LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
B Akshay

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Sending email from my MS Outlook account from cygwin using exim

Hello,
How to configure my Microsoft outlook account with the exim config in cygwin environment. i have gone all help posts on the internet but not able to configure my account with it.(sort of confused what exactly to do).

My requirement is to just send the mail from the cygwin environment to our customer. My login name for the system is different from username for the outlook.

ex. for system login : LOGINNAME
for outlook : USERNAME@company.com

Please help to fix this thing.

Thanks in Advance
B Akshay

Last edited by B Akshay; 10-08-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: correction in the title

Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Akshay View Post
How to configure my Microsoft outlook account with the exim config in cygwin environment. (..) not able to configure my account with it.(sort of confused what exactly to do).
The best approach IMHO would be to be clear about what you ask (there's a discrepancy between the tread title "Sending emial to my gmail account from cygwin" and "send the mail from the cygwin environment to our customer"), ensure you use the components you should use like why Exim inside Cygwin and not your company or providers MTA? Why Outlook and not native Cygwin tools (asserting it has "mpack" or at least a "mailx" equivalent). Why not Thunderbird or some other MUA that speaks IMAPS natively? Then you divide it into tasks: configure Exim, test sending email, reconfigure Exim to send to Gmails MTA w/o being rejected, test sending email again, configure The MUA, test sending email again. The benefit of doing that is there's less chance of losing overview, makes it easier to ask specific questions and shows us that you've actually tried to make things work.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
B Akshay

Original Poster
My apologies for the thread title. its definitely for MS Outlook.

I am very new to this thing. Even the packages you mentioned are not available in the cygwin installed on my system.
will you please suggest from where to update those and its usage.

I am a lay man in this topic, so guidelines requested

Thanks

Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
B Akshay

Original Poster

I am very new to this thing. Even the packages you mentioned are not available in the cygwin installed on my system.
will you please suggest from where to update those and its usage.

I am a lay man in this topic, so guidelines requested

Thanks

Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
OK. No apologies necessary, it's your choice.

Quote:
Even the packages you mentioned are not available in the cygwin installed on my system. will you please suggest from where to update those and its usage.
You are again not particularly clear in what you ask for. Which packages? Exim is here: http://cygwin.com/packages/exim and the "mail" equivalent is here: http://cygwin.com/packages/email. What I mean is that without searching for it you can find all packages in http://cygwin.com/packages/ so you only have to search the 'net for software you need (if any) Cygwin doesn't provide.

Quote:
guidelines requested
If you break up the project into tasks like I suggested then you start with configuring Exim. Its documentation is here: http://www.exim.org/docs.html.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
B Akshay

Original Poster
Hello ,
I tried with Exim , i.e configured it. Sent some trial mails to myself & my colleague. Now the problem is we didn't got the mail and no error message from exim. i am still working on it.
can you suggest any simpler alternative to it.

Thanks for your response

Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
unSpawn

Quote:
I tried with Exim , i.e configured it. Sent some trial mails to myself & my colleague. Now the problem is we didn't got the mail and no error message from exim.
Start with Exim FAQ entries > Windows > General Debugging > Q0002 because it tells you what you should look for in terms of debugging and errors. See adjacent questions and the configuration part one level up and you've got what you should post: invocation command used, configuration file contents and log file / errors. BTW don't post unedited configuration files from either the tarball or from the Cygwin package shipped with.

Quote:
can you suggest any simpler alternative to it.
I already suggested you use your providers or companies mail server.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
B Akshay

Original Poster
Hello,
Its Working!!!!!!!
Its working fine at the moment, i didn't configured the routing part properly.
will complete the whole script and share it over here.
unSpawn, thank you for your suggestions, was very helpful.

Regards,
B Akshay

Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
B Akshay

Original Poster
I have some problem again as,

i have to send the mail through exim such that the message body/ contents of the mail are stored in a file.

like the mail option in linux how the same can be achieved using exim ?

i have tried as follows,

exim -bem filename

but nthing happened, other than the file name printed in the next line.

Thanks in advance.