LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
linuxisbetter2009
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Multi OS network install help needed

I have two machines to choose from to install Slackware on. The purpose for the machine is to serve files and printer services to both other Linux machines and 3 Windows machines.
First the software questions:
I would like to use Slack for this. OpenFiler and FreeNas are going to be difficult to set up printserver with. I would need to set Slackware up to automatically log in, to share an old laser printer to both Linux and Windows, and to share one folder without log in (almost like a Windows share.) My software question then is can I do this, and can anyone instruct me as to how? Also, once the install is finished, I would like to run it headless. I do have the Slackware 2nd edition book, which I am skimming, but have not thoroughly read. I have not seen anything about headless installs in it as yet.

Hardware question: I have two machines to choose from, as I said. One is a Via mini ITX with a 533 processor. It uses the Via 4-in-1 chipset. The other is an Intel 650 Pentium II with unknown ATI video card and an unknown LAN card. The network card does state 10/100 on it. They both take the same RAM and I take best guesses as to which is going to be better for Slack 11.1. Any help in achieving this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Old 03-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
guanx

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Make some modifications and the install disc will automatically bring up the ssh server:

Code:
~# mkdir initrd
~# cd initrd/
~/initrd# gzip -dc ../slackware-iso/isolinux/initrd.img | cpio -i
~/initrd# installpkg -root . ../slackware-iso/slackware/a/bash-3.1.017-i486-2.tgz
~/initrd# installpkg -root . ../slackware-iso/slackware/a/udev-135-i486-2.tgz
~/initrd# patch -p1 < ../etc.diff
~/initrd# find . | cpio -H newc -o | gzip -9c > ../slackware-iso/isolinux/initrd.img
~/initrd# cd ../slackware-iso/
~/slackware-iso# patch -p1 < ../isolinux.diff
~/slackware-iso# mkisofs -o ../slackware-dvd.iso \
>   -R -J -A "Slackware Install" \
>   -hide-rr-moved \
>   -v -d -N \
>   -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
>   -sort isolinux/iso.sort \
>   -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>   -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
>   -V "SlackDVD" .
Attached Files
File Type: txt etc.diff.txt (717 Bytes, 20 views)
File Type: txt isolinux.diff.txt (677 Bytes, 17 views)