes (I could settle for PIII, 256 RAM) and buy JDS separately for less than $188, all in. It just depends on the value of one's time.

-Sam

Old 11-02-2004, 02:33 PM   #53
halo14

Original Poster
makes sense i suppose..

Old 11-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #54
Joseph_M

Quote:
Originally posted by swhiser
Joseph_M

I suggest you take your flame-bate to a different forum.

-Sam Hiser
Because I don't think Sun is not going to last much longer, and back it up with hard data, that's flame-bait??? And because I think JDS is just a bunch of eye candy that's flame-bait?? Oh I get it everybody that doesn't see the world like you want must be flame-baiting. And by the way you need to learn how to use a spell checker also. The word bate means to lessen as in abate. To drawout or entice is bait as in "I used good bait to catch the fish."

If you don't agree with what I am saying back up your opinions with facts!!!! Your Ad Hominem attack does nothing to improve your standing. Other then to make me think that Sun has a bunch of employees working this forum to drum up business. You do work for Sun don't you? All I had to do was a google search on your name and lots of hits with you and Sun came up. Maybe you should look for another job soon.

And if you don't know what Ad Hominem means look it up.

Last edited by Joseph_M; 11-02-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:08 PM   #55
halo14

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph_M
Because I don't think Sun is not going to last much longer
Talk about using spell checker?? You illiterate fool.. Don't ever whine about someone misspelling a word when you sit there and use double negatives..

I think you are freaking fool if you don't think Sun will be around for a long, long time to come. And since none of us are psychic, i suggest you leave it that. Your assumptions and so-called evidence mean nothing here. This is meant to be a support forum, not a whiny rant forum.

EDIT: And what, do you think your cool for using Latin in your previous post? lol.. "If you don't know what it means look it up" What are you like in 10th grade or something? (Yes, swhiser is somewhat biased, and should be promoting the JDS product. I, however have no affiliation with Sun, and I am also promoting it. Man, you sound like you work for M$ or something)

Again, if you wish to continue this mindless discussion about how you think Sun is going out of business.. start up a threadin general. Until then, quit hijacking my thread. Perhaps you should read the LQ rules.

I think any mod can close this thread now. Unless swhiser has anything to add?

Last edited by halo14; 11-02-2004 at 04:13 PM.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #56
swhiser
JDSHelp Founder

JDS on notebooks / laptops

Joshep_M-

You were talking about Sun's stock. This is a forum for JDS; this thread was about JDS on notebooks / laptops. Please take that conversation to the appropriate place.

-Sam

Last edited by swhiser; 11-02-2004 at 04:33 PM.

Old 11-02-2004, 06:21 PM   #57
Joseph_M

Re: JDS on notebooks / laptops

Quote:
Originally posted by swhiser
Joshep_M-

You were talking about Sun's stock. This is a forum for JDS; this thread was about JDS on notebooks / laptops. Please take that conversation to the appropriate place.

-Sam
That's not exactly true. I first said that I thought Sun was going down the tubes and JDS was a last gasp attempt to stay afloat. Then halo14 told me that "I should do my home work" before I say that Sun is setting. To backup what I said, and still believe, I put a link to show how Sun's stock has hit rock bottom for the last few years. Also this thread is not about JDS on laptops. The first post on this thread is " Is JDS a free distro? Where to get it?" How did you get the idea it was about laptops??? Or are you trying to divert attention from your financial stake in Sun and JDS??

My opinion about JDS comes from my use of JDS. I had one of the demo disks and thought it sucked. That is a valid opinion on the JDS forum. This forum are not a place were employees of Sun can have the only say.

As for halo14 he is now so flipped out that someone doesn't agree with him he is searching for all my posts on any of these forums so he can attack me there.

And halo14 just so you know when you say something like "you sound like you work for M$ or something" that is an Ad Hominem attack. Yes it comes from the Latin but it is the proper name for a type of fallacy. The Ad Hominem fallacy is when a person is attacked instead of responding to what that person is saying. You didn't look it up did you halo14.

So if anybody has something to show that JDS is not just fifty bucks worth of eye candy lets hear it.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:47 PM   #58
Adler

Distribution: Debian Jessie

Rep: Reputation: 18
Joseph_M,

May I ask that we keep this Forum on track. I'm coming over from the SuSE Linux side and enjoy the learning experience.

I live in the Biotech Universe and If I want to predict the end of the known Universe I go my own type of Forum - http://www.biofind.com/rumor/. Should I want to trash management of a publicly owned company I can go to http://www.siliconinvestor.com/.

Think of it this way, free speech is fun, but we are never too old to contribute.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #59
halo14

Original Poster
I know what ad hominem is... the comment was intentional...

And I don't know why you think I was searching for your posts... I was browsing the board... I use Slackware.. hence I was in the Slackware forum.. Just because I saw a post that you made an incredibly wrong, basic computer hardware knowledge comment and corrected you.. does not mean I'm searching for your posts...

Old 11-03-2004, 07:54 AM   #60
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Anyway, moving right along. The answer to the original question has been provided so this thread is closed. Name calling and arguing in this way is discouraged from LQ - take it offline please.

Closed Thread