LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
sharp859
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Lightbulb How to design a fron end to run different shell script?

Hello all,
I have some shell scripts with some options in the linux server in the home directory I need to run using the webpage in a single.

Using radio button or similar!!
I appreciate if any one can send me a sample design and how to make it run .

my email id is sharp859@gmail.com
I wonder if we can run the same webpage from windows also..

Cheers,
pravin

Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
BrianK

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 51
first off... what does "run using the webpage in a single" mean?

secondly, what language are you using or have you chosen one? What languages can you run if one isn't chosen?

running shell scripts from a web page is fairly trivial, but we at least need to know what language you're using so we can point you in the right direction.

... and it's preferred that the entire discussion take place here rather than in an email so others with the same question can learn from this answer.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
sharp859
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Regarding webpage design

Ya thanks for replying,
okay we will discuss here only.

My idea is to execute a different shells cripts of having around more than 300 lines on on average,using a webpage browser.single click means when I click particular shell name (using radio buttons may be)my script should run thats all about!!
My shell scripts will be in the linux servers

My view we can use perl-cgi or any fair suggession regarding this..

Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp859 View Post
I have some shell scripts with some options in the linux server in the home directory I need to run using the webpage in a single.
"In the home directory" means the webserver needs to be configured to run CGI scripts from there, and user the scripts should run as must be allowed to run those scripts. Also, please give example of what "some options" means here?

Quote:
I wonder if we can run the same webpage from windows also..
These scripts are run server-side, accessing them you do through the (HTML-rendered portion of) CGI script. Unless you intend to ignore standards HTML is not confined to one O.S. or browser.

Quote:
My idea is to execute a different shellscripts
If they are scripts that affect the system itself you better think trice.

Quote:
using a webpage
It'll look like a webpage but it's just part of the CGI script.

Quote:
single click means when I click particular shell name
If you can do with a flat HTML page that lists all scripts then the term "hyperlink" comes to mind ;-p
If you want input fields, tickboxes, radio buttons or drop-downs then you probably want to GET or POST data to a CGI.

Quote:
My view we can use perl-cgi or any fair suggession regarding this..
Sure, why not. Increase your Perl-fu and read something along the lines of http://www.w3.org/Security/Faq/wwwsf4.html to make sure you're following best practices.

Here's a simple example in BaSH of calling an application called "vnstat" as a CGI. Apache is configured to only accept HTTPS, accepts CGIs in /var/www/cgi-bin and the user Apache runs as is allowed to execute vnstat through an /etc/sudoers entry:
Code:
#!/bin/bash - 
# Purpose: Bash CGI for vnstat, args: QUERY_STRING, deps: Bash, GNU utils, run-from: httpd as cgi.
set -puePC; PROGNAME=${0//*\//}
function log() { /usr/bin/logger -i -p kern.err -t ${PROGNAME:="some unknown CGI"} "$@"; }
function header() { echo -en "Content-type: text/html\n\n<html><head><title>\n"; echo "Vnstat</title></head>"; }
function body() { echo "<body>"; }; function footer() { echo "</body></html>"; }
function form() { echo "<form name=\"q\" action=\"https://localhost:443/cgi-bin/vnstat.sh\" method=\"GET\">"
echo "<select name=\"q\">"
[ ${QUERY_STRING:2:1} -eq 1 ] 2>/dev/null && { selopt1="SELECTED"; }; echo "<option ${selopt1:=""} value=\"1\">Hourly</option>"
[ ${QUERY_STRING:2:1} -eq 2 ] 2>/dev/null && { selopt2="SELECTED"; }; echo "<option ${selopt2:=""} value=\"2\">Daily</option>"
[ ${QUERY_STRING:2:1} -eq 3 ] 2>/dev/null && { selopt3="SELECTED"; }; echo "<option ${selopt3:=""} value=\"3\">Weekly</option>"
[ ${QUERY_STRING:2:1} -eq 4 ] 2>/dev/null && { selopt4="SELECTED"; }; echo "<option ${selopt4:=""} value=\"4\">Monthly</option>"
[ ${QUERY_STRING:2:1} -eq 5 ] 2>/dev/null && { selopt5="SELECTED"; }; echo "<option ${selopt5:=""} value=\"5\">Top 10</option>"
echo "</select>"; echo "<input type=\"submit\">"; echo "</form>"; }
QUERY_STRING="${QUERY_STRING:0:3}"; if [ "${QUERY_STRING:0:2}" != "q=" ]; then header; body; form; footer
else case "${QUERY_STRING:2:1}" in 1) OPT="-h";; 2) OPT="-d";; 3) OPT="-w";; 4) OPT="-m";; 5) OPT="-t";; 
*) header; body; form; footer;; esac; header; body; form; echo "<pre>"; umask 027; /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/vnstat "$OPT" 2>&1 || exit 127
echo "</pre>"; footer; fi; exit 0

Old 05-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
sharp859
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Ya regarding webpage design to run shell script

Thanks,
Ya options means myshell script -t argument these argument shd be user input

I got that point about configuring the server..

can some one provide script sample or structure to invoki .sh files from that server .

~Pravin

Old 05-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Ya options means myshell script -t argument these argument shd be user input
One of the ground rules of whatever it is you're sposed to be doing is to never trust user input.

Quote:
can some one provide script sample or structure to invoki .sh files from that server .
With a little bit of understanding BaSH scripts my example would do just that. If you don't understand it I suggest you go read some scripting guides like http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html and http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginne...tml/index.html. Or if you want to do Perl, as you said previously, you'll have to find some tutorials for that. And reading http://www.w3.org/Security/Faq/ should be considered mandatory. If you're new at scripting and your handiwork would go on a publicly accessable production host with untrusted users I'd suggest you don't, but instead look for a ready-made application. Because the risk of you fscking up is just to big (as evidenced by the type of questions you ask).

Note LQ can and is willing to help you accomplish your goals. But we shouldn't be asked to do your work for you. Even if we did then without having knowledge you wouldn't know how to assess its value (or vulnerability) or fix things anyway. So please go and read, experiment, post (pseudo-)code we can comment on, but don't ask for handouts.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
sharp859
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Is there any thing related to webpage send me the doccument or link I hardly need about perl or Bash scripting links or doccument..

Thanks for details

Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
eggixyz

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hey There,

There's some pretty good advice about that here:

http://www.w3.org/Security/Faq/wwwsf3.html#SVR-Q3

Hope that helps

, Mike

Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
chrism01
LQ Guru

Distribution: Rocky 9.2

Rep: Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751Reputation: 2751
For Perl try search.cpan.org and ask for CGI.pm
There are lots of other CGI related modules