LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
shanmukhateja
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 6

Rep: Reputation: 0
[Ubuntu 12.10] disable front panel detection


I have a faulty front panel [hardware fault] and whenever I play a file in Ubuntu, the audio just fluctuates the audio playback. I am using windows 7 ultimate too wherein I disabled the front panel jack detection.
Help me out

Thanks
 
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,061

Rep: Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
I have a faulty front panel [hardware fault] ...
why don't you simply disconnect the faulty front panel and use the backplane connectors instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
I am using windows 7 ultimate too wherein I disabled the front panel jack detection.
That's surprising me a lot, because usually the front panel jacks are simply connected in parallel to the rear panel. I've never seen a setup where it was possible for a software (or driver) to detect the presence of either, and can't imagine how that would be possible in the first place.

Just to make sure: We're talking about the ordinary Line Out audio jack, are we?

[X] Doc CPU
 
Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
shanmukhateja
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy actually its just a loose contact type thing

its a loose contact wherein I keep on receiving notifications like jack has been unplugged/plugged etc. So disabling front panel detection has solved the problem and also I cannot remove the front panel because I need the USB port of it.

Besides, I rarely use the microphone or the headphone. So I don't need to unplug the front panel.

Disabling the front panel detection is all I require [like in Windows]. Kindly help me
 
Old 06-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,061

Rep: Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
its a loose contact wherein I keep on receiving notifications like jack has been unplugged/plugged etc. So disabling front panel detection has solved the problem and also I cannot remove the front panel because I need the USB port of it.
oh, of course I didn't mean to remove the entire front panel, just the audio connector that probably connects to some pin header on the mainboard (if your PC has audio integrated) or on the sound card (if you're using a separate, dedicated card).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
Disabling the front panel detection is all I require [like in Windows].
I see your point, but I can't imagine how this is physically possible. If I could, I'd be happy to tell you, but so far I'm simply puzzled by the very fact it is. This would require an extra feedback sensor reporting to the hardware whether anything is plugged in or not, plus a sound card with two separate outputs. Such a sensor isn't present on standard hardware, neither a dual-output sound card, and I've never seen a system where it is - except maybe a 5.1 sound card, these can possibly be operated in dual stereo driving two different stereo outputs, though I've never seen or read about that, either.

Either way, it must be something quite special that you have. If you told us the make and model of your mainboard or sound card (whatever is appropriate here), and the audio wiring in your PC case, we might be able to get to a solution - because I'd rather look for a solution on the hardware side, not in software. Otherwise I'm running out of ideas.

[X] Doc CPU
 
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
shanmukhateja
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile thank u but...

thank u for the response. The notifications I keep talking about are for Windows 7 not Ubuntu..sorry I missed that point and as far as the config. goes:
AMD Athlon X2 270 Processor @ 3.14ghz
4x1GB RAM
AMD Radeon 3000 Graphics [1GB Integrated]
Mobo: DL-A76MLKFC
The sound panel is the integrated to the mobo [u knw integrated with the mobo "default one"] and about the audio drivers:
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBX00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device 0e26
 
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,061

Rep: Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
AMD Athlon X2 270 Processor @ 3.14ghz
4x1GB RAM
AMD Radeon 3000 Graphics [1GB Integrated]
that's not relevant, but the following is, in my view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
Mobo: DL-A76MLKFC
This one?

I just downloaded the manual and browsed through the description and specs. In section 1-1 I actually found the phrase "Support Jack-Sensing function" for the audio features, which is what I described as a necessary precondition for your problem in my previous post (and I repeat: That's a completely new feature to me).

But still, my prime recommendation is to simply disconnect the front panel audio jacks fromthe mainboard: Detach the cable from the front panel audio header, which is (7) in the illustration in section 1-2 of the manual, just at the edge of the board next to the outer PCI slot. That should disable the front panel audio jacks on the hardware side.

[X] Doc CPU
 
Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
shanmukhateja
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 6

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Angry i dont want that...

i could do that but instead i just want a software way to disable the detection completely
the hardware way is not a solution to me as windows has that option
so if windows has it then so can ubuntu right??
you feel me???
 
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,061

Rep: Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
i could do that but instead i just want a software way to disable the detection completely
the hardware way is not a solution to me as windows has that option
then we're different in that aspect: I always prefer hardware solutions over software workarounds. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmukhateja View Post
so if windows has it then so can ubuntu right??
Not necessarily. AFAIK, the Linux audio drivers don't support such an auto-detect feature.
Sorry I can't tell you better news.

[X] Doc CPU
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,653
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc CPU View Post
I see your point, but I can't imagine how this is physically possible. If I could, I'd be happy to tell you, but so far I'm simply puzzled by the very fact it is. This would require an extra feedback sensor reporting to the hardware whether anything is plugged in or not, plus a sound card with two separate outputs. Such a sensor isn't present on standard hardware, neither a dual-output sound card, and I've never seen a system where it is - except maybe a 5.1 sound card, these can possibly be operated in dual stereo driving two different stereo outputs, though I've never seen or read about that, either.

Either way, it must be something quite special that you have. If you told us the make and model of your mainboard or sound card (whatever is appropriate here), and the audio wiring in your PC case, we might be able to get to a solution - because I'd rather look for a solution on the hardware side, not in software. Otherwise I'm running out of ideas.

[X] Doc CPU
Just to clarify this, any modern motherboard has this feature and many modern cases have actually two headers for front audio on the same cable, one called AC97 (the older standard without jack sensing) and one called either HD-Audio or Azalia. So one solution might be to actually open the case and look if you have an AC97 header on your front audio wires and use that, so that you have front audio without jack sensing (the mainboard should autodetect the type of header you use).
I wouldn't know of a different solution for this issue.
 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Doc CPU
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Distribution: Mint, Debian, Gentoo, Win 2k/XP
Posts: 1,061

Rep: Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315Reputation: 315
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
Just to clarify this, any modern motherboard has this feature ...
maybe, but yet I've never seen that. The latest mainboard I bought and installed is hardly two years old, and that doesn't have this feature. Neither has any of the previous ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
and many modern cases have actually two headers for front audio on the same cable, one called AC97 (the older standard without jack sensing)
That's what I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiSGD View Post
and one called either HD-Audio or Azalia.
I've seen these a few times, too, but not with the feature of jack sensing (at least not mentioned). By the way, the audio pin headers vary from one manufacturer to another, and "HD audio" doesn't necessarily include the jack sensing feature. It just means that the sound chip is capable of playing 5.1 or even 7.1 channels at sampling rates of up to 96kHz.

Apart from that, I usually didn't connect the front audio jacks at all because I have no use for them. All wiring is at the backplane, the only front connection I use from time to time is a USB port.

[X] Doc CPU
 
  


Reply

Tags
ubuntu 12.10


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ubuntu 12.04/Gnome - How to disable all notifications in the top panel Ineed2know Linux - Desktop 1 12-07-2012 12:26 PM
Ubuntu 11.04 the front panel ear phone output is not responsive laaaxy Linux - Newbie 5 06-16-2011 08:47 AM
[SOLVED] Front Panel Sound and Mike th1bill Linux - Hardware 1 03-21-2011 11:49 AM
Front Panel Customization tomoki0621 AIX 1 04-23-2005 09:46 AM
Front panel Audigy 2 Dernier_recours Linux - Hardware 1 09-23-2003 11:59 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration