LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Linux - Hardware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/)
-   -   [Ubuntu 12.10] disable front panel detection (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/%5Bubuntu-12-10%5D-disable-front-panel-detection-4175467823/)

shanmukhateja 06-29-2013 10:32 AM

[Ubuntu 12.10] disable front panel detection
 
I have a faulty front panel [hardware fault] and whenever I play a file in Ubuntu, the audio just fluctuates the audio playback. I am using windows 7 ultimate too wherein I disabled the front panel jack detection.
Help me out

Thanks

Doc CPU 06-29-2013 11:30 AM

Hi there,

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4980768)
I have a faulty front panel [hardware fault] ...

why don't you simply disconnect the faulty front panel and use the backplane connectors instead?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4980768)
I am using windows 7 ultimate too wherein I disabled the front panel jack detection.

That's surprising me a lot, because usually the front panel jacks are simply connected in parallel to the rear panel. I've never seen a setup where it was possible for a software (or driver) to detect the presence of either, and can't imagine how that would be possible in the first place.

Just to make sure: We're talking about the ordinary Line Out audio jack, are we?

[X] Doc CPU

shanmukhateja 06-29-2013 11:02 PM

actually its just a loose contact type thing
 
its a loose contact wherein I keep on receiving notifications like jack has been unplugged/plugged etc. So disabling front panel detection has solved the problem and also I cannot remove the front panel because I need the USB port of it.

Besides, I rarely use the microphone or the headphone. So I don't need to unplug the front panel.

Disabling the front panel detection is all I require [like in Windows]. Kindly help me :D

Doc CPU 06-30-2013 04:21 AM

Hi there,

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4980990)
its a loose contact wherein I keep on receiving notifications like jack has been unplugged/plugged etc. So disabling front panel detection has solved the problem and also I cannot remove the front panel because I need the USB port of it.

oh, of course I didn't mean to remove the entire front panel, just the audio connector that probably connects to some pin header on the mainboard (if your PC has audio integrated) or on the sound card (if you're using a separate, dedicated card).

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4980990)
Disabling the front panel detection is all I require [like in Windows].

I see your point, but I can't imagine how this is physically possible. If I could, I'd be happy to tell you, but so far I'm simply puzzled by the very fact it is. This would require an extra feedback sensor reporting to the hardware whether anything is plugged in or not, plus a sound card with two separate outputs. Such a sensor isn't present on standard hardware, neither a dual-output sound card, and I've never seen a system where it is - except maybe a 5.1 sound card, these can possibly be operated in dual stereo driving two different stereo outputs, though I've never seen or read about that, either.

Either way, it must be something quite special that you have. If you told us the make and model of your mainboard or sound card (whatever is appropriate here), and the audio wiring in your PC case, we might be able to get to a solution - because I'd rather look for a solution on the hardware side, not in software. Otherwise I'm running out of ideas.

[X] Doc CPU

shanmukhateja 06-30-2013 05:31 AM

thank u but...
 
thank u for the response. The notifications I keep talking about are for Windows 7 not Ubuntu..sorry I missed that point and as far as the config. goes:
AMD Athlon X2 270 Processor @ 3.14ghz
4x1GB RAM
AMD Radeon 3000 Graphics [1GB Integrated]
Mobo: DL-A76MLKFC
The sound panel is the integrated to the mobo [u knw integrated with the mobo "default one"] and about the audio drivers:
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBX00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device 0e26

Doc CPU 06-30-2013 09:13 AM

Hi there,

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4981098)
AMD Athlon X2 270 Processor @ 3.14ghz
4x1GB RAM
AMD Radeon 3000 Graphics [1GB Integrated]

that's not relevant, but the following is, in my view:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4981098)
Mobo: DL-A76MLKFC

This one?

I just downloaded the manual and browsed through the description and specs. In section 1-1 I actually found the phrase "Support Jack-Sensing function" for the audio features, which is what I described as a necessary precondition for your problem in my previous post (and I repeat: That's a completely new feature to me).

But still, my prime recommendation is to simply disconnect the front panel audio jacks fromthe mainboard: Detach the cable from the front panel audio header, which is (7) in the illustration in section 1-2 of the manual, just at the edge of the board next to the outer PCI slot. That should disable the front panel audio jacks on the hardware side.

[X] Doc CPU

shanmukhateja 07-01-2013 01:10 AM

i dont want that...
 
i could do that but instead i just want a software way to disable the detection completely
the hardware way is not a solution to me as windows has that option
so if windows has it then so can ubuntu right??
you feel me???

Doc CPU 07-01-2013 04:19 AM

Hi there,

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4981497)
i could do that but instead i just want a software way to disable the detection completely
the hardware way is not a solution to me as windows has that option

then we're different in that aspect: I always prefer hardware solutions over software workarounds. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanmukhateja (Post 4981497)
so if windows has it then so can ubuntu right??

Not necessarily. AFAIK, the Linux audio drivers don't support such an auto-detect feature.
Sorry I can't tell you better news.

[X] Doc CPU

TobiSGD 07-08-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc CPU (Post 4981071)
I see your point, but I can't imagine how this is physically possible. If I could, I'd be happy to tell you, but so far I'm simply puzzled by the very fact it is. This would require an extra feedback sensor reporting to the hardware whether anything is plugged in or not, plus a sound card with two separate outputs. Such a sensor isn't present on standard hardware, neither a dual-output sound card, and I've never seen a system where it is - except maybe a 5.1 sound card, these can possibly be operated in dual stereo driving two different stereo outputs, though I've never seen or read about that, either.

Either way, it must be something quite special that you have. If you told us the make and model of your mainboard or sound card (whatever is appropriate here), and the audio wiring in your PC case, we might be able to get to a solution - because I'd rather look for a solution on the hardware side, not in software. Otherwise I'm running out of ideas.

[X] Doc CPU

Just to clarify this, any modern motherboard has this feature and many modern cases have actually two headers for front audio on the same cable, one called AC97 (the older standard without jack sensing) and one called either HD-Audio or Azalia. So one solution might be to actually open the case and look if you have an AC97 header on your front audio wires and use that, so that you have front audio without jack sensing (the mainboard should autodetect the type of header you use).
I wouldn't know of a different solution for this issue.

Doc CPU 07-08-2013 04:47 PM

Hi there,

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4986483)
Just to clarify this, any modern motherboard has this feature ...

maybe, but yet I've never seen that. The latest mainboard I bought and installed is hardly two years old, and that doesn't have this feature. Neither has any of the previous ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4986483)
and many modern cases have actually two headers for front audio on the same cable, one called AC97 (the older standard without jack sensing)

That's what I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4986483)
and one called either HD-Audio or Azalia.

I've seen these a few times, too, but not with the feature of jack sensing (at least not mentioned). By the way, the audio pin headers vary from one manufacturer to another, and "HD audio" doesn't necessarily include the jack sensing feature. It just means that the sound chip is capable of playing 5.1 or even 7.1 channels at sampling rates of up to 96kHz.

Apart from that, I usually didn't connect the front audio jacks at all because I have no use for them. All wiring is at the backplane, the only front connection I use from time to time is a USB port.

[X] Doc CPU


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.