LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
liquid1
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to configure Debian to be a Webserver and FTP server?

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to linux. I know how to install debian on my box and how to navigate around the command line a bit we well as some of the GUI's. Here's my query: I have a PC that I'd like to turn into a webserver, ftp, and mail server. I'd basically like to be able to serve up some webpages and use Gallery to show off some pics to my extended family and the like. What packages would I need to install via apt-get to get everything up running properly and securely and fairly lean? I've attepmted to find a HOWTO on this (tldp.org, debian.org) but so far I've turned up nothing. The webserver and ftp server is my primary want right now and I'd probably work on the mail server idea later. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Old 07-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
tofu
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 1
There are so many different web servers and ftp servers that I really couldn't begin to make a recommendation.

However, to find a web server, try searching for httpd in dselect. Apache is perhaps the most popular in part because it is so powerful. If you can't find a web server by searching for httpd, search for apache.

Similarly, you can find an FTP server by searching for ftpd and a mail server by searching for smtpd. All these programs are probably contained in the net category. One day when you have time, sit down and read through all of them - there are some great programs in there.

The server types you've specified by the way, are notorious for having security problems. Hackers love web server and ftp servers and spammers love misconfigured mail servers. So what ever you do, please please please take the time to read every last word of documentation that comes with whatever programs you install.

I also suggest you install a firewall and block all access to your machine. Then selectively allow the IPs of those few people you want to have access.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
stiles
LQ Newbie

Distribution: debian

apt-get install apache postfix vsftpd

well that is what I would do Exim is already installed so you really already have an email MTA installed.

if you want to search the packages I suggest using apt-cache search <search_string> , I really dislike dselect. Aptitude is much better if you want to just look around IMO.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
naflan

Distribution: Slackware 14.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
I recently set up a web server to display pics too. Here are some useful links.

Domain name with dynamic IP

Coppermine photo gallery

put all htdocs in /var/www/ or ~/public_html (this is accessed in web browser as www.your_domain/~user/)

For ftp, do search
#apt-cache search ftp | less

Old 07-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
liquid1
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the help so far!

Shane

Old 06-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
sridhar11

Debian Server Setup Tutorial

check this complete debian server setup guide

Read here

Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
SweetLou

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 30
Don't forget to install PHP. If you are going to use Gallery, you will need PHP. If you use Gallery >= 2, then you will also need a database server, probably MySQL or Postgres.
Imagemagick would be good also for thumbnail creation.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
zer0hmz

Here's another setup guide that covers everything you mentioned (note: it does NOT lock them down, just shows you how to get them up and running). This is the one I'm currently going through (a little every night), so far so good.

www.aboutdebian.com

Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
WTF_6iu1fyz
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up

Of course, if you want more in-depth info, I suggest you take a look at The Debian Handbook on http://debian-handbook.info/.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
JLndr

Distribution: Debian 7.1

Rep: Reputation: 3
Although this site applies to their services, Linode has great how-to guides that are well written. Here is a link to help get you started and up and running within a matter of minutes: https://library.linode.com/hosting-website

Don't forget to take a look at some of their other guides, such as: how to secure your server, etc.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
fbmac
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu View Post
There are so many different web servers and ftp servers that I really couldn't begin to make a recommendation.

However, to find a web server, try searching for httpd in dselect. Apache is perhaps the most popular in part because it is so powerful. If you can't find a web server by searching for httpd, search for apache.

Similarly, you can find an FTP server by searching for ftpd and a mail server by searching for smtpd. All these programs are probably contained in the net category. One day when you have time, sit down and read through all of them - there are some great programs in there.

The server types you've specified by the way, are notorious for having security problems. Hackers love web server and ftp servers and spammers love misconfigured mail servers. So what ever you do, please please please take the time to read every last word of documentation that comes with whatever programs you install.

I also suggest you install a firewall and block all access to your machine. Then selectively allow the IPs of those few people you want to have access.
Something as old as an webserver should be easy out of the box. I'll be disappointed, but not surprised, if that is still the case

Old 12-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
evo2
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mostly Debian and CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbmac View Post
Something as old as an webserver should be easy out of the box. I'll be disappointed, but not surprised, if that is still the case
Please don't necro threads.