LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
trebek

Distribution: Ubuntu, gOS, Debian & Slack 12

Rep: Reputation: 30
Install kde on debian

Hello there guys.

I have just installed Debian on my Toshiba A72 laptop, and unfortunatly, it came with gnome by default. During installation, it didn't even asked me if wanted gnome or kde, so i ended up here.

My touchpad is not working right; the repository is a mess, it's got like 4 lines alone; my user is not in the sudoers file. Bottom line is, i want kde.

I read a few forums where they have installed kde, but they didn't work me. I added a few lines to my sources.list file, and apt keeps asking me to put it my installation cd.

Please help me out, i can't use my computer, all my apps are not present here. And also, keep it simple, just put the repository lines i need and the commands, and that's it.

As a note, i performed the following command i read while browsing google, see if it would do something: apt-get install kdm kde-core. I hope i haven't messed up anything.

Thanks in advance for the help.

LQ rules.

Last edited by trebek; 09-24-2007 at 02:54 AM.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
David the H.
Bash Guru

Distribution: Arch + Xfce

Rep: Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037Reputation: 2037
kde isn't going to help you with things like the sudoers file. You'll still have to set up that kind of thing yourself. Debian isn't Ubuntu after all. And the touchpad is probably a driver issue.

As for the installation problems, You probably just need to clean up your sources.list. For example, you seem to have, or have added, the cd sources into it. Unless you want to install packages from cd, then you can remove them. All you really need in /etc/apt/sources.list is one or two major repository sources and then whatever specialized sources you want, such as debian-multimedia.org.

You'll have to post your sources.list here though if you want some help getting it in order.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:52 AM   #3
Natilous

Distribution: Parsix 1.0 , Debian etch 4.0r1

Rep: Reputation: 15
for install KDE use this commands in a terminal :
(if you use INTERNET repositories connect to the INTERNET then type command)
Code:
$su
Password:<root password>
#apt-get update
#apt-get install kde
or you can use Synaptic Package Manager (in system-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager) for install KDE .
for login in KDE in login prompt go to session and select KDE then enter user and pass .

Good Luck !

Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
trebek

Original Poster
I read and browsed through google all night, and the command i posted before installed kde and mostly everything i used to have.

I'll keep reading to see if i can fix the other issues that came up.

Thanks for the help.

LQ rules.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 AM   #5
Junior Hacker

Distribution: Debian testing Mandriva Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 61
I usually just do a naked installation, only select "standard system" in tasksel during installation. Then after re-booting to CLI I install KDE and stuff to get a lean fast KDE Debian as noted (no gnome):
Code:
apt-get install x-window-system
apt-get install alsa alsa-utils
apt-get install kde-core synaptic libgnome2-perl mozilla-firefox gnome-system-tools kdm
apt-get install pmount hal usbmount
apt-get upgrade 
/etc/init.d/kdm start
Then keep adding whatever else you need after sprucing up your sources.list.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
trebek

Original Poster
Lightbulb

Thanks again for the response, i ended up installing kde on debian, and got it down pretty nice, only to reinstall kubuntu.

Either way, another learning experience at least, or most.

LQ rules, thanks a lot guys.