LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Chryzmo

Distribution: Slackware 10.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
ddclient Reporting LAN Address

Hey all,

First off, if this is more of a software question and I'm in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. I figured it probably has to do with networking, as well...

I have ddclient set up on a Debian computer that I would like to use as a server. It seems to be reporting my LAN address to dyndns.com instead of my ISP's address. I can use avuton.homelinux.net to connect, but anyone outside cannot connect. I had someone run a tracert and it seems to be pointing to 192.168.1.103.

I am behind a Linksys router, but I thought I set up ddclient correctly. Does anyone have any ideas why this is?

Here is my /etc/ddclient.conf:

Code:
# Configuration file for ddclient generated by debconf
#
# /etc/ddclient.conf

pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
protocol=dyndns2
use=linksys, fw=192.168.1.1:80
server=members.dyndns.org
login=username
password=mypass
avuton.homelinux.net
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
seashell11

Distribution: Ubuntu Maverick

Rep: Reputation: 16
I had the same problem when I was setting up ddclient. I did get it to work right though. I can't remember what I did and my config file is on my computer at work. Tomorrow at work I will post an answer.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Chryzmo

Original Poster
Ah, that'd be awesome. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
seashell11

Hey I'm here at work now, and I went and looked at my config file, and it looks like I gave up on having it update from my router. Here is what I did.
Code:
use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.org/, web-skip='IP Address' # found after IP Address
This will get the IP address off the web.

And I noticed your other thread http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=395143 did you get this solved? Because if you didn't, on Ubuntu when I installed ddclient via apt-get it makes two config files. One is located in /etc/ddclient.conf and the other one in /etc/default/ddclient. This last one is where you can manually change the amount of time between updates.

And oh, by the way, if you do use the web to update your ip address you will have to go manually change it back to that if you ever run dpkg-reconfigure on ddclient.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:06 AM   #5
Chryzmo

Original Poster
Thanks a lot seashell, that did it!

Now I've got another problem. It seems that ddclient is reporting the correct IP address, but people outside my LAN cannot connect to the server.

They get the username and password screen, so they obviously reach my server. However they then get an error saying

"An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
The connection with the server was reset"

The permissions are set because if I connect via the LAN address it works just fine, using the same user name and password.

Does Debian have some sort of default firewall that I may need to modify to enable FTP?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-24-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
seashell11

No problem glad to be of help. But I am kind of a at this myself, (just got ddclient running about a week ago) and am still trying to figure out apache for an htp server myself. I did get it so that people could get on to my website, but at first firestarter was blocking outside requests. I don't know about debian though if it installs with a firewall running or not? If a firewall was what is blocking you though, I wouldn't think that you would get the user name/password screen at all. Can the ftp server be configured to block requests from outside IP addresses? I don't know, just taking some wild guesses. Would advise you to get help from someone else. But were you trying this from Internet explorer? Because a quick google search brought up this http://www.google.com/search?q=An+er...-US:unofficial

But if you do figure something out could you post it on here? Because I am planning on setting up an ftp server on my computer yet, and would like to no the outcome of this. Sorry I couldn't help more.