LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #4501
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Windows 8, mate. The wiki barely mentions how to install mlbviewer on it.
 
Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #4502
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
Windows 8, mate. The wiki barely mentions how to install mlbviewer on it.
Don't have 8 so I cannot test it. If you can get cygwin installed on Windows 8, then the required packages should be the same. Though some extra packages you'll need to get those running are definitely missing from the Wiki.

How about you tell me how far you got and where you are stuck? I may not get a chance to install a Windows VM and write up the procedure until the weekend.
 
Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #4503
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
Don't have 8 so I cannot test it. If you can get cygwin installed on Windows 8, then the required packages should be the same. Though some extra packages you'll need to get those running are definitely missing from the Wiki.

How about you tell me how far you got and where you are stuck? I may not get a chance to install a Windows VM and write up the procedure until the weekend.
I didn't really get far the first time. When I started mlbviewer.py under the terminal, I got missing hash error. There was a guy on here who wrote a guide but that was for the older version of mlbviewer
 
Old 06-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #4504
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
I didn't really get far the first time. When I started mlbviewer.py under the terminal, I got missing hash error. There was a guy on here who wrote a guide but that was for the older version of mlbviewer
I had a lot of free time at work today to run through a Cygwin install and document it on the Wiki.

See if you can follow the procedure here: https://sourceforge.net/p/mlbviewer/wiki/Cygwin/
 
Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #4505
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767

Rep: Reputation: 76
I cannot however verify the media actually plays correctly. Work firewall blocks the RTMP port and the nexdef stream has yet to work for me. It may be network but I suspect the windows build is not quite on parity with the Linux build.

At least you have GPU acceleration of Flash in Windows so the Flash experience may not be so terrible if we cannot find a suitable media player for Windows.
 
Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #4506
mgoetze
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
Which player are you using?
mplayer2.

I figured out the problem, my video is messed up if I have a certain game (Europa Universalis IV) running minimized.
 
Old 06-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #4507
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
I had a lot of free time at work today to run through a Cygwin install and document it on the Wiki.

See if you can follow the procedure here: [URL="https://sourceforge.net/p/mlbviewer/wiki/Cygwin/"]https://sourceforge.net/p/mlbviewer/wiki/Cygwin/
Uh oh, can't seem to get nexdef to work

Edit: looks like I sorted it out. Didn't mention the --build in the libconfig....Or had the libcurl file

Last edited by Redbullsnation; 06-14-2014 at 03:41 AM.
 
Old 06-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #4508
lcvisser
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I created a "remote control" app for mlbplay that allows to select a game to watch via a webinterface. This lets you use a phone or tablet to start watching a game on a different computer (e.g. a media pc connected to the TV). It wraps very thinly around mlbplay and uses some of the functionality from mlbviewer to get a list of available games.

Since LQ doesn't allow me to post links in the first post, I will follow up with a link to the GitHub page and more details.
 
Old 06-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #4509
pajamian
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 0
Feature Request: Alternate Audio

Just watching the Angels/Braves game today and only the Braves video feed is available today. What I do in these cases is mute the audio in the video player, launch a second copy of mlbviewer and listen to the Angels audio feed in there. It would be nice if there was an option to do this in the one player possibly with some amount of automation in these cases. It may require launching two separate copies of mplayer in the background and not sure what can be done to help keep the two feeds in sync (that is always a problem when I have to do this because I hate having to listen to the other teams feed).
 
Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #4510
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I too would like audio overlay, so I don't have to listen to Joe Buck
 
Old 06-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #4511
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767

Rep: Reputation: 76
That's already in the Nexdef stream. If you use mplayer/mplayer2/mpv, you can switch between TV and radio broadcasts using the # key in the mplayer window (mlbviewer doesn't pass input to mplayer) after playback begins.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #4512
pajamian
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftcat View Post
That's already in the Nexdef stream. If you use mplayer/mplayer2/mpv, you can switch between TV and radio broadcasts using the # key in the mplayer window (mlbviewer doesn't pass input to mplayer) after playback begins.
Right, but the Nexdef stream doesn't usually contain all the available audio feeds for a game. For example in today's game the only available video stream was the Braves broadcast. There was alternate audio of the Braves radio broadcast in the NexDef stream, but I wanted to listen to the Angel's radio broadcast. In the end I had to mute the video player and launch a separate audio player to get the Angel's radio broadcast. I'd like an option to play that audio stream from the same mlbviewer instance.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 AM   #4513
Redbullsnation
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Can't get nexdef to work right. I'm getting cache errors, here.

Also, does anyone know how to record the streams to play it offline??
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #4514
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajamian View Post
Right, but the Nexdef stream doesn't usually contain all the available audio feeds for a game. For example in today's game the only available video stream was the Braves broadcast. There was alternate audio of the Braves radio broadcast in the NexDef stream, but I wanted to listen to the Angel's radio broadcast. In the end I had to mute the video player and launch a separate audio player to get the Angel's radio broadcast. I'd like an option to play that audio stream from the same mlbviewer instance.
Yeah, sorry. That's not supported and I won't work on that. mlbviewer connects media streamer and media players to media but it is itself not in the media business itself. That would take a lower level of programming that I just don't want to undertake. You have the tools to do it yourself and you already understand the synchronization issue. I don't have any extra information or tricks in the media responses to do the kind of thing you're looking for or synchronize playback between processes.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 AM   #4515
daftcat
mlbviewer Maintainer
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,767

Rep: Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
Can't get nexdef to work right. I'm getting cache errors, here.

Also, does anyone know how to record the streams to play it offline??
As I said before, mlbviewer really wasn't designed for Windows. You're pretty much at the mercy of the media player and many of them do not support the nexdef mgeg-ts format at all or not very well. At least on Linux, the ffmpeg development is a bit swifter. If you're feeling brave, you can try to build your own mplayer2 or mpv in the cygwin environment. Though that is a lot of extra libraries you have to track down. I'm not posting instructions on that.

As for recording, it's a grey area of the Terms And Service. It is not explicitly forbidden (like using proxies to circumvent blackouts--don't even ask me for that), but it is also not a feature of the MLB.TV service. In fact, it may even step on a revenue stream as I believe individual games are available for purchase from iTunes. So I'll say it is possible to use mlbviewer to record, but I'm not going to say how. You may want to read the documentation of your media player.
 
  


Reply

Tags
help, install, installation, instructions, seek, vlc, windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mlb.com gameday audio stream statmobile Linux - Newbie 6 05-06-2008 11:16 PM
link dies intermittently-seemingly at random- between win<->linux not linux<->linux?? takahaya Linux - Networking 10 03-09-2007 11:37 PM
triple boot linux/linux/linux No Windows involved toastermaker Linux - Newbie 12 03-02-2006 11:40 PM
Redhat (rhel v2.1) bootup problem with linux (linux vs linux-up) namgor Linux - Software 2 06-24-2004 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration