LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Newbie (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/)
-   -   No "Shutdown" sound in Linux Mint7 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/no-shutdown-sound-in-linux-mint7-789554/)

@aloss 02-16-2010 03:58 PM

No "Shutdown" sound in Linux Mint7
 
Hi folks,

I've installed Linux Mint7 (Desktop PC, Dual booting with WinXP) and most of my 'system notification' sounds work fine, with the notable exception of the 'Shutdown' sound. (All I get are several 'beeps' from the PC speaker.)
When I run Mint from a live CD, I don't have this problem at all. - Any one have any ideas?
P.S. (I'm quite new to Linux and completely new to asking questions here, so apologies in advance, if I've left out any vital info.!)

jefro 02-16-2010 04:14 PM

It might be that the sound server is being shut down too fast. Might be an issue with acpi or other power setting. I guess you could put some sleeps in to slow it down but not worth the effort.

Might as well install Mint 8 see if that corrects it.

@aloss 02-16-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 3866058)
It might be that the sound server is being shut down too fast. Might be an issue with acpi or other power setting. I guess you could put some sleeps in to slow it down but not worth the effort.

Might as well install Mint 8 see if that corrects it.

Thanks jefro. - I think you're right about the sound server closing down too fast. - I just wondered if there was an easy-(ish) way to fix/change that.
(Thanks for the quick reply!)

jefro 02-16-2010 09:04 PM

Might paw through this for ideas where to look.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/shutdown

evo2 02-16-2010 09:25 PM

Interesting, I'd have thought that not hearing a "shutdown sound" was a feature, and that the problem was working out how to disable the other sounds ;-)

Cheers,

Evo2.

@aloss 02-17-2010 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo2 (Post 3866344)
interesting, i'd have thought that not hearing a "shutdown sound" was a feature, and that the problem was working out how to disable the other sounds ;-)

cheers,

evo2.

:d :d

@aloss 02-17-2010 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefro (Post 3866337)
Might paw through this for ideas where to look.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/shutdown

Thanks for your time. - (I'll try installing Mint8 in the meantime and get back to you with the results.) :-)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.