I have two boxes at home, one (the client, my workstation) running Mandrake 10, the other (the server) running Gentoo 2004.2.
The server is headless and I use ssh to get a command line on it, that works fine. (I also use webmin).
I run NFS on the server and have exported the root directory (rw) so I can mount its filesystem under
/mnt/server in my workstation - I've put the appropriate entry in /etc/fstab, and mount and umount behave as expected. So far so good (if not terribly secure, but it's all local).
Now, I open two shells, one on the client, the other via ssh on the server.
In the client shell if I type
ls -l /mnt/server I get (almost) the same listing as typing ls -l / in the server shell - so the filesystem is mounted and browseable, up to a point.
But when I look into the subdirectories, it is very different. Actually there is a clue in the root listing because the number of files in each directory is different depending on whether it is viewed via the NFS mount or directly through the ssh shell.
Permissions doesn't seem to be the problem, because there are two files with identical ownership and permissions in the directory concerned - one shows up via NFS, the other doesn't.
The only line in /etc/exports on the server reads:
I'm baffled but suspect there is something obvious I'm missing.