LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Linux User Groups (LUG)
User Name
Password
Linux User Groups (LUG) This forum allows Linux User Groups (LUG) to gain exposure. It also allows people looking for a LUG in their area to find one.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Dodgeram01

Distribution: Gentoo and Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Utica, NY - Mohawk Valley Area

We are currently examining the possibility of starting a S/LUG in the Utica, NY / Mohawk Valley Area. What I would like to learn is if there is any existing demand for a S/LUG in the area. To my knowledge, there are not any LUGs already in existence in this area. I am surprised that there are not, as with the colleges (SUNYIT, Utica College, MVCC, Hamilton College) and Rome Labs so close, I would expect there to be at least a small number of Linux enthusiasts brewing.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
cgjones

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 31
I might be interested in joining a local LUG. There is a pretty active group in Ithaca, I'm not sure if there is anything closer.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
radiogeo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
hi,
this thread is a little old. so i hope someone sees this. I am interested in joining a users group in the utica area that does not reuire me to be a student. I am 65 yo retired amateur radio operator fairly linux savvy but behind the times due to the myriad directions computing in general has gone off in. did a LUG get started in utica ? any hams interested in starting one if there is no pre-existing one already ??
Thanks
George Smith

Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Aside from the Utica College group, the only other PC groups I could find are at: http://www.mvpcug.com/ & http://www.tcpcug.com/ I don't, however, know how close to you they are or what their stance is on Linux - probably worth getting in touch as they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
robert.wolfe
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian for Sparc, OpenSUSE 11.2, Solaris 9, Debian/x86, Ubuntu Server

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeram01 View Post
We are currently examining the possibility of starting a S/LUG in the Utica, NY / Mohawk Valley Area. What I would like to learn is if there is any existing demand for a S/LUG in the area. To my knowledge, there are not any LUGs already in existence in this area. I am surprised that there are not, as with the colleges (SUNYIT, Utica College, MVCC, Hamilton College) and Rome Labs so close, I would expect there to be at least a small number of Linux enthusiasts brewing.
I know you guys are a ways away, but there is the Western New York LUG here in Buffalo (http://www.wnylug.org) that maintains a VERY active mailing list that group members and nonmembers can read from and write to.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
vandamme
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 5
Kind of quiet here

Is there anybody else interested in a LUG in Rome or Utica?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
vandamme
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 5
Rome Linux User's group

<crickets> .................

C'mon, AFRL has a Linux supercomputer just down the street. This should be a hotbed of linux.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
wesley.dean
LQ Newbie

Distribution: OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I would be interested in joining a LUG in the Utica / Rome area..

Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
Sidicas

Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux

Rep: Reputation: 6
WOW WOW WOW!!
I'm from that area, but I'm currently living in China. It kinda freaked me out to see this thread on the front page of the forums.

Anyway, I've been using Debian for 10+ years. I'd love to help you guys out anyway I can, but I'll be in China for at least several more months.

Have you talked to anybody in the MVPCUG group? You might be able to find some interest there. That group has been around for ages and they used to operate a BBS for Mohawk Valley folks and had people from hardware and software manufs. come give talks to a crowd of 50+ people... Wow, such childhood memories..

I'd like to help, but I'm on the other side of the world at the moment. Good luck you guys and I hope everything goes well for you. I really look forward to having a Linux group in my home area.

Last edited by Sidicas; 08-08-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
paintchip
LQ Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone ever started a LUG in the Utica/Rome area. I've been searching around and I can't really find anything current. Even the Syracuse LUG page seems inactive. This thread is actually one of the first hits on google.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
KingArchie
LQ Newbie

The Syracuse LUG is very much alive. Though their site is a bit forgotten. They have monthly meetups on the first Wednesday of each month - normally at Le Moyne College. I suggest that you sign up on their mailinglist for updates and news you might find others in the Utica/Rome area from that group. I have been meaning to start going back to SyrLug meetings.. thanks for reviving this thread again and nudging me.

http://www.syrlug.org/

Old 11-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
KingArchie
LQ Newbie

So here I am reviving this thread again - sorry. I recently relocated into the Utica area and interested in meeting up with some Linux users. It looks like the LUG started by Utica college is dead/inactive... Anyone up for a cup of coffee/beer to talk Linux in the area?