LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
bjorner
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
debian-edu grub -> menu.lst

Hello I've made a mess out of menu.lst.Ive installed debian edu with all upgrades. I deleted some of the entries in menu.lst. both 2.6.18-4 and 2.18-5. I've kept 2.6.18-4 and an other os. It seems that I have deleted the wrong one because it wan't boot into graphical mood any more. I just need a copy I manage the disk arrangement(hd 0,0 etc. etc). I'm new to debian and grub seems a bit different than gentoo, fedora, and redhat. I hope somebody can help me.

Best Regards
Bjørn

Old 08-30-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
pixellany
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
First, open up /boot and see what the installed kernels are. You can simply make entries in menu.lst for all of them. (I find it easiest to make soft links to the actual file names---so I don't have to type long names.)

Here is the standard format:
title MEPIS_6
root (hd0,2)....................points to the location of /boot
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3......."vmlinuz" is the name of the kernel as it appears in /boot. In my case, it is a soft link to the actual kernel name. The "root" entry tells the kernel where to mount the filesystem
initrd /boot/initrd......."initrd" is also a soft link to the actual name of the file
boot

Quote:
I just need a copy I manage the disk arrangement(hd 0,0 etc. etc)
I don't understand this.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 244Reputation: 244Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorner View Post
Hello I've made a mess out of menu.lst.Ive installed debian edu with all upgrades. I deleted some of the entries in menu.lst. both 2.6.18-4 and 2.18-5. I've kept 2.6.18-4 and an other os. It seems that I have deleted the wrong one because it wan't boot into graphical mood any more. I just need a copy I manage the disk arrangement(hd 0,0 etc. etc). I'm new to debian and grub seems a bit different than gentoo, fedora, and redhat. I hope somebody can help me.

Best Regards
Bjørn
Seems like you kept the the failsafe mode instead of the normal boot option you can just use the Grub command prompt to boot the machine then fix your menu.lst. Try booting like this after you hit the c key when you see the Grub splash screen to get to its command prompt.

Code:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro
boot
This should boot into graphical mode on an install that is on a IDE hard disk with a root partition as the first one on the drive. You would need to change the root (hd0,0) and root=/dev/hda1 parts if they are different for your machine then once booted change the menu.lst file to contain an entry for a normal boot basically just copying then editing the failsafe mode something like this below.

Change from:

Code:
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.22.1-cfs-v19  (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro single
savedefault
To:

Code:
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.22.1-cfs-v19  
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro 
savedefault