LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
userme
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Virtualbox Windows 7 host and Linux guest

I have a question that I am trying to get as much detailed an answer to as possible, so if you can help, the more info... the better.

I am running Windows 7 with Virtualbox and I have a Linux guest running on it. The reason I have to do this is because the wireless network adapter I use is not compatible with Linux. I have my Linux guest setup to have it's virtual network card be bridged with the wireless card I use.

With that basic setup, I am also using Norton Internet security to protect Windows 7.

I was wondering how independent my Linux guest is on the network with the above configuration. For example, if Norton Internet Security is protecting incoming streams and I have a bridged setup, does it filter what goes to my Linux in Virtualbox. I'm actually hoping that the Linux box is NOT protected and I'm trying to make sure that all network connections that go to it are not filtered since I want to test security and anti-virus tools on my Linux guest.

The other thing that got me thinkng was the Symantec Neighborhood watch which you can select to be a part of. I have that selected for added protection, but in the Linux guest, do I have transparancy to this? In other words, can I browse on my Linux guest without being logged and filtered through the Windows security features.

For the last question, what other security considerations should I be thinking about, when I learn to use virtualization from a security standpoint.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
JaseP

Distribution: K/Ubuntu 18.04-14.04, Scientific Linux 6.3-6.4, Android-x86, Pretty much all distros at one point...

Rep: Reputation: 157Reputation: 157
Are you SURE the wireless chipset is not supported? Do you know what kind it is?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
userme
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yes, as far as I know it is not supported (It certainly does not work out of the box). Im' using a Netgear WNDA4100 - N900 adapter. It's an extremely fast adapter, but I am considering maybe a second adapter if recommended.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625
I can't guess every possible situation but for the most part linux on a VM bypasses the hosts controls unless you set a proxy in windows then point the vm to the proxy.

There has been many web pages on the security threat to the host os while using a vm. Could the host be attacked? Yes. One of a few ways would render it less than secure. One should take precautions with any OS you choose and keep as many best practices in place.

Last edited by jefro; 10-07-2012 at 09:25 PM.