LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #1
pete1000
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Rep: Reputation: 0
wireless not working

you may have noticed i've been posting alot here in the past few days....

I have only been using linux since last saturday and i'm having lots and lots of trouble...

i still cant get my mouse working properly, i have no sound and i've re-installed about 6 times coz i keep breaking things...

My main issue though is to get the wireless working so i can fix problems without having to boot into windows to look up answers!!!

Im on an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium with onboard Wi-fi....

The only info I can get about it is:

ASUS 802.11b/g wireless LAN card

in XP, its using a Marvell driver...

when i try to find it automatically it cant be found.....has anyone had this same problem or know an answer????

like i said, i'm really new and i'm really struggling to learn how linux works

Old 10-06-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
shilo

Distribution: Slackware 11 - kernel 2.6.19.1 - Dropline Gnome 2.16.2

Rep: Reputation: 50
From what I can see both on Google and by looking here http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us , there is no Linux driver for that wireless NIC. You will have to try ndiswrapper, which "wraps" the windows driver and tries to use it for Linux. Never had to use NdisWrapper myself, but that will get you started finding the answer.

The mouse is usually a simple edit of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (usually you just add the last line)

Code:
# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ImPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection
***EDIT***
Sorry, just read your other post. Looks like this won't help. My guess is that you will need to choose the right protocol, though I have no idea what that is for your mouse.
***/EDIT***

For sound, as root:
Code:
alsaconf
alsamixer #un-mute the channels and set the volumes
alsactl store

Last edited by shilo; 10-06-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
I believe the only driver that you can use, is ndiswrapper . As far as I know, there is no native Linux driver for this chipset.

I have an ndiswrapper Slackware package at http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...pper/pkg/10.2/ but it's for the 2.6.13 kernel.
If you want to re-build it for the 2.4 kernel (or any other kernel) download everything in http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...wrapper/build/ and then run the script
Code:
./ndiswrapper.SlackBuild
as root.

Make sure to read the ndiswrapper documentation, because you need to feed it your Windows driver files (the .INF and .SYS files at a minimum).
After you've configured ndiswrapper, add this line to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.modules so that ndiswrapper loads at every boot:
Code:
/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
Run
Code:
ndiswrapper -l
to check if the driver is installed correctly, and whether your hardware is being detected by ndiswrapper.

Eric

Old 10-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
pete1000
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks for all the help...

i downloaded the latest ndiswrapper from their site before you answered the post...

it installed fine and after half an hour of screwing around, i managed to connect to the network at my house...

then when i tried to use the internet, it worked for a bit, then froze my computer...i couldn't open a new terminal, ctrl-alt-del didn't work etc....i had to turn the comp off at the power. this happened twice

@Alien Bob

if i re-build your package and use your driver, will that stop Slackware from crashing???

and also, will running the ./ndiswrapper.SlackBuild create a package that i can see in the package manager of KDE???

Old 10-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
I would suggest not using the latest ndiswrapper. The rc versions are causing a lot of trouble for people. Instead try the 1.2 version (you can get it from the ndiswrapper sourceforge site, just click on the show all files link).

Old 10-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106Reputation: 8106
Quote:
Originally posted by pete1000

if i re-build your package and use your driver, will that stop Slackware from crashing???

and also, will running the ./ndiswrapper.SlackBuild create a package that i can see in the package manager of KDE???
You can use the ndiswrapper.SlackBuild script to build any other version of ndiswrapper that you download, as long as you edit the VERSION variable that is inside that script, so that it matches the version of the ndiswrapper source tarball.

I.e. when you download ndiswrapper-1.2.tar.gz (as suggested by Hangdog42 because 1.4rc1 might be too unstable), you change
Code:
VERSION=1.4rc1
to
Code:
VERSION=1.2
and then start the script.

I never used KDE's graphical package manager, but I assume it will be able to handle the package you create with the script, because it is a normal Slackware package like all the others on the Slackware CD's.

Cheers, Eric

Old 10-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
ComputerErik

Distribution: Debian, RHEL

Rep: Reputation: 54
I got my wireless working by using ndiswrapper. I compiled from scratch and built it around the drivers on the CD that came with the card following the instructions that are on the ndiswrapper page. It was pretty straight forward, and once I finished everything it worked flawlessly.

Still haven't got around to setting up WPA though, but I guess WEP is better than nothing, and it was easier to get setup properly.