LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #41
kojo_chaos
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Well, on My List of Nasty things to Overcome in Linux is:

- The RPM system - the auto-installer executable of Linux - Its not such a big list, we need it farther developed, in terms of How much we can install by the click.... More! More! More!
- Linux needs to be idiot-friendly, all greatly spread OS's are idiot friendly we much join that croud, because a Happy idiot is a trouble free idiot...

Most people don't mind paying or being ilegal as long as it's simple to learn and easy to use.
We need a system that comes out of the box that needs no more nothing from no one except a user to use it...
- Like Windows - After its installed its over, no more troubles...
We need the sytem to have a great number of these easy to use auto, one click, install files...

NUMBER 2:
- The dependencies must be something the end user is not aparent of....
Linux must have the entire system working for every litle program... and every litle dependencie that if missing ruins the user experience due to failure must not fail...

If I knew of a Linux distro that has all the litle idiotic auto installers working on click basis, that recognizes my system with no bugs or very few, easily solvable bugs..... I'd Switch in a heart beat....

One Linux distro that got the idea was: "Kurumin" - A knopix based distro that had something called "Magic Icons" they downloaded, installed programs at a click, the user only had to pay atention and be able to think and read . No work was involved by the user, no open this and do that... Nothing, just Point and Click.... And puff its done! just like magic...

Actually I'd like that in Mandrake, the Install section, which would basicly be a link to the Rpm prog starting up in a specific way with certain job starting up without a problem...

NUMBER THREE: This is proly a harder one, but basicly it would be a good thing if ppl in linux were able to give an explanation as if they were talking to an infant, something like "u see tha btn? click the shiny btn.... aren't u a good boy! thats a good job..."
Maybe over simplified, but the really simple explanation for the person who only last week discored computers function with rodents, and the thing u look into isnt a computer, but a monitor...
Not just a "Noob" section, but a totaly new to computers approach....
Sorta "Have u just found a computer needs Electricity and want to learn Linux" section...

Nothing like:

"-u open ur bash, and make install, and ur done!
-Did that recompile ur kernel the right way?"

Old 04-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #42
jonaskoelker

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 47
--- the RPM system ---
I can't speak for RPM, I haven't used it. But I can speak for synaptic, which is a front end to apt, the cornerstone of Debian's package management system (don't confuse apt with the extension, `.deb'). It really is point-and-click:
(1) you click at the checkbox next to the name of the program you want to install
(2) if the program has any [pre]dependencies, it asks you if it should install those as well (you can set default to yes, iirc)
(3) click 'apply changes'
(4) it downloads
(5) it installs, possibly popping up a dialog box or two, asking you about configuration (with *good* help, imo)
(6) you're done.

or, from command line, should the user be so inclined: [sudo] apt-get install killer-app;

--- as for working out of the box ---
(mafia-style) forged-aboud-id. You *have* to do upgrades, at least for security, unless your distro was upgraded/finalized/whatever yesterday. The same thing applies for windows, only more so. Google("honeypot") for some security research. iirc, the white paper states that a freshly installed, unpatched windows could potentially be compromised in less time that it'd take to download patches on a typical-to-good home connection.

Gives you something to think about, doesn't it.

btw, I do get your point: the typical end-user Just Wants To Get The Job Done. But they probably don't know enough about security to say `no' when some intrusion detector says "would you let [IP] access Generic Windows Services?"

Quote:
the user only had to pay atention and be able to think and read
see http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...readid=310646, especially my dialog with Padma about "RTFM".

Quote:
"-u open ur bash, and make install, and ur done!
-Did that recompile ur kernel the right way?"
read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
(1) it explains why you shouldn't be surprised to get an answer like that.
(2) it explains the hacker mindset. Now, most of the people who have the knowledge and writing skills to write good documentation are probably hackers (or at least have the hacker nature). Which is why they won't write that kind of documentation.

hth --Jonas Kölke

Old 04-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #43
Padma

Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2007

Rep: Reputation: 30
Wink

Just to hit an RPM-based distro: Mandrake uses rpmdrake as a gui frontend to urpmi, its rpm-manager.

(1) you click at the checkbox next to the name of the program you want to install
(2) if the program has any [pre]dependencies, it asks you if it should install those as well
(3) click 'Install'
(4) it downloads
(5) it installs, possibly popping up a dialog box or two, asking you about configuration
(6) you're done.

Or from the command line, should the user be so inclined: su -c 'urpmi killer-app'

Sounds mighty familiar, eh?

Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #44
jonaskoelker

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 47
this just proves that you're nothing but a sed script

Old 04-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #45
Padma

Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2007

Rep: Reputation: 30
:lol:

So I'm a sed script.

I just found it interesting that two distros, using different package managers, have managed to boil down the steps necessary for installing software to essentially the same thing. And the resulting steps are no harder than a Windows application installation.