LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
BryanFRitt

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 1
automounting sshfs at boot using fstab

sshfs will work if I call sshfs directly, but if I use fstab and `mount -a`... it doesn't work.
I've added myself and root to the 'fuse' group.

in /etc/fstab
sshfs#root@192.168.2.4:/ /media/MountedDir fuse.sshfs defaults,transform_symlinks,users,exec,auto,allow_other,_netdev,delay_connect,default_permissions 0 0

from /media directory
ls -l | grep MountedDir
ls: cannot access MountedDir: Input/output error
d?????????? ? ? ? ? ? MountedDir

mount | grep /media/MountedDir
sshfs#root@192.168.2.4:/ on /media/MountedDir type fuse.sshfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,_netdev)

df -h | grep /media/MountedDir
sshfs#root@192.168.2.4:/ 1000G 0 1000G 0% /media/MountedDir

If I call `sudo mount -a` with this in /etc/fstab, using a GUI [non Ctrl+Alt+F1..F6] I get a popup asking me to input my password (has bars on the bottom that change color when I type a character) that doesn't even work if I put in the right password. It'll just popup again. Have to reboot or killall ssh sshfs [from a tty] or something like that to get rid of it.

Debian Linux 8/Jessie/Stable

Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Keith Hedger

Distribution: Void, Linux From Scratch, Slackware64

Rep: Reputation: 856Reputation: 856Reputation: 856Reputation: 856Reputation: 856Reputation: 856Reputation: 856
to start you need too set up public/privare keys so you dont use a passowrd , more importantly i dont think this is going to work as disks are mounted from the fstab at boot time before the network is up.

maybe add the commands to /etc/rc.local or whatever your system uses as a user defined start up script.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
BryanFRitt

Original Poster
I've done the
ssh-copy-id root@192.168.2.4
so I can use sshfs command without using password.

Some fstab options I've used:

_netdev
The filesystem resides on a device that requires network access (used to prevent the system from attempting to mount these filesystems until the network has been enabled on the system).

delay_connect
delay connection to server

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...etc-fstab-work

--
Just tried removing the 'delay_connect' option and it looks like that may have worked for getting things to work with `sudo mount -a`, but it didn't help with it mounting on reboot. Looks like I have to enter my password to get it to mount through fstab, eventhough I can mount it without password using the 'sshfs' command.

Last edited by BryanFRitt; 05-15-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added the works but...

Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #4
BryanFRitt

Original Poster
I found some scripts that help mount/unmount when the network goes up/down.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=430312
These scripts requires the line requires the additon of comment=sshfs to the option section of the fstab line, and in some cases maybe the GID=, and UID= options too.
(and maybe instead of sshfs# style use fuse.sshfs didn't look to into, but that seamed to have maybe helped)

Code:
root@192.168.2.4:/ /media/MountedDir fuse.sshfs comment=sshfs,defaults,transform_symlinks,users,exec,auto,allow_other,_netdev,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
Tried and it works even after reboot.

Last edited by BryanFRitt; 05-15-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added update: "Tried and it works even after reboot.", formatting

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
fstab, mount, ssh, sshfs