LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2004, 08:01 AM   #1
emacinnes
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Cool Linux on Presario 2500 disabled firewire and usb

Original Problem:

Fedora Core 1 hangs just after Checking Disks.
Red Had Linux 9.0 hangs on Checking for new Hardware.

Installing cleanly on a Presario 2500 (256Mb RAM, 30Gb HD - cutting edge ;-)).

Solution:

After lots of back and forth installing Linux on a Compaq Presario 2500, I finally managed to get Red Hat 9.0 to run:

The boot parameters (configured during setup), needed to have

nofirewire nousb

To check this out without reinstalling, when GRUB starts, just press a, and add in the nofirewire nousb parameters, to check.

The noprobe parameter had no impact on failure to boot or not, as did the nopcmcia.

Legacy USB made no difference, on or off.

I'm checking this on Fedora Core 1 also, see if that works there too (tried that first, drove me nuts, and had more luck debugging what was going on during the 9.0 boot process.

The next step in the problem is seeing how to get the firewire and the USB running. Any takers?

Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
wilken
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSe 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Compaq Presario 2500

I had a similar problem with Red Hat. I installed Suse 8.2 and 9.0. 9.0 is great but I do have a prob. with the USB. It was working at one time but it seems to have bit the dust. My 256meg jump drive wont work or usb 2.0 DVD. Any ideas please advise.

Thanks,

Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
CyberDoc

Distribution: slackware, ubuntu server, kali linux, kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 16
Talking presario 2500

i had trouble also with this model running mandrake 9.1 the i updated to 10.1 and everything is working wonderful.
fireiwre,pcmcia,ATI video, usb etc. etc.... you get the idea