LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
xlu2000

Rep: Reputation: 1
Help needed: Fedora router configure problem

I have a client at 10.0.0.2, and a router's eth1 at 10.0.0.1. In the router, net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 in file etc/sysctl.conf has been set. Both client and router are used Fedora 13.

My problem is that it cannot ping the IP(xx.xx.xx.xx) outside the router's eth0 on internet. It looks like the router hasn't been configured correctly. I tried "iptables -t..." and "service iptables stop" .

Anyone knows how to fix it correctly? Thank you.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
kaushalpatel1982

Distribution: CentOS, RHEL, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Kali Linux, Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 10
after configuring sysctl.conf, you must have run command "sysctl -p" on your router. After that check whether you able to ping router's WAN Interface IP Address? if you are able to ping it, check ping 8.8.8.8 (IP address of google dns server). if it is not successfull, You should check your iptables rule for MASQUERADE. You should have following Iptables to MASQUERADE your traffic.

#iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE ###where eth0 is your ISP side network.

Also check your client side that you must have this router machine as your default route. if you are not able to resolve google or something then check /etc/resolv.conf for DNS server.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
xlu2000

Original Poster
I did it once before as your description except command "sysctl -p". This time the client cannot ping WAN interface IP of router.

Do you know a book or website of step-by-step instruction to set up the router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalpatel1982 View Post
after configuring sysctl.conf, you must have run command "sysctl -p" on your router. After that check whether you able to ping router's WAN Interface IP Address? if you are able to ping it, check ping 8.8.8.8 (IP address of google dns server). if it is not successfull, You should check your iptables rule for MASQUERADE. You should have following Iptables to MASQUERADE your traffic.

#iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE ###where eth0 is your ISP side network.

Also check your client side that you must have this router machine as your default route. if you are not able to resolve google or something then check /etc/resolv.conf for DNS server.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
xlu2000

Original Poster
OK, just "iptables -F" reset the firewall, then put some simply rules in the iptables.

Last edited by xlu2000; 09-19-2010 at 12:20 AM.