LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Butterbroetchen

Rep: Reputation: 15
Savage module on T23 X crashes

Hi All,

I am having a problem with my T23 with Fedora 7.
It uses the savage module and has dri enabled so thats cool but when I try and start a game that goes full screen (and I am assuming changes the resolution) xorg just restarts all of a sudden and I am back at the gdm and can login again

I have tried using the vesa driver but that just spits out jibberisch. I have tried my hard drive in two other t23's and they all seem to have the same problem.

Does any one have any Ideas what I can do? How do I disable DRI?
Maybe thats the issue?

Other than that it works like a charm...
By the way this is what lspci spits out:

Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. SuperSavage IX/C SDR (rev 05)
All suggestions welcome

Thanks

Old 08-19-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Minnek
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Just want to let you know you're not alone in this problem. I'm a newbie to Linux so I'm fairly lost as to what I should post in order to help the veterans and supertechs help us understand what's going on. (I'm sure it'll involve commands like dmesg and grep *stuff* and whereis mywallet.)

I also am on a Thinkpad T23 with Fedora 7 installed - I installed from the Live CD, if that matters in any fashion. Fully updated Xorg modules across the board, as well.

Anyway, it's not a unique problem - I have the same issues, tested it over a number of different conditions to come to the same conclusion (such as enabling desktop effects in gnome with beryl, running full-screen applications/games, and such).

It's something only recent in the module, I think, because the savage module didn't have dri enabled until a recent release; it was bugged/broken in releases since right around when FC6 came out.

Speaking of older versions of savage... Testing on an older compilation of the module - which I recompiled and kept as a backup so I could use dri until they fixed it - shows a crash as well iirc, but not the restarting of X. X just hangs in place, instead.

Anyway, anything we can do to help get this ball rolling? It's a very disconcerting problem that's got me in a tight place (since a lot of the applications I'm developing enjoy full screen capabilities which I cannot test on my own compy at this point, making it a bit arduous.)

Last edited by Minnek; 08-19-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
Butterbroetchen

Original Poster
I am glad I am not the only one Don't feel quite so alone now...

It just seems nobody cares about this at all. Are there so few people using this module/chip? I can't imagine this. Who is the maintainer of the module? How do I find out who it is maybe this person is not aware of this issue at all.

I am quite frustrated at the moment and I do not realy want to move to a different distro. Do others have this issue aswell?
Ubuntu, Suse or Mandrake etc?

If someone could just tell me who to speak to I would be happy. I don't expect a solve all resolution I would just like to be pointed in the right direction.

Please any one.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
Minnek
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
It's not the distro; it's actually the Xorg driver itself. So swapping distros will not help.

You'd have to inquire about it with the Xorg bugteam and find out what you need to post for info on the bug.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Butterbroetchen

Original Poster
Good News everyone. I have posted to the xorg mailing list and have received an answer from them that this issue has been fixed in the git version of the driver and in the recently released xorg-x11-drv-savage-2.1.3 version as well.

Now all I need to find out is how to get this version as it does not seem to be released for Fedora 7 yet. Probably I just need to be patient and wait.

I have downloaded the git version and tried to install it (which seemed to work fine) but I still have the same error...
Maybe someone else can try it and see if they have any luck. Maybe see what I did wrong or what you did right
Here is what I did:
Code:
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-savage
cd xf86-video-savage
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make
make install
Thanks to Alex Deucher from the xorg mailing list for helping out at this stage.

I hope this helps us get closer to a solution to this issue.

Cheers

Last edited by Butterbroetchen; 08-23-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling